Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: How does everyone access their phone when carrying a backpack?

Volunteer Moderator
    @meekasmom There's no prohibition about mentioning or linking to other manufacturer's products if it's relevant to the discussion of a thread in which you are discussing the usage of TB products or features you want (without blatantly trying to redirect people to other products, as we've had some people join the forums for the express purpose of promoting competing products via links, comments, etc., or even statements in their signature lines. -- I kid you not! This is why the first few posts from new members are subject to moderation approval.)

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

well, that would just be rude to blatantly advertise here. and frankly, quite useless, given the high design and build quality of TB stuff. I think suggesting new products and giving ideas sometimes means referencing another product. But not sure how to do that without actually naming other designers. It's a fine line.
    eWalker likes this.

Amy
    I use my phone at least as often (or more) for texting and photos as for phone calls. So a bluetooth headset wouldn't really do it for me. Plus, I do not want to look like a douchebag walking around with a bluetooth earpiece. One exception would be when working a trade show when we call each other across the booth, and we need hands free to help customers. At those times, I feel like it's practical and logical to have a bluetooth earpiece (and look like a douchebag).

Thanks to @meekasmom for the link to the Velcro case; and also to both @Amy and @Ilkyway for their suggestions about the SE or the 3D Organizer Cube. The Side Effect is the way I carry my phone on my morning walk, or on trips to the grocery, so I already know how well the SE works for that. I hadn't thought about using the smaller 3D OC however; another brilliant suggestion from you, Ilkyway!

As for you, oh wise and wonderful @moriond, I'm beginning to think that perhaps you have some kind of cybernetic connection to the great TB database in the sky, because you know and remember every bag that any of us has ever had, or not had! Amazing! You are absolutely right; I never had the Buzz. But I did have, and I think somewhere hidden away where I can't find it I still do have, an Eddie Bauer sling bag, in burnt orange. It has that same phone carrying thing built into the strap, though without being able to find it, I can't test to see if it's big enough for my current phone. But even if it were large enough, that's not the backpack I want to carry. Currently I have the Plum Brain Bag, and I'm thinking of getting the Daylight. So maybe—although it isn't ideal because it involves carrying two bags rather than just one—the SE/3D Organizer Cube on a strap is the way to go.

And yes, once upon a time I tried a Jabra Bluetooth accessory and also found it annoying, moriond: for one thing, it kept falling out of my ear. And it was one more thing to worry about keeping charged.

Thanks to everybody!

~Nancy

very good point. I always assumed cd's and dvd's would last long. but what if we don't have machines with disk drives soon? and web storage isn't forever...

hmmm... should print out some of these babies soon. I love the paper and gloss of real photo's too.
    Last edited by meekasmom; 07-27-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    haraya and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'm slightly surprised there are not some techies describing their use of a paired Bluetooth headset in one ear, so that they don't physically have to access their phone to send and receive calls. Some possible choices: Jawbone Era, BlueAnt Q2 or Q3, Plantronics Voyager Pro -- all of which offer Voice activated/controlled use. (I will say that I found this annoying to use -- I simply don't spend that much time on the phone to make it worthwhile.)

HTH moriond
    I use my phone a lot for listening to audiobooks and podcasts while commuting, and it's in a Lifeproof case. While the case has paid for itself more than once by saving my phone from water, it is a pain in the behind to use headphones with it because that requires an adapter, which is a bit too annoying to just leave in place other than when actually using it. To get around this, I use a pair of Bluetooth headphones - maybe looking like a douchebag, but oh well - which has the added bonus of letting me keep my phone in my bag - in the S19, usually in the right front pocket.

For the S19, I have thought about clipping an OP with my phone in it onto the strap, but I think it would flap around and bug me. Plus I'm not sure I want my phone to be that obvious. Another option is to hang the OP off the grab handle between my back and the bag to keep the phone out of the way and out of sight, but that doesn't seem very comfortable.

Hmm. I think this merits more thought.

Okay, this is what I'm trying right now:

That's a triangular snap hook attached to the waist belt loop on my S19, with my SE clipped on. I usually carry my SE cross-body and vertically. This is pretty much the same only attached to the S19.

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    Okay, this is what I'm trying right now:

That's a triangular snap hook attached to the waist belt loop on my S19, with my SE clipped on. I usually carry my SE cross-body and vertically. This is pretty much the same only attached to the S19.
    That looks interesting. Where do you attach the other end?

I figured it you used two waist straps, you could kind of adapt the Side Effect into a super waist belt. There would be a lot of webbing slack to deal with though...
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

In my set-up, the other end of the SE is hanging down, not attached to anything. I have seen someone with the two-waist-strap solution here somewhere (moriond?) as well.

How does everyone access their phone when carrying a backpack?

Right now I use an older HP neoprene camera case for my work phone a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. Unfortunately it is too small to hold my personal phone, an iPhone 5s (soon to be 6 hopefully). It's nice as it has additional slots for easy access to my business cards and I flash drive. I have it attached to the shoulder strap webbing using to web dominators. I was going to try using anex clips to connect it but had the web dominators laying around. It would be great if TB would come out with pouches to attach to the web straps for carrying things such as phones or other items. I know some people like the clean design but sometimes function over rules looks.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    ok, I am taking the guesswork out. hope the moderator isn't touchy but TB doesn't make this one (yet) and probably won't given aversion to velcro:

3way Accessory Case | Protective Smartphone & iPhone Case
    This probably won't work with the Daylight unless you want to access your phone from the bottom of the straps. The Daylight's straps are thin and flexible. A case that velcros around the shoulder strap won't have a way hook to a specific point on the strap, so over time and with motion it will begin to slide in the direction that gravity pulls it. You'll start the walk with the case at your collar bone and end with it at your hip.

I think @Ilkyway and @Amy's suggestion of a small crossbody is the way to go. That's how I roll, and it is remarkably easy to manage because both the Daylight and my Side Effect are so light, even when packed with my EDC items. The Side Effect tucks into the Daylight whenever I want to stow it.
    ncb4 and Ilkyway like this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I use a Zimmerbuilt Shoulder Strap Pocket on my Synapse 25 and it works very well. Weight is 1 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by campfire View Post
    I use a Zimmerbuilt Shoulder Strap Pocket on my Synapse 25 and it works very well. Weight is 1 oz.
    Nice find and it's dyneema too! Any chance of getting any pics of it attached?

Quote Originally Posted by campfire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    Nice find and it's dyneema too! Any chance of getting any pics of it attached?
    Wow. Nice and it "looks" like Steel Dyneema! Lol.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 07-30-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Correction
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Wow. Nice and it "looks like Steel Dyneema! Lol.
    That's what I'm hoping it will match my dyneema S25.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast