Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By icebeng

Thread: Synapse 19 for hiking (attaching items to the outide?)

Synapse 19 for hiking (attaching items to the outide?)

I bought the Synapse 19 as a travel day pack and now find myself taking up hiking. Research shows me I can use a hydration bladder with it, that's a plus, but I'd also like to attach something to the outside, namely my trekking pole. There just doesn't seem to be place to do so. Is there a solution to this without buying a whole new pack?

By design the Synapse is not great for attaching items to the outside, but you could probably rig something functional-if-not-ideal up. One option is to put the top of the pole through the grab-loop at the top of the pack and then run the waist strap around the front of the pack to secure the pole to the bottom. This means you can't use the waist strap as a waist strap though.

Is it a collapsible pole? Could you shorten it as much as possible, then put it in the main compartment and leave the handle sticking out the top of the pack?

If the poles are collapsible, would they fit in the water bottle pocket? (Provided that you're putting the bladder in the main compartment, not in there already.) Also, I love my Synapse 25, but as an avid hiker, would hesitate to use it hiking because I find the back panel isn't quite as breathable as I need. That said, I'm a fairly sweaty person and others seem to love the S19 for hiking, so it might be just fine for you! Let us know how it works for you.

Are you using the loop right at the bottom meant for the Guardian Light?
    If you're not, I think you can use that and the grab handle to hold your pole.
    Here's a couple of concept photos, I'm improvising using a rubber band and the handle of my SCB, you'll want to use something better than a rubber band of course lol, elastic cords, maybe?
    The pen is to simulate your pole.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  642.4 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  511.7 KB

You can make use of Velcro for a more permanent way to attach the elastic cords.
    terayon likes this.

This last seems like the best solution. Obviously, if I'd known I was going to take up day hiking, I might have bought a different pack originally. A hiking backpack would be best, it just seems a shame to shell out more money when I have this really nice Bihn bag. Maybe one of the elastic cords strung from the grab handle to the bottom loop would work in the short term.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0