Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bermudajes

Thread: Does Tri-Star typically pass as personal carry-on item?

Does Tri-Star typically pass as personal carry-on item?

Just got my Tristar in Navy/Iberican and am very pleased with what I see so far. Craftsmanship and materials live up to everything I've read online. I'm a professional photographer and typically travel in 3-5 day bursts. My usual carry-on is a rolling ThinkTank camera case and I may stuff some clothes in a Filson tote if it's a short trip or will check in a small 20" rollaboard suitcase if it's an extended trip. However, I'm hoping that with the Tristar, I can get away with carrying it on as my personal item since it appears that the Tristar fits under most seats.

Has anyone had experience in having the Tristar as a personal item and having a second (larger) carry-on bag? I typically fly United and the Tristar technically is larger than the personal item size specs (United: 10x17x9" / Tristar: 13x19x8"), but curious if most gate agents overlook the bag if it's handheld vs rolling.

I would think not but have never tried. I would not even try to pass my wf as a personal item.

@maverick has a great thread post where the Western Flyer fit as a Personal Carry-on:

Western Flyer fits United's personal item sizer

I have never tried to put a Tri-Star as Personal Carry-on. But, if I were, I would get the Dyneema version which can be compressed more than the ballistic nylon version. But, even then, I do not have much hope it would work (spotty at best, IMHO). But, you never know.

Note also that the personal sizers are actually an inch bigger than the stated dimensions in front for the height and width (e.g. the Personal sizer is actually 18 x 11 when the limit is 17 x 10).

Here is the link to the TB Blog post on what bags fit:

http://www.tombihn.com/blog/united-a...-bihn-bags-fit

Hope this Helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-21-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I think you'd have better luck using the WF as a personal item than the TS -- unless the TS is underpacked. Sure, it will look smaller than a rollaboard of similar size but it will also look bigger than most personal items. You may get away with a TS + roller on some flights, some flights you may not. I wouldn't take the risk of bringing on an intentionally larger "personal item" if I can't be separated from it because I've been told to check it for being too large (assuming you'd wouldn't check your camera case).
    currently:
    • Burnt Orange: Synapse 19 (steel), Synapse 25 (steel), Organizer Wallet, 3D COC, small and medium DOP
    • Black: Side Effect (steel), small padded OP
    • Steel: small clear OP
    want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), DLBP (black or steel), Synapse 25 (grey/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Thanks all. After packing the TS for a two day work trip, I'm thinking it probably still is just a bit too big for the personal size item (it looked way bigger than my Filson bag). Will still have to think over my packing strategy or consider the WF as an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by teknofile View Post
    Just got my Tristar in Navy/Iberican and am very pleased with what I see so far. Craftsmanship and materials live up to everything I've read online. I'm a professional photographer and typically travel in 3-5 day bursts. My usual carry-on is a rolling ThinkTank camera case and I may stuff some clothes in a Filson tote if it's a short trip or will check in a small 20" rollaboard suitcase if it's an extended trip. However, I'm hoping that with the Tristar, I can get away with carrying it on as my personal item since it appears that the Tristar fits under most seats.

Has anyone had experience in having the Tristar as a personal item and having a second (larger) carry-on bag? I typically fly United and the Tristar technically is larger than the personal item size specs (United: 10x17x9" / Tristar: 13x19x8"), but curious if most gate agents overlook the bag if it's handheld vs rolling.
    Have done it successfully many times, carrying it by the handles briefcase style. But not lately! I hear they're getting tougher. My experience limited to AA also.

Super Moderator
    The last few flights I've been on, the better-fit-in-the-sizer announcements have been far more strident than I have ever before recalled, and I've seen more people getting stopped and asked briskly to gate-check. Nonetheless, I still see people carrying on bags that are obviously, no question, holy-moley-are-you-even-trying?! way too big. Even if you subtracted the wheels and handle they'd be too big! I don't believe in rule-following simply to follow rules, but I dread seeing three or four people ahead of me on the jetway who a) I know will have trouble, even if they eventually jam their way-too-big cases into the bin and b) are probably only going to get their bags up by blocking a lot of space for *my* bags.

I really like walking on with my Tri-Star, but as overhead rather than underseat storage. The Tri-Star *would* I think fit under the seat in most planes I've been in lately, but only the 6-across ones, I think, and not *every* seat ... I forget which plane it was I was on lately, where I had the only bad seat: it was at a kink in the aisle, and I barely had room for my feet, had to be shifted whenever the cart rolled by. Also, though it would fit *under* the seat (the height between floor and seat would work), it wouldn't fit "fully under the seat in front of you." I think they sometimes go overboard on that, but a Tri-Star would be pushing it. In a window seat, no practical problem with a bag underfoot, IMO, but in an aisle or center, would be no fun, even if you have pushover cabin crew that overlooks it.

Night Flight + either Tri-Star or Aeronaut (or, after I scrape up the next kitty for it, maybe a Synapse or whatever else is on the way from the mind of Tom) should be a great combination. The underseat rules (and the overhead ones, too) could change, but that doesn't happen very often, and there's obviously a big difference between The Rules As Written and the actual rules in practice. Soft-sided luggage in black, with backpack straps or worn jauntily, I think the airline folks know isn't going to be their problem very often. It's gaudy, hard-sided, expandable, bulging, wheeled ones with big handle assemblies that could be confused with war materiel.
    Last edited by timothy; 08-08-2014 at 01:18 PM.

I wish the gate agents and crew would enforce the size limits consistently from airport to airport. My last flight was to Dulles and I felt excited about using my Pilot and NFTD - a great combination for carry-on as I could put books and magazines in the Pilot and snacks/sweater/headphones in the NFTD, toys for kid, etc. There were many people with giant backpacks, tote bags, bags hanging off every appendage - no limits on what could be brought, it seemed. We also got inconsistent information on liquids that could be brought; on a previous flight, the crew said they don't keep enough milk on board for kids (understandable, space is limited) and suggested we bring little UHT boxes, which worked well on the flight out. The TSA agents did their swabs and ok'd the box of milk, which was very nice to have. On the return, the box of milk was confiscated for being more than 3 oz and for a non-toddler. Some consistency would be helpful to plan packing, especially when out of town and searching for grocery stores, etc.

Thanks for letting me vent. I still think air travel is a miracle, but sometimes the little things get to me.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I really like walking on with my Tri-Star, but as overhead rather than underseat storage. The Tri-Star *would* I think fit under the seat in most planes I've been in lately, .......
    and there's obviously a big difference between The Rules As Written and the actual rules in practice. Soft-sided luggage in black, with backpack straps or worn jauntily, I think the airline folks know isn't going to be their problem very often. It's gaudy, hard-sided, expandable, bulging, wheeled ones with big handle assemblies that could be confused with war materiel.
    I should have mentioned I use a 20" wheeled bag when using the Tristar as a personal item. The wheelie goes above and the Tristar under seat, usually scrunched a little and standing almost upright. Plenty of room to lie flat if you have a seat with no obstructions, which is increasingly rare.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I wish the gate agents and crew would enforce the size limits consistently from airport to airport.
    I wholeheartedly agree on this, though I know it's easier said than done. On my last work trip, I took a "carry on" roller bag (a gift) and a purse - on the way there, I had no trouble getting my roller bag on board, but on the way back, I was asked to place it into a sizer and, lo and behold, it was too big. I honestly didn't know it didn't meet the requirements, but rather assumed the person who gifted it to me had done their homework. (Oh, assuming...) Of course, this incident was one of the catalysts that brought me back to TB, so I can't complain TOO much.

While it drives me nuts that people seem to bring everything and the kitchen sink with them as "carry on" items, I just take comfort in knowing that with the right (TB) bags, I don't have to contend for that coveted overhead space. I really look forward to my next flight with the NFTD (T-minus 30 days). And while the TriStar might need to go overhead sometimes (just speculating, as I don't own one), I can imagine it would take up much less room than a standard 22"x14"x9" and therefore easier to find some space to stash it during the flight.

I carry my TS almost every time I fly but I can't imagine trying to cram it under the seat?
    I have never understood where my feet will go if I try the bag under there?

I do have big feet.

I also carry Camera gear a lot and depending on my needs at the time I either use a Pelican 1510 if I need a lot of gear and absolute protection or a Urban Disguise of an appropriate size,either a 35,40 or 60 as the shoot demands.

I also have an Airport Takeoff which I love but it seems to attract too much scrutiny lately even though it is supposed to be sized as a carry-on bag too?

I mostly carry my Synapse though as a personal item and it never gets a second look at the gate and I can carry a pretty big pile of gear in there too.
    This is my favorite method as I get to carry more Bihn!

It is really pretty astounding but I can carry all of this and a 13" MBP in a Synapse 19!

Synapse with Photo Insert-Here is 1 way!

Just another idea but the nicest thing about it is that the gear is always right where I can see it.

Ed

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0