• 3 Post By RhoFro
  • 2 Post By Amy
  • 1 Post By GoStanford
  • 4 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By blackbird
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Yarn stuff sacks vs Travel stuff sacks

Yarn stuff sacks vs Travel stuff sacks

I was considering getting the large TSS in my next order, but I noticed that the largest Yarn stuff sack is:
    - bigger
    - has a clip for a strap
    - and is cheaper!

I guess the thing the TSS has going for it, is that it doesn't have a circular bottom.

I don't knit, so would it be a mistake to get the YSS instead of the TSS? Even though the bottom is circular, I would assume the dyneema is flexible enough that I could still reasonably squish the sack fill any open space in a bag. (I currently have an S25 and may get an aeronaut in the future...but in the meantime I would use the sack in my regular rollerboard luggage).

thanks.

There's also a triangle clip inside the Yarn Stuff Sack.
    Also, if you're getting the largest Yarn Stuff Sack, there is a choice of fabric or clear urethane bottom.
    eWalker likes this.

@Rufus I am using a medium YSS on my DLBP and let me tell you, that clip is VERY handy.

I have ordered the full range of TSS for my yet to arrive A45 plus the large & small YSS.
    From my experience so far the YSS for a TB backpack is a keeper!
    So much that I will definitely order some more YSS to use on my backpack.
    Dyneema is very pliable, making the TSS and YSS both very good for tetris packing, but the clip on the YSS is wonderful to help anchor and retrieve your stuff.

The Medium size also doubles as a TT if you want to really minimize your load on a weekend escape!

HTH
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    There's also a triangle clip inside the Yarn Stuff Sack.
    Also, if you're getting the largest Yarn Stuff Sack, there is a choice of fabric or clear urethane bottom.
    @icebeng If not for you I would not notice that triangle clip inside!!

Hmmmm It seems that is always worth to turn a TB bag inside out!

Name:  YSS1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  39.8 KB
    Name:  YSS2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  71.5 KB
    Name:  YSS3.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  42.5 KB
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-27-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Add photos of clips
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

That's the fun part about TB bags lol! All the extra attachments!

People usually tricked out their cars, but I find myself wanting to trick out my TB bags instead.
    "Oooooh! O-ring! Lemme clip something there!"
    They do get their specialized purposes, but sometimes I can't thinking that perhaps a more savvy person would have achieved the same level of organization I have with just half the number of Yarn Stuff Sacks, Organizer Pouches and Cubes lol

And I know it's getting serious, I caught myself wondering if clipping an organizer pouch inside my Yarn Stuff Sack would come in useful.
    -.-"

I use a large Iberian YSS in the S25 hooked into the water bottle section to keep any "sweat" condensation from cold water from any of my electronics. I am also waiting to receive 2 small YSS to use in the side pockets of my S25.

A while back, when someone mentioned that the YSS had 2 clips (regular one on the outside and a triangle one of the inside), I though it was perfect to use with the O-Ring system the TB bags have so I can pull things out without worry that they will drop to the ground and get lost - a bonus for digging into backpacks to find things. The roundness of the YSS compared to the TSS does not impact anything and makes it like a simple Travel Tray as well.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-27-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I also prefer the yss over the TSS bc they are cheaper and have more clips. I could see the clear bottom coming in very handy for quickly IDing the yss contents
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

I've found that the medium YSS is perfect for corralling cables in my S25, and it definitely has great TT potential, too!

@tpnl - great idea regarding the large YSS as a condensation catcher in the S25! I'm going to have to look onto that. I wonder if the TLSS would work as well?
    tpnl and eWalker like this.
    TB Gear: Synapse 25: Black Dyneema/Wasabi, Side Effect: Black/UV, 3D Clear Organizer Cube: Conifer, Double Organizer Pouches (S+M): Black

For some purpose I like the TSS better than the YSS (with its oval shape it fits better sometimes. I add a keystrap to the strap that clothes the TSS but add it on the dyneema-side of this slide-thing. That results in not adding the length of the closed Strap of the TSS to the length of the key-strap.

