Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: New Brain Bag updated to $190, with great Burnt Orange

Lightbulb New Brain Bag updated to $190, with great Burnt Orange

Hello,

I had just found out that the Brain Bag finally been updated to $190 and also, comes with great Burnt Orange and French Blue.
    Though on Backorder until Early August.

Name:  Brain Bag d190 420d.png
Views: 626
Size:  686.9 KB
    Photos Courtesy of Tom Bihn Official Page
    Links: Brain Bag - Made in USA Laptop Backpack - TOM BIHN

From the available photos at Product Page, there is no major obvious different.
    I hope there is a video review or detail description or some sort to describe the differences.

UPDATE: Added Photos of Burnt Orange, French Blue and Navy at one-look.
    I am not sure whether it is my eyes or my mind. I got a feeling that the 420d Navy of this new Brain Bag looks better than the previous Codura/Ballistic.

UPDATE #2: GMT+8 17/07/14 10:30AM
    I read many replies that there is concern that my photo may have incorrect Material Listing 420d Orange, 420d French Blue and 420d Navy.
    All color material may not be made with 420d Parapack, as Darcy mentioned before - 420d Parapack is hard to dye and comes with limited color only (I couldn't find the exact Darcy's Post, hence I couldn't quote here). So far, I only could confirm Olive. Because I own two 420d Parapack Olive Accessories.
    I'm sorry, shall I had give a wrong information in the first place.

Info, posted by TB Members that I tried to compiled onto the first post
    Quote Originally Posted by GriffCouch View Post
    From my call to TB Customer Service today - there are 3 o rings in each of the 2 main pockets, and 1 o ring in each of the 3 front zippered pockets. Total of 9 o rings in the updated BB.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 07-16-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Update with Correct Material Infos.
    Solar: A45 Navy, CP Steeld, SA Black, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel: Pilot Steel 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    Olive: SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BC V S1, H M2, PCSB Nordic, TT Iberian, Risretto Cocoa/Cayenne

Buy List Wouldn't mind : Solar Like New
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Darcy mentioned the changes in the http://www.tombihn.com/forums/just-r...ce-update.html thread.

"Note on the Brain Bag: the next batch of Brain Bags will be made with an exterior of 1000d Cordura, an interior of Parapack, and (due to your popular demand) a bottom of 1050d ballistic nylon. And, oh yeah: more o-rings (!!!). When the updated Brain Bag debuts, the new price will be $190."

The Burnt Orange one looks rad, but there's no product pic yet, except for the new icon on the Backpacks page. The French Blue looks awesome! Too bad (or thank heavens) it's too large for me. But I do wonder if I'll make a good looking turtle with it though....
    ACK!!!!! NOOOOOO...... <Discipline!><Self Control!>

@icebeng,

Yup, Darcy mentioned that and also more o-rings. I wonder how really more are those and the impacts they brought.

Hehe. I feel you @icebeng. The Burnt Orange really look futuristic!
    I would like to have it, but I have limited budget. Co-Pilot/Pilot is up on my priority list, even then - not this year.
    Solar: A45 Navy, CP Steeld, SA Black, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel: Pilot Steel 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    Olive: SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BC V S1, H M2, PCSB Nordic, TT Iberian, Risretto Cocoa/Cayenne

Buy List Wouldn't mind : Solar Like New
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

wait, the orange and french blue are parapak? i thought they were corder

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    wait, the orange and french blue are parapak? i thought they were corder
    Yeah, definitely Cordura. I think all the exterior colours this time are Cordura, IIRC?

Personally, I'm holding out for an updated BB in Plum. Or Linen. The orange BB has quite the "wow" factor, but the prettiest BB so far IMO is Plum. And I'm not even a purple fan!
    ncb4 and gochicken like this.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

the pics above say 420d-thought that meant parapak. is that not true?

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    the pics above say 420d-thought that meant parapak. is that not true?
    Not quite right. Parapack colours are grey, olive, black, and navy. The announcement also said "Note on the Brain Bag: the next batch of Brain Bags will be made with an exterior of 1000d Cordura, an interior of Parapack, and (due to your popular demand) a bottom of 1050d ballistic nylon. And, oh yeah: more o-rings (!!!). When the updated Brain Bag debuts, the new price will be $190."

I'd have died and gone to fabric heaven by now if parapack came in more colours!
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

😍😍😍😍😍😍😘😘😘😘😘😍😍😍😍😍😍

so, is the navy one ballistic navy? parapak? cordura? how do we tell from the product description when the drop down menu says navy 420d, that means parapak, and if it just says navy that means ballistic. @Darcy, is that correct?

I would agree that all the new bags are probably Cordura exteriors (except bottom). I have not heard any mention of a full Parapack version since last year's run.
    I think they are still updating the website so there are some discrepancies - e.g. The part where you select colors does not indicate any different exteriors (other bags show - Black / Black Dyneema, etc) - so no indication of 2 options for exterior. However, the description still says Parapack exterior option under the specification.

The new color selections are good and tempting if I were not a mostly all-black bag type of a person - though the French Blue does call to me as it is similar to me to the "happy" Indigo color they had in the past that I liked ... decisions, decisions ... my "darn" current Brain Bag will not die and give me an excuse to get another one! ... but that's a good thing.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-16-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I think I'll go with the French Blue. That is a color I really like and do not own jet. I like the plum too (soo pritty) but I do have a plum Backpack and the French blue could be nicely dressed with pink paracord.

Ilkyway
    tpnl and icebeng like this.

This makes me want to cheer and cry at the same time. I ordered two different colored Brain Bags a few days ago and I'm glad I did before the price increase, but seeing photos of the French Blue and Burnt Orange is making me want a BB in one of these colors so badly. I don't suppose I can change the color of my backordered bag without paying the difference in price...
    tpnl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yeb90 View Post
    This makes me want to cheer and cry at the same time. I ordered two different colored Brain Bags a few days ago and I'm glad I did before the price increase, but seeing photos of the French Blue and Burnt Orange is making me want a BB in one of these colors so badly. I don't suppose I can change the color of my backordered bag without paying the difference in price...
    Well, if you do make the change, at least you would be getting some feature upgrades in the newer BBs as well. More O-rings, a more durable bottom side made of ballistic nylon, parapack lining... Makes the pill a little easier to swallow.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I like the plum too (soo pritty) but I do have a plum Backpack and the French blue could be nicely dressed with pink paracord.
    The BB is actually no longer available in plum, so if you weren't entirely set on the French Blue that should make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Well, if you do make the change, at least you would be getting some feature upgrades in the newer BBs as well. More O-rings, a more durable bottom side made of ballistic nylon, parapack lining... Makes the pill a little easier to swallow.
    Very true. I don't care all that much about the design upgrades which is why I ordered when I did. I just didn't expect to be so tempted by the new colors.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast