Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By mjmotal
  • 1 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By datavista
  • 4 Post By luvdabags
  • 4 Post By luvdabags
  • 2 Post By Ilkyway

Thread: Ristretto 13" + Side Effect?

Ristretto 13" + Side Effect?

Hello,

Has anyone combined a Side Effect with the larger Ristretto? I am thinking of using key straps to attach the Side Effect to the front main compartment for added organization and travel flexibility. This gives me quick access to items in the SE on-the-go, or I can securely remove the SE to access items below it at the bottom of the Ristretto. I think this makes sense because of the Ristretto's taller form factor. There may be occasions when I remove the SE altogether to get around with just the essentials.

The theory sounds good, but wondering how well this actually works out in practice.

Thanks!

I wish I had a Ristretto 13" and Side Effect to try this! (My laptop is too big ).

I agree that if the Side Effect could be used in that way (attached via an O-Ring to the Ristretto) and put it on top of the items at the bottom the bag, it would be the best use of storage space in this vertical style messenger bags. Given the 8.6" width of the Side Effect, it looks like it would fit easily into the 11.75" width of the Ristretto 13" or even the 10.5" width of the Ristretto 11" and might fit in the 9.25" wide Ristretto iPad.

I do something like this in other vertical messenger bags I have. Alternately, I found that the Grid-It system is also good for organizing things vertically. I might even think 2 Side Effects put in vertically and attached to the bag via O-rings (I am assuming there are some to use) might work too.

Another idea might be to use 2 double carabiners and hook the Side Effect to the outside back of the Ristretto - I see some webbing loops midway up the bag that could be used for this. That way you can access things without having to open the Ristretto.

Though not exactly what you are looking for, post#1 and #2 on the thread link below by @Trailhiker shows the Lead's Pocket in comparison to the Side Effect and then the Lead's Pocket inside a Ristretto for iPad.

Lead's Pocket Comparison Photos

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-20-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I have these two bags, and will try to get you some pics tomorrow when my husband returns with the cord to attach my iPhone to my computer!! The SE fits both horizontally and vertically in the front large compartment next to the computer spot. It also fits in the zipper pocket. There are two o-rings in the larger compartment that you could attach a keystrap to. Pics to follow tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    I have these two bags, and will try to get you some pics tomorrow when my husband returns with the cord to attach my iPhone to my computer!! The SE fits both horizontally and vertically in the front large compartment next to the computer spot. It also fits in the zipper pocket. There are two o-rings in the larger compartment that you could attach a keystrap to. Pics to follow tomorrow.
    Is the top opening of the Ristretto narrower than the bottom (i.e. it tapers to the top)? If you have some measuring tape handy, could you measure the top versus the bottom thickness/width? Thanks!

Sent from my Iconia W4-820 using Tapatalk
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Is the top opening of the Ristretto narrower than the bottom (i.e. it tapers to the top)? If you have some measuring tape handy, could you measure the top versus the bottom thickness/width? Thanks!

Yes, it does taper and that's my biggest complaint with it. I anticipated using it for overnights by sliding a packing cube into the compartment but because of the narrow top opening, it's not possible. And my camera insert does not fit at the top even though it would comfortably fit in the bottom. The side panel tapers from 2 1/8" at the top to 3 1/8" at the bottom measured on the outside. Remember there's a padded slot for the laptop that intrudes into that space. If it weren't for that taper, this would be an almost perfect bag for me. Alas, I'm still looking for that elusive perfection...

Quote Originally Posted by mjmotal View Post
    Yes, it does taper and that's my biggest complaint with it. I anticipated using it for overnights by sliding a packing cube into the compartment but because of the narrow top opening, it's not possible. And my camera insert does not fit at the top even though it would comfortably fit in the bottom. The side panel tapers from 2 1/8" at the top to 3 1/8" at the bottom measured on the outside. Remember there's a padded slot for the laptop that intrudes into that space. If it weren't for that taper, this would be an almost perfect bag for me. Alas, I'm still looking for that elusive perfection...
    Bummer. That kills it for me as well as a potential laptop/camera bag, at least for my bigger camera. Perhaps if I carried my wife's RX100 every day instead of my E-M1, 12-40 f2.8, and 25 f1.4...

Thanks for the measurements though; this has long been an open question for me.

Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

@datavista

I found this post by @Melissa where she attached her Side Effect to an iPad Ristretto externally with the Gatekeeper Clips - like I mentioned in my previous post as another option. I love this minimalist personal carry-on setup that she has. You might even be able to use some single gatekeeper clips to or simple carabiners to attach the two items together.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

P.S. I am really trying to resist getting a Ristretto ... I have no laptop that fits in it ... but I love the vertical style and what @Melissa did! If the 13" version comes in Black / Iberian, I may need to do an impulse buy together with a side effect...
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

@tpnl, was there a picture posted by @Melissa of her Side Effect/ipad Ristretto setup? I would love to see it as I currently use a MBA11 Ristretto and I like to tote along my SE with personal effects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ooops - forgot to include the link to @Melissa's post:

Personal item?

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    WenV likes this.

Thanks so much!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. And thanks @tpnl for the link. It really shows the versatility of the SE either in combination with other bags such as the Ristretto or as a stand-alone carry. I think I'm going to spring for one soon and may get a Co-Pilot as well. No, I'm not addicted. I can stop any time.
    tpnl likes this.

I just found these photos of the Ristretto 13 and SE and realized I forgot to post them.Name:  IMG_2456.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  888.7 KB

oops, HERE is the second one!

Name:  IMG_2453.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  840.7 KB

wow the olive pp looks very nice next to the aubergine. And that from an anty-green Person... Nice pictures, love the purple sleeve in the corner too ;-)
    WenV and luvdabags like this.