Like so:

Name:  20140727_195725.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  643.8 KB

Name:  20140727_195750.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  436.0 KB

Ilkyway

I get a lot of mileage from the YSS clips - attaching keys or key cards, hanging it (one hangs in my pantry to wrangle plastic bags), easy to secure within other bags. If you have any propensity for a multi tasker, you can't go wrong with the YSS all fabric choice.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Amy
    @Ilkyway - that's exactly how I secure my travel stuff sack (small) in the side pocket of my Synapse 19. It is just as good as having a dedicated loop, really. The point is for it not to fall out when you unzip the bag while on the move, and for that, this workaround does the job.

I like learning about how you all use yarn vs travel stuff sacks. I put lots of colorful stuff sacks in my rolling suitcase - somehow clothes look neater piled in this way. However I realized I should have had some system for color coding. Now I am fishing through different bags to find my clothes. I also wanted to mention - large Dyneema organizer pouch, which normally I use to carry a magazine or papers, holds folded up clothes very well!
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    I've found that the medium YSS is perfect for corralling cables in my S25, and it definitely has great TT potential, too!

@tpnl - great idea regarding the large YSS as a condensation catcher in the S25! I'm going to have to look onto that. I wonder if the TLSS would work as well?
    You could use the smaller size TLSS(=Travel Laundry Stuff Sack) for A30 this way if you have one, but it's an expensive solution compared to the large YSS. The TLSS A30 is slightly smaller in diameter because of the "doubled" divider section compared to the Large (i.e. Tall) YSS. It's a little confusing, because the dimension information on the product page tries to give you an idea of the "stuffed" size of the sack, and what this would be like packed into a "rectangular" space. So the TLSS page doesn't give you a diameter for the Travel Laundry Stuff Sack Sack, which is around 6", and they also try to estimate the height of the sack with the drawstring pulled closed, just as they do on the Yarn Stuff Sack product page. (However, on that product page they give the diameter).

One difference is that you won't have the triangular clip that is used to feed yarn through at the top of the YSS. However, you can always hook one end of a Double Carabiner clip onto the short drawstring section between the black securing tab and the edge of the bag when you've closed the sack -- I do this on the Travel Tray if I want to use it as a yarn bowl, then feed the yarn through the other Double Carabiner Clip Loop.

On the Yarn Stuff Sacks I tend to use the ones with Urethane bottoms for water bottles, since the Urethane circle rests flatter than fabric.

HTH moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You could use the smaller size TLSS(=Travel Laundry Stuff Sack) for A30 this way if you have one, but it's an expensive solution compared to the large YSS. The TLSS A30 is slightly smaller in diameter because of the "doubled" divider section compared to the Large (i.e. Tall) YSS. It's a little confusing, because the dimension information on the product page tries to give you an idea of the "stuffed" size of the sack, and what this would be like packed into a "rectangular" space. So the TLSS page doesn't give you a diameter for the Travel Laundry Stuff Sack Sack, which is around 6", and they also try to estimate the height of the sack with the drawstring pulled closed, just as they do on the Yarn Stuff Sack product page. (However, on that product page they give the diameter).

One difference is that you won't have the triangular clip that is used to feed yarn through at the top of the YSS. However, you can always hook one end of a Double Carabiner clip onto the short drawstring section between the black securing tab and the edge of the bag when you've closed the sack -- I do this on the Travel Tray if I want to use it as a yarn bowl, then feed the yarn through the other Double Carabiner Clip Loop.

On the Yarn Stuff Sacks I tend to use the ones with Urethane bottoms for water bottles, since the Urethane circle rests flatter than fabric.

HTH moriond
    That does help, thanks!
    eWalker likes this.
    TB Gear: Synapse 25: Black Dyneema/Wasabi, Side Effect: Black/UV, 3D Clear Organizer Cube: Conifer, Double Organizer Pouches (S+M): Black

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    That's the fun part about TB bags lol! All the extra attachments!

People usually tricked out their cars, but I find myself wanting to trick out my TB bags instead.
    "Oooooh! O-ring! Lemme clip something there!"
    They do get their specialized purposes, but sometimes I can't thinking that perhaps a more savvy person would have achieved the same level of organization I have with just half the number of Yarn Stuff Sacks, Organizer Pouches and Cubes lol

And I know it's getting serious, I caught myself wondering if clipping an organizer pouch inside my Yarn Stuff Sack would come in useful.
    -.-"
    For people who do needlework, a Mini Pouch is really handy to clip inside, on the string, or to the outside clip of the Yarn Stuff Sack.
    icebeng likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0