Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: New Brain Bag updated to $190, with great Burnt Orange

After finally waiting for so long, I thought I would be ready to pull the trigger on a brain bag. Now I can't decide on what colors, between Burnt Orange, French Blue, Olive, or Navy. So many decisions. Then I saw the blog post on the RTW trip with a Synapse 19 and though to myself, a S25 would do the trick! And then I of course go back to admiring Goruck then to TB and so on and so forth. I just can't make any decisions! Someone should order for me...

So long as you pay... no problem! I'll do it.

You are looking at quite a wide range of Backpacks there. I'd thing (if it is only to be one of them...) you should be able to narrow it down by "packing it up" virtually. No way the S19 and the Brain Bag are serving the same purposes.

Ilkway, you're definitely correct. The S19 wouldn't work for me at all, but I was thinking the S25 or GR1 might work. I know the BB and the GR2 would work for sure, but aesthetically, the S25 looks so good! I will probably end up ordering a ~40 liter bag such as the GR2 or BB soon, then a ~25 liter bag such as the S25 or GR1 later. I know from others help the BB will for sure hold everything I need. But the colors are so beautiful! Thanks for listening. I think I just need to talk a bit out loud to determine that.

TL;DR I am between the BB and the GR2. Amazing companies the both, but ugh. Choosing sucks. Vielen Dank
    carl0 and Ilkyway like this.

Gern geschehen ;-)

I do not know the return-policy of Goruck, but if it is as good as Tom Bihns than maybe you should have a look at thous packs side by side to help you decide? I think your problem can be solved only by touch/feel. For me it has a lot to do with colors. I had searched long for bags that combine quality with color. Before I found Tom Bihn it was: color but weak or black and strong. Now I can have all the color I can wish for (with a little patience now and than) and all the quality possible. But if black (or they are doing sand as well, if I recall correctly) is an option for you, than compare them side by side. Just my two cents though.

Very true. Goruck is black or camo. Not discreet not attractive. But then it comes down to burnt orange or French blue or navy or olive haha. Analysis paralysis by any other name haah. Thanks so much again.

WOW! The Burnt Orange BB really grabbed me... I can hear it's siren calling me... Must checkout DH's BB to see if it's something I would use myself. Problem is I just received my Aubergine /Wasabi SA with top modular pocket. How do I justify it?? 😱

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat...

Quote Originally Posted by yeb90 View Post
    Very true. I don't care all that much about the design upgrades which is why I ordered when I did. I just didn't expect to be so tempted by the new colors.
    Why not ask? For all you know, they might be planning to ship you an updated version,I mean, since you mentioned its on back order, I'm guessing they're only making the new ones now, to streamline production.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    The new color selections are good and tempting if I were not a mostly all-black bag type of a person - though the French Blue does call to me as it is similar to me to the "happy" Indigo color they had in the past that I liked ... decisions, decisions ... my "darn" current Brain Bag will not die and give me an excuse to get another one! ... but that's a good thing.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I think I'll go with the French Blue. That is a color I really like and do not own jet. I like the plum too (soo pritty) but I do have a plum Backpack and the French blue could be nicely dressed with pink paracord.

Ilkyway
    French Blue = VERY HAPPY! It is second only to Storm, in my opinion anyway lol
    If any of you does pull the trigger, please post lots of photos!

New Brain Bag updated to $190, with great Burnt Orange

Anyone know where they added the o rings? Wish they added a frame sheet to it like the guides pack.

Very tempted to cancel my order for a vertx gamut to get the BB instead.

From my call to TB Customer Service today - there are 3 o rings in each of the 2 main pockets, and 1 o ring in each of the 3 front zippered pockets. Total of 9 o rings in the updated BB.
    Last edited by GriffCouch; 07-16-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DubbySmurf View Post
    ... I was thinking the S25 or GR1 might work. I know the BB and the GR2 would work for sure, but aesthetically, the S25 looks so good! I will probably end up ordering a ~40 liter bag such as the GR2 or BB soon, then a ~25 liter bag such as the S25 or GR1 later... I know from others help the BB will for sure hold everything I need ...
    @DubbySmurf - Just my 2 cents worth to perhaps make your decision more black and white ... from a design form/function point of view.

I also looked at the GR1 and GR2 and I had a few thoughts in relation to the BB and S25 equivalents:

Packing Styles - The Goruck and TB backpacks have very different styles. The Goruck is more of a luggage style. TB is more of a EDC style. You are best to put the Goruck flat to get most things out while with the TB, you can easily get at the top stuff (a little harder with the bottom stuff - hence the O-Rings to hang top item from and not loose things when getting stuff at the bottom). However, if you travel via air a lot and will be the main use for these bags, the Goruck luggage style may work better for you (that is why TB's travel line - Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer are luggage style - maybe look at those too).

Overall Style - What style of bag do you need that meets the majority of your needs - Business? Outdoor? Survival? Grey Man? Carry-on? Goruck is military style and is great for that - but is that the style you want to be seen in always? TB is more casual professional - is that the style you need most or is it more survival / military? I know Goruck has a more civilian line but it still looks military IMHO because it is still "rectangular" in looks.

Color - TB has many more colors than Goruck (just black and beige from what I see). So, if you want more color -TB is the only way to go.

Pet Hair and other lint (don't laugh - not good going into a boardroom with a dog/cat hair bedecked shirt and pants) - The Goruck is ONLY all Cordura - pet hair magnet. With the S25, you can go Dyneema and I suspect that the BB bottom being now Ballistic Nylon is so it does not collect pet hairs / Lint on the floor a much (smart design change). BTW, with lighter colors - which TB has - it hides pet hair better.

Now, I really do like the Goruck products and if I were mainly doing outdoor work / training / camps, I would get it in a heartbeat - but I not that ... I am an office jockey where it is more "Survivor PowerPoint Presentation" . For me, I would get the Goruck as a optional "luxury" if I had the funds so I could use it for the few situations I am in where it would fit in.

Hope this helps (more than it confuses ... )

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-16-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by GriffCouch View Post
    From my call to TB Customer Service today - there are 3 o rings in each of the 2 main pockets, and 1 o ring in each of the 3 front zippered pockets. Total of 9 o rings in the updated BB.
    Thanks!

Soooo many o-rings this is going to be a hard decision, to cancel my other bag order and wait for a BB. That's the one thing I started to really like about TB is all of the different pouches and O rings to attached them to.

Wow @tpnl... You summed it all up perfectly for me. My purpose for the bag will be predominately school, with some travel, hiking, work, etc thrown in. The one thing about goruck was the background. I come from a military family, so that has always been a small bias for me. Otoh, Tom Bihn is still also made in America which I love. After talking with everyone, I am definitely leaning more toward the BB. And now the color analysis paralysis begins haha
    Thank you all so much for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Not quite right. Parapack colours are grey, olive, black, and navy. The announcement also said "Note on the Brain Bag: the next batch of Brain Bags will be made with an exterior of 1000d Cordura, an interior of Parapack, and (due to your popular demand) a bottom of 1050d ballistic nylon. And, oh yeah: more o-rings (!!!). When the updated Brain Bag debuts, the new price will be $190."

I'd have died and gone to fabric heaven by now if parapack came in more colours!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    the pics above say 420d-thought that meant parapak. is that not true?
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    so, is the navy one ballistic navy? parapak? cordura? how do we tell from the product description when the drop down menu says navy 420d, that means parapak, and if it just says navy that means ballistic. @Darcy, is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I would agree that all the new bags are probably Cordura exteriors (except bottom). I have not heard any mention of a full Parapack version since last year's run.
    I think they are still updating the website so there are some discrepancies - e.g. The part where you select colors does not indicate any different exteriors (other bags show - Black / Black Dyneema, etc) - so no indication of 2 options for exterior. However, the description still says Parapack exterior option under the specification.

The new color selections are good and tempting if I were not a mostly all-black bag type of a person - though the French Blue does call to me as it is similar to me to the "happy" Indigo color they had in the past that I liked ... decisions, decisions ... my "darn" current Brain Bag will not die and give me an excuse to get another one! ... but that's a good thing.

Cheers!
    I am so sorry that I had made public a wrong message that the photoed Orange, French Blue and Navy were in 420d Parapack.
    I should not have listed such information, without any information from reliable sources.

I had made changes to the first post and comment on my mistake as well.

However, Parapacks Material comes in Olive, Navy, Steel and Black.

Perhaps, Brain Bag - the Material Part where the colors (Olive, Black and Navy) are built is 420d Parapack. While the interior Steel Lining is made with 420d Parapack.
    While, for the remaining color option, they are made with 1000d Cordura.
    My assumption.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast