• 2 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By kkintea
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 4 Post By papids2000
  • 1 Post By NWhikergal

Thread: Western Flyer

Question Western Flyer

Will it be coming back?

I certainly hope so! And in DYNEEEMAAA!! The aeronaut 30 is not a replacement. Those of us who are shorter waisted and who prefer more built in organization need a smaller travel bag too. I ordered an Aeronaut 30 and then cancelled the order when i read that is is a comfortable for a 6 footer and that the backpack strap attachment is as long as it is on the aeronaut 45.

Eventually. See this post for info on backorders Update on Backorders

Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    I certainly hope so! And in DYNEEEMAAA!! The aeronaut 30 is not a replacement. Those of us who are shorter waisted and who prefer more built in organization need a smaller travel bag too. I ordered an Aeronaut 30 and then cancelled the order when i read that is is a comfortable for a 6 footer and that the backpack strap attachment is as long as it is on the aeronaut 45.
    I am kind of worried about this too! My Aeronaut 30 is on order. Will let you know how it fits a 5'2" person.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

New bags are introduced all the time and old designs are retired - even venerable ones like the WF. Just hoping it's not the WF's retirement time!!

Yes,bchaplin, please let us know about the aeronaut 30. My other problem with the Aeronaut 30 is that i wouldn't be filling it and am not sure how well it would carry with backpack straps if not filled.

Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    Yes,bchaplin, please let us know about the aeronaut 30. My other problem with the Aeronaut 30 is that i wouldn't be filling it and am not sure how well it would carry with backpack straps if not filled.
    Jannilee, I'm 5'3" and I just carried an A30 that wasn't full to capacity. I think you have to ensure that your load is stabilized and that you pack heavier items on the side that will be the bottom when it is in backpack mode, but it carried really well for me. There may be a bit of an adjustment period if you aren't already used to the way the Aeronaut is laid out, but I definitely think you should give it a try.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my wf but really want one in dyneema. The shipping costs to Canada mean that i won't be getting an aeronaut 30 on spec. Perhaps if i go to Seattle sometime soon I will give it a try. Since i can already pack the wf heavier than i want to carry I don't need the extra space.

I loved my WF in dyneema. It has a new home now in anticipation of the arrival of the Aeronaut 30, so I sure hope the A30 fits me! I suppose I'll carry it by the handle or a strap most of the time but it would be good if I can wear it on my back as well. If Badger is comfortable with it at a similar height, that's a good sign.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I loved my WF in dyneema. It has a new home now in anticipation of the arrival of the Aeronaut 30, so I sure hope the A30 fits me! I suppose I'll carry it by the handle or a strap most of the time but it would be good if I can wear it on my back as well. If Badger is comfortable with it at a similar height, that's a good sign.
    And it just came back from its inaugural journey to Berlin! I had it in backpack mode the entire trip. I also carry the A45 that way, but I'm nearly 5'10".

Ilkyway likes this.
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

My WF has been to Germany! I'm so proud. I hope it joined in the World Cup celebrations.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Well, bchaplin, how DOES the aeronaut 30 fit you? Have you tried it loaded yet?

I haven't received it yet! Will report back when I do. Though I am wondering if should change the order to ballistic.
    Beth

----

I hope they continue to make the Western Flyer also. It is our most popular Tom Bihn bag when we travel. Just enough organization without being too complicated and keeps our packing to a minimum. Perfect for us shorter people also. We