Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: New Brain Bag updated to $190, with great Burnt Orange

@DubbySmurf

Another thought on getting an S25:
    It can be the perfect "Grey Man" backpack in muted colors - Grey Man is, after all, about blending in an urban environment from a defensive / know your surroundings point of view. Perhaps this may help "toughen" the image of the S25 for your family. See this review:

Black Scout Survival: Perfect Gray Man Pack: Tom Bihn Synapse 25

Also ... don't know if the BB Universal Camouflage version is still available?

Hope this Helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-16-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

The Brain Bag product page on the web-site is a bit confusing. Is Camo still available? It talks about it in the body-text, but I can't see where you can select it. Is a Camo Brain Bag also now $190?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Oh @tpnl I have seen that video countless times! Haha and it's not that I want a militaristic looking bag, but rather that I liked the companies practices and how they work with charities for veterans. Anyways, i think I might have to orders brain bag in burnt orange and French blue to compare them. I must resist from also ordering a GR and S25! My wallet can only handle so much!! Haha

@DubbySmurf
    Do you ever consider Goruck Shadow Rucks SD25? It may not carry that much, compare to Brain Bag or Goruck GR series. I am just wondering whether you ever consider to, because I used to consider once.

I did not go ahead because I found out that some customer face problem with their Bag's built quality. Shall that happened, the high cost of returning (Malaysia). Their bags' prices are quite high, almost equivalent to TB. Yet, I don't think I will such good Sales Support like friendly Customer Service from TB Staffs and outstanding community support at TB Forum.

Also, the material used, as @tpnl suggested - a magnet for pet's hair.

Sent from •41Lumia via TPTalk
    Last edited by weirdguy; 07-17-2014 at 06:03 AM.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by DubbySmurf View Post
    And now the color analysis paralysis begins haha
    I can so relate to this. Drives my wife and kids crazy.

Darcy (or so I think) has just updated the informations on the new Brain Bag on the Blog. 6 more O-Rings... but read for yourself: The Updated Brain Bag - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

Ilkyway

Oh. My assumption of 420d for Exterior is wrong after all.
    Sent from 41Lumia via TPTalk
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Well, it was an understandable mistake and there was no harm done, so do not be hard on yourself.

Ilkyway

@weirdguy

Many people want an all 420d Parapack option again anyways (even if just to stop the pet hair thing) so you are just putting a voice to the need!

Thanks also for being the first person (I think) to notice the change on the website! Just that stirred up a lot of excitement.

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I do wonder if the universal camo is being offered anymore, given that all the bags will have a (black) ballistic bottom from now on. I mean, part of the point of the camo version is to be all-camo, right?

So... who ordered the new BB? I wish I could raise my hand, but I got a kelly green old-style BB off ebay a few days ago. The combination of bright green and a big mark-down proved irresistable. Now I'm just hoping the bag is as new as it looks in the photos.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-17-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    ISO: Old TB stuff! But especially Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine MCB, Kiwi, Ultrasuede LSes, Pink Swift, Ego seat belt buckle strips, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

New Brain Bag updated to $190, with great Burnt Orange

I'm not sure if I'm reading the specs on the S25 and BB properly but they appear to be about the same size?? But the BB is listed at 36L. Where is the extra space coming from?

Also BB owners how does it hold up while carrying a heavier load for a prolonged time? I've found that with my S25 it's fine for short trips 15-20 min but after that it can start getting uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm reading the specs on the S25 and BB properly but they appear to be about the same size?? But the BB is listed at 36L. Where is the extra space coming from?
    Vertically the S25 has 2" more than the BB; that's actually really significant. Depth-wise, both are 9" but IMO the extra depth in the BB will come from the absence of the lower pocket that's present in the Synapses. The lower pocket is included in the 9" depth and has a depth of roughly 3" (possibly a bit more) in the S25. So when the lower pocket is full, you only have 6" of depth to work with. This won't happen with the BB.

Basically, from what little I know, where the S25 has fancy pockets for organisation the BB is mostly empty space, though it is vertically divided into 2 large sections. (I must be one of the few Synapse owners who often feel "cheated" by the lack of space to just /dump/ things indiscriminately, which is why I am keen to get a BB to complement my SA.)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-17-2014 at 07:28 PM.
    ISO: Old TB stuff! But especially Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine MCB, Kiwi, Ultrasuede LSes, Pink Swift, Ego seat belt buckle strips, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

@chrisc983

To add to what @adalangdon wrote, the different shape of the bags accounts for a lot of difference in capacity in addition to how the pockets are laid out.
    The BB is more rectangular in shape both from a side view and front view. The S25 is tapered at the top and the bottom
    Taking this as the fact that the BB is wider (uniformly 14" top to bottom vs 13.4" in the middle tapering at the top and bottom), there is a lot more capacity added even thought the S25 is 2" longer.

take look at these side views to see how the above makes a difference:

Name:  TB0111_19b.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  39.1 KB
    Name:  Brn1.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  150.3 KB

To answer your question on how comfortable the BB is carrying a heavy load for a long time, I have not had any issues - aside from accidentally hitting pillars and people because it gets very deep when fully loaded and is easy to swing around. The shoulder straps are slightly wider and the waist strap is a 1/2" wider than the S25 / SA for supporting a heavier load. The back foam is also very comfortable and wide (good for distribution of weight per square inch - the S25 is not nearly as wide). Also, by having 2 main compartments, I have good options to distribute the load a bit better as well. I once used the BB as my main bag and had my wife's roller as well. The roller gave me more back pain because I was always leaning or something to accommodate the height of the handle!

The last thing about the BB to note is that it is Tom's oldest running design - since around 1998 I believe - that has not changed much structurally over the years. That, to me, says something of how good the design is.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-17-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Tpnl; Since the waist belt is wider does it actually work more as a load bearing belt rather than just to stabilize the pack like on the S25? Also what would you say the longest you have worn it for? It will be my EDC/work bag but will do double duty when going out with the family. Like going to disneyland and walking around with it all day probably medium to fully loaded. Carrying a load for 3 kids plus myself. Finally talked wife into wearing a backpack but unfortunately not a TB...for now just give it time.

Edit: forgot to also ask what do you use to manage all of straps if you do any management with them?

After actually searching the forums for more info on the BB thanks to a lot of posts, especially yours tpnl I believe it will be my next TB purchase if this other bag I ordered doesn't work out. How long have you had your BB for tpnl?

I am already planning it out in my head, if end up with the BB. Use my existing cache then get a Freudian slip, leads pocket, and possibly GP pocket if it will fit under the leads pocket using the mounting system of the anex clips. And best of all I will be able to use all of pouches with all of the new O rings in the new BB. The hardest part will be what color?? That orange looks great but not the best when visiting clients, although they are my companies colors and I live near and work a lot in SF. Go GIANTS!

Just thinking about it wants me to cancel my order of another bag that is unfortunately from another manufacturer that I went to test out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast