Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Pictures of Steel/UV and Aubergine/Wasabi

Pictures of Steel/UV and Aubergine/Wasabi

Hello Folks,

I'm trying to decide between these two colors for my first Tom Bihn bag (A30). Can any one indulge me? Opinions are always welcome. I tend to lean toward the conservative with respect to bag colors, but one of my bags has a pop of magenta (on black) and I love it. So the UV with the Steel is very appealing to me. The Aubergine makes me swoon, but I fear I might tire of the Wasabi (not a favorite). Any help would be appreciated.

Nli
    You really should give the Wasabi a chance. I was a non-believer at first, even returned an early purchase that was lined with wasabi, claiming to not like the color. Read a Darcy post around that time, extolling wasabi's virtues but just could not see them. At some point, however, a bag I felt I really "needed" was only available with wasabi lining. I purchased bag and now I really do love the wasabi, at least in the smallish doses you have as a lining material. It's a dash of color yet understated at the same time. I really find it very classy - interesting to me since my initial dislike was very strong! At one point I felt that solar was "to die for" and now it's just too much yellow for me. Tastes change....or maybe my eyes are just aging rapidly or brain ischemia is setting in!

My personal experience (which may not be typical), is that the interior color ends up being more important than the exterior. I got something in steel/solar once, and thought I could get used to the solar inside. But I couldn't, and ended up selling it. So if you do not happen to like wasabi I would recommend going with the bag that has uv instead.

EDIT: I'm personally a huge fan of wasabi AND aubergine. But everyone's tastes are different.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 07-21-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Aubergine/wasabi really does look like a sliced open eggplant. *swoon*

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    My personal experience (which may not be typical), is that the interior color ends up being more important than the exterior. I got something in steel/solar once, and thought I could get used to the solar inside. But I couldn't, and ended up selling it. So if you do not happen to like wasabi I would recommend going with the bag that has uv instead.
    I completely agree with this! Especially in a bag that has a fair amount of lining real estate (as do all the travel bags) and one that is a serious financial commitment, it might be best to go with a combination you know you love. If you go with the Steel/UV A30, you could always get a Aubergine/Wasabi Side Effect to go with it--less lining and also substantially less cost.

I'll also say that I wasn't initially excited about wasabi, but I've changed my mind. I'm also one of those rare souls who isn't fond of solar. Iberian, Nordic, and UV delight me, however.

I think you should stick with UV since you know that color appeals to you. My first TB bag was a black/wasabi MCB I received as a gift about 5 years ago. When I first saw the bag I knew I didn't love wasabi, but since I didn't hate it I thought I could live with it. That bag didn't work out for me for a variety of reasons, but reason number one was that over time I began to loathe wasabi. It's not a pleasant color to my eye and I definitely regretted not exchanging it when I had the chance. I ended up giving that bag to my mom after nearly a year of daily carry.

I recently plunged back into TB again and all my bags now have steel lining. What I love about steel is that it's light enough to provide some contrast, but neutral enough to not catch my eye. Iberian intrigues me (especially paired with navy and black), but I think I'm going to stick with steel linings from now on.
    currently:
    • Burnt Orange: Synapse 19 (steel), Synapse 25 (steel), Organizer Wallet, 3D COC, small and medium DOP
    • Black: Side Effect (steel), small padded OP
    • Steel: small clear OP
    want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), DLBP (black or steel), Synapse 25 (grey/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Thanks everyone for the feedback. If the Aubergine was paired with Steel as seen in one of the pictures, I would pick that up in a second. While I think the Aubersabi is a wonderful contrast, it doesn't seem to be calling my name. My sound effects when looking at he A30 pictures: "Oooooh" (looking at the Aubergine closed), "Ugh" (looking at the Aubersabi) and "Ooooooh" (looking at the Aubergine/Steel). So I am starting to lean toward the Steel/UV and perhaps getting an aubergine SE as @mjpinter suggests. The sight of UV makes me happy every time I look at it. I want, literally, every single accessory that comes in UV. There's even a picture I've seen of someone (I think @dorayme) wearing an S19 in UV and I have thoughts of tackling her, stealing the S19 off her back and running away (reading this forum though, I'm confident that any Bihnion would spare nothing to catch me, beat the crap out of me, take his/her lovely TB back, then torture me by sending pictures of him/herself wearing said TB to me in jail). I've also seen some comments about steel changing colors in different light and that appeals to me as well.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. If the Aubergine was paired with Steel as seen in one of the pictures, I would pick that up in a second. While I think the Aubersabi is a wonderful contrast, it doesn't seem to be calling my name. My sound effects when looking at he A30 pictures: "Oooooh" (looking at the Aubergine closed), "Ugh" (looking at the Aubersabi) and "Ooooooh" (looking at the Aubergine/Steel). So I am starting to lean toward the Steel/UV and perhaps getting an aubergine SE as @mjpinter suggests. The sight of UV makes me happy every time I look at it. I want, literally, every single accessory that comes in UV.

There's even a picture I've seen of someone (I think @dorayme) wearing an S19 in UV and I have thoughts of tackling her, stealing the S19 off her back and running away (reading this forum though, I'm confident that any Bihnion would spare nothing to catch me, beat the crap out of me, take his/her lovely TB back, then torture me by sending pictures of him/herself wearing said TB to me in jail). I've also seen some comments about steel changing colors in different light and that appeals to me as well.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom!
    I concur with everything you say in the first paragraph.

Many TB Forum member sell some of their bags to get new ones. Check the Just For Register Members area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    If the Aubergine was paired with Steel as seen in one of the pictures, I would pick that up in a second.
    I wonder why there is an aubergine/steel A30 pictured -- perhaps they intend to offer that combination for sale at some point?

I loved the Aubergine on fist sight. But I could not get my head around the wasabi at first. I am absolutly, totaly and deeply anti-green (in colors that is, not in environmental matters - there I am as green as they get).
    That said, I have in Aubergin/Wasabi: a little Swift, a Swift, a Side Effect, a Smart Alec and the A30 and the Nightflight on backorder. It all started with the Side Effect. I thought, the outside is the part that has to go with my wardrobe so hang the inside. What can I say: I love wasabi inside of bags now. It gives the Aubergine the exact background to shine out and it helps a lot inside a bag to find everything. I had a Steel/Ultraviolet Synapse 19 and as much as I like both colors it is quite dark inside COMPARED to wasabi (or solar). The Ultraviolet is bright compared all these black wormholes other bag-companies sell, but that is all am matter of reference-point.
    And this "helpfulness" of the wasabi and its making the Aubergine pop out made me fall for it. I even have some exasseries in wasabi now, also I have to say I prefer steel, ultraviolet and nordic there but they found their way into my home and do a good job here.

With colors it is very personal and quite emotional. A bit like with smells too. There are rouls with colors (which one matches, which one drown or enhance others, even some universally mood-triggering powers but the bottom line is: it is personal.

Ilkyway

Its funny sometimes how things go when you see the colour in person. My most least liked colour is a mustard green/yellow. I loathe it, especially on a car. Yet...I love the wasabi! I like the colour combination of aubergine and wasabi..my first purchase was a navy/aubergine/wasabi Swift and I loved it despite my dislike for mustardy colours. I still dont understand why...lol
    I loved the look of steel parapak and ordered a SE in that colour and I dislike it in person. I still keep it, but I dont like it.
    Then there was solar...never had much time for yellow. But given that it was being retired I thought I would wanted a piece of Tom Bihn history and ordered a travel tray in solar...and I LOVE IT! Its such a happy colour..like a ray of sunshine..and it glows...
    Same with Nordic...never was drawn to it until again it was announced to be retired. I missed out on the orders but a very awesome lady here :-)))) sold my her spare Nordic shop bag and again I LOVE IT!!!!!!
    I find that no matter how many pictures you see of a bag or colour..its still different when you see it in person.
    Maybe you could order both and send one back..?
    Or maybe contact the office if they would make the combination you are really after in the future? the Aubergine Steel....Sometimes its worth waiting for and get the colour you really want.

Ilkyway ..werde dir heute emailen..

vivelly: you have the very Swift I dream about. I was too late to join Tom Bihn to get any of the multi-colored bags. But as I was thinking them over a Swift like yours was the one I thought might be the best combo of colors. I so hope we will see multi-colored Swifts someday again.

(Fühl Dich nicht unter Druck, ich weiß selber wie es ist, wenn die Zeit so rennt.)

Ilkyway I hope they will be made again in that colour combo..its so handy because you have two colour options to match with whatever your are wearing depending on what colour shows on the outside.
    This Swift was what introduced me to Tom Bihn. I needed a knitting bag and I was tired of the padded old lady patchwork look so I found this website..the rest is history.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0