Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Need advice....Synapse 25 or 19?

Quote Originally Posted by d.weglarz View Post
    Also, I see some pics of the Synapse in the parapack material. Was this just a limited run thing?
    Hopefully not limited, you'll probably see it pop up from time to time, not as often as the other options for the Synapses though.
    They mentioned before that Parapack was low on stock, and priority would be given to the Founder's Briefcase abd Guide's Pack, not sure if that was temporary though.
    It's also being used as a lining for certain bags now, so that might influence their decisions on what else to use it for.

Hi, For what it's worth...I am your height, 175lb. I love my S19, for weekend use as an EDC, and a diaper bag. It will also be my personal item for plane travel going forward. The only reason I don't use it during the week for work is that is not large enough to hold my lunch. (I eat a lot, salads, fruit salad and yogurt, and use pretty bulky containers...) If you only took a sandwich to work everyday, or didn't take your lunch at all, it would fit everything you needed for day to day.

I recently bought an S25 and am returning it. For me, for the heavier weight (mine was 15+ pounds at a full load) that the S25 can hold compared to the S19, it did not sit comfortably. It also seemed to sag.

I don't have any problems with the fit of the S19. It's small but not too small. It certainly doesn't feel small on me. It holds more than you think (but obviously can't hold everything). I've found it to be a great bag *because* it can't hold as much as a bigger bag, if that makes any sense...?

The organization on it is fantastic. Order pouches! And extra keystraps!

Oh man, this just keeps getting better!....well, more difficult actually
    Those newer pics look like a better comparison, thanks again. I find it very interesting that these bags being too small or too big really is a completely different aspect for everyone. So, I am pretty sure I can't go wrong with either one.
    I was really going to go with the olive, but darn that orange looks so sweet. Also, the steel dyneema looks really cool for an every day bag.

Will a sweater fit in the 19 while also carrying the laptop and a 1 inch thick textbook? This is fun. The TB bug bit me a while ago, and can't tell you how happy I am to need another bag again. Finally get to try TB, and I have been obsessed looking at pics for some time now.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406052876.742170.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  271.3 KB

Laptop: 15" unibody MBP
    Book: hardcover New Jerome Biblical Commentary (2")
    Sweater: Patagonia Micro D-Lux hoody, M's Large (no judge! Smallest size that fits beast shoulders!)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406052892.191646.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  312.7 KB

In S19. The bottom pocket has a ton of room available; the main compartment is fairly solid. HTH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, this just keeps getting better!....well, more difficult actually
    Those newer pics look like a better comparison, thanks again.
    Quite welcome. I have to admit it's a bit funny seeing you trying to decide. I did the same thing to the point where my wife *and* kids were tired of me asking for their take on colors/size. Lol.

<< Will a sweater fit in the 19 while also carrying the laptop and a 1 inch thick textbook? >>

As badger shows, it will fit. And as badger points out, while the main compartment is stuffed, the key to the synapse is the other pockets, especially the bottom pocket. It probably will take a few turns of moving things everywhere to figure out where your stuff fits best.

I went through the same dilemma as you when deciding between colors for my S19. Honestly, it's worth the 10 bucks to buy both, and return one. You can try them both out at home, and stuff all your stuff into both, and see which one works.

As many people pointed out in the posts I did when I was deciding, the biggest problem with this approach is that you're going to want to keep both!!! But it's really the only way you're going to figure out which bag best fits your needs and your stuff.

Need advice....Synapse 25 or 19?

Lol yea, my girl doesn't want to hear anymore about it.
    Honestly I think I am leaning towards the smaller one just because I want to carry it every day, and I fear the larger one might get left in the car sometimes....
    But, it would suck to feel like I should have went with the larger one. Like you said I can always send it back so I will probably try the 19 first........I think. Lol
    And, great to know the 19 fits a 15" macbook.
    Oh man, hopefully I'll be able to make a decision today. I always seem to drag out my purchases by doing extra research and staring at pics for a week before I buy.
    Nothing different with this one it seems....

Edit: @Badger....that sweater fits in the 19 with the laptop and book? Does the bag seem bulky or huge with that in it?
    Last edited by d.weglarz; 07-22-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Edit: @Badger....that sweater fits in the 19 with the laptop and book? Does the bag seem bulky or huge with that in it?
    It's not 100% ideal because the MBP is a pretty tight fit, and adding the book and the fleece made the corners protrude a little more than I would like. The bag actually remains nice and tidy.

Ok awesome. I appreciate it. I'll let you guys know after I order!

Thanks @Badger - it is amazing what the S19 will fit.

As another reference, here is a video showing both a 15" and 13" MBP in a Synapse 19 at the same time (the video just says Synapse but back in 2009, there was only what is now called the Synapse 19).

Carrying Notebook Computers in the Tom Bihn Synapse Backpack - YouTube

I was very impressed when I saw this a few years ago.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I love love love my Synapse 25. I travel for work and use the Synapse 25 with the following accessories: Clear Quarter Packing cube (for tea, medications, napkins, etc), the Snake Charmer (for all my cables, mouse, etc), a pouch of my own (makeup, tissues, chapstick), a Coach clutch, Clear Organizer Pouch (small, for IDs), Cache on rails, large Clear Dyneema organizer pouch (with a clipboard to keep it from falling), long key strap.

The main compartment holds my laptop and iPad in the Cache. My billfold and personal pouch go in the kangaroo pocket. The large Clear Dyneema pouch goes next to the cache (plastic side next to the cache) and the Clear Quarter Packing cube goes next to that.

The bottom front pocket holds the Snake Charmer that, even with all my cables, hotspot, mouse, etc has plenty of extra room. One side pocket holds safety glasses, four pens and two small notebooks. The other side pocket holds cell phone and large sunglasses case.

I've put two 1L water bottles in the center pocket. My long keystrap and keys go along with the water bottles.

The small front pocket holds the Clear Organizer Pouch clipped onto the oRing and business cards.

I spent a long time choosing my accessories and and more than happy with them. They fit perfectly and there is still extra room!

oh, and I wanted to mention that, when I repacked my old bag (the ubiquitous and awful Swiss Army bag) into my new one it felt like the weight was cut in half!

Wow guys, thanks so much for the help. I think I am going to have to do as suggested, and get both then return the one I don't like. Can't believe I am so excited about another new bag!
    And, its so great that this forum is here, and you guys love packing stuff, and bags or whatnot also! This place is great, thanks for having me.

As funny as it sounds, I am STILL looking through pics of the 25 and 19s.

Side note: I just learned today that TB changed the straps on the Synapse? If I understand correctly, the older straps with the closer attachment points at the top of the bag used to be closer, better for smaller frames (like me?).....And, now the straps are further apart which causes the bag to want to slip off the shoulders of someone that doesn't have a large wide frame?

This gives me something new to think about. Is this only with the 19? Does anyone notice the difference? I hope this isn't a problem with the way the bag sits. I only heard the best things until I saw that post somewhere on here this morning.

Any advice or opinions on this one?

Thanks again guys. Can't wait to order as soon as money and time allows, hopefully today or tomorrow.

Dave

@Dave

I can't speak to your most recent question about the strap changes as I've only used the new straps (though I found the new straps on both the 19 and 25 perfectly comfortable). Not sure if you saw it but I just posted my experience working through the 19/25 decision, here. Quite a few photos to show the difference between the 2, HTH
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

@d.weglarz

Here is a link to a discussion thread on the shoulder strap changes for S19 and S25:

New backpack strap placement on Synapse 19?

For me, I needed to "break in" the straps of my S25 when I first got it before they felt natural - but I have wide shoulders.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0