Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: New Brain Bag updated to $190, with great Burnt Orange

@chrisc983

To answer your questions on the BB waist strap, I would say that it is more about stabilization and comfort but has some good ability to distribute the load (I believe a framed backpack would be best for that).
    As an example of the waist strap carrying the load - when wearing the waist belt snuggly, I can loosen the shoulder straps and let most of the weight be held via the waist strap and it feels comfortable – essentially the shoulder straps become the stabilizer and the waist strap the load support.

Now, I have a caveat that may make my experience slightly different than for someone using a new BB:
    I have a 2004 version of the Brain Bag with a 2” non-removable waist strap – not the 1.5” version that is removable today.

However, I feel, based on the 1.5” waist strap I use on my Smart Alec (yes – also an older version with a bit larger waist strap than today’s verison), it should still do the job fine on a BB.

As for the longest I have had a BB on my back, I would say 4 hours with a medium load (2 large 1+litre thermoes, many blankets, heavy laptop + accessories (power supply, Bluetooth speaker, etc). However, I have used my BB on airplane trips where I one-bagged it (except for laptop) with heavier loads – carrying it on and off for 1-2 hours at a time and many times (waiting for plane, getting off plane to desiination, etc) knowing that I could go a lot longer.
    For those times, I really did not feel anything was on my back and sometimes would forget I had it on (my wife had to remind me to take off my backpack when I was just standing at the window watching the airplanes land and take off). The BB was very helpful to my back.

Have a look at this forum post which talks a lot about the waist strap and its use.

Backpack question: shoulder straps + waist straps

As far as managing all the straps, I use the Velcro strips like the Strapeez product TB sell. I use it to manage the compression straps and the sternum / waist straps See this link for good ideas as well (I also posted on another way I deal with the shoulder strap ends):

Corralling (Sp?) Backpack Straps

I like using my BB as an EDC as well – especially when I may need maximum expansion options. It compresses well. Your selection of accessories is great. The key to packing this bag is to pack vertically and not allow things to piled at the bottom of the bag. The Freudian slip is great for this. The Lead’s Pocket is great (it is padded too) as it can hook into the Annex Clips on top. You can even fit a Co-Pilot below it in case you want a mini-bag or small camera bag – the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB) works great too as well as the snake charmer.

I cannot help you with color but the Navy and French Blue are good conservative colors if that is the environment you are working in. Steel is good too.

I hope others can chime in here on their thoughts for any heavier loads they have carried or other experiences with the waist strap as well as their general use if similar to yours. I am sure there are a lot of other suggestions for color and accessories that work with the BB as well

Let me know if I missed answering any of your questions.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-18-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Thank you so much for the detailed answers! By any chance do you know if I could mount one lead pocket and GP pocket below in the same compartment? And wow didn't know it had that much room to fit a co pilot in it as well.

I use the top annex clip loops in the BB to attach my Lead's Pocket (using the top loop on the pocket). However, when I do this, I cannot use the lower set of BB annex clip loops to hook another GP pocket (Guide's Pack pocket right?) as it is covered by the Lead’s Pocket. The link below shows how it looks on a BB (thanks @trailhiker for posting the great uses for the Lead’s Pocket) – see the second post:

Lead's Pocket Comparison Photos

I tried to get more room by using the bottom loops on the Lead's Pocket to hook to the top loops of the BB but then the Pocket sits too tall and will not fit in the bag.
    However, you can do other things to hang the second pocket:

1) Use the upper annex clips to hook the Lead’s Pocket. Attach double carabiners to the lower BB annex clip loops effectively lowering the 2nd attachment point. You can then attach the GP pocket to this lowered attachment points.

2) Use the lower annex clip loops in the BB to attach one of the pockets. Use the Gatekeeper Rail loops to hang the other pocket above using a combination of double carabiners, single gatekeeper clips and perhaps some O-Rings to make things easier to attach/deattach– similar to what @Feijai did with a pocket similar to the Lead’s / GP pockets - see his picture below (thanks @Feijai):

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  129.4 KB

Also, below is a good link on other things that could use the Annex Clip system.

Accessories which can use annex clips inside a Brain Bag
    Run, don't walk, to buy a Condor T&T pouch for your Brain Bag

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

New Brain Bag updated to $190, with great Burnt Orange

Did anyone order and receive the new BB? I am in the process of trying to cancel my other bag and order the BB instead. Just have to decide between black navy. Wish they still had the steel.
    Last edited by chrisc983; 07-21-2014 at 06:47 AM.

I finally ordered a Brain Bag. I spent too many hours deciding which color to get, but i decided on French Blue. And of course, when you go to order one bag, you of course need to order other things so I added a Snake Charmer as well. I refrained from a Freudian Slip. I have so much self control I tell myself.
    ncb4, tpnl and Ilkyway like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DubbySmurf View Post
    I finally ordered a Brain Bag. I spent too many hours deciding which color to get, but i decided on French Blue. And of course, when you go to order one bag, you of course need to order other things so I added a Snake Charmer as well. I refrained from a Freudian Slip. I have so much self control I tell myself.
    Are you kidding? I don't think anyone on this forum has self-control. I know I don't. I just got a Brain Bag, too, and I love it. And I've already placed an order for a Night Flight, and I'm trying to keep myself from adding to it with an Aeronaut 30. Keep my fingers away from that phone!

Congratulations on your new French Blue BB: that is a beautiful color.

~Nancy

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    Are you kidding? I don't think anyone on this forum has self-control. I know I don't. I just got a Brain Bag, too, and I love it. And I've already placed an order for a Night Flight, and I'm trying to keep myself from adding to it with an Aeronaut 30. Keep my fingers away from that phone!

Congratulations on your new French Blue BB: that is a beautiful color.

~Nancy
    Nancy, This was in GEOcycle's post from the middle (post #441) of the TB Anticipation Syndrome thread, but I think it's appropriate to reuse it here:
    Name:  366k59.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  23.9 KB

moriond

@moriond: all the <3s for that pic.

I'm on a bag-buying moratorium now, but I almost feel like getting an updated BB to reward myself for writing this awful memo at 3am.

But since that's not happening, /please/, all you new BB people, post the nice pictures when your bag arrives! \o/ I hope you have buckets of pouches to go with the swanky new colours.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Quote Originally Posted by DubbySmurf View Post
    I finally ordered a Brain Bag. . . . I refrained from a Freudian Slip.
    In my experience, you don't need a Freudian Slip unless you carry papers—in which case, it's the best accessory ever.

So I just ordered a black Brain Bag for my Husband. He was toying around with my Smart Alec and my Synapse 25 but he is not sure jet, which one he wants. And after I showed him the Brain Bag he started thinking all over again. Today I convinced him to get a Brain Bag into the house so that he could test it against the two others. Sadly I could not talk him into French Blue but this way I get to see this BIG boy in person and can decide if I would ever use it in real life. Guess what: I asked for ANY kind of pouch in French Blue to add to my order so that I can get a feeling for this color. It is intriguing me ever since the first Cafe Bags came out in it.

Since Bags have a long travel till they are at residence Ilkyway I hope that someone takes pictures long before I am able to. Otherwise I'll give you a peak into a black Brain Bag of the new bread.

Wow, couldn't believe you ordered black at first, until I read on about your plot to afflict your husband with TBAS. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

It was black or olive... So black it was. ;-)

My bag arrived! Holy cow it is much bigger than expected. I love it. I will try to get some photos up tonight
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.

Anyone have both the S25 and the BB that can do a fit comparison?

I'm 6'1"/210lbs with a 30" inseam (short legs!). I returned the S25 I ordered due to the close strap placement. I have fairly thick shoulders/neck, so the close placement did not allow the bag to "settle" into a comfortable carry position. It felt like it was pinching my neck.

I'd love to pick up a BB, but I'm a bit gun-shy now. It was very hard to send that beautiful S25 back, because I loved everything else about it.

By fit comparison, are you looking for something specific? If it is the shoulders/neck fit, what is the collar size you use for shirts?

I have both bags and can try something. FYI, my shirts have a size 18 collar and I am wide shouldered (Size 48 or higher suit jacket) - is this similar to you?
    However, I was fine with my S25 but it took a few times wearing the backpack to soften the straps. My shoulders are not flat so the straps need to rest at an angle on my shoulders and wearing it softens the straps so they will easily rest at an angle.

Now, my 2004 BB has the widest distance between the straps between the S25, SA and BB and feels nice and relaxed on my shoulders - though the SA strap distance actually fits me the best. My BB also has slightly wider straps as well. I will measure the strap distances when I get back home unless something can do it sooner.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    RobNC likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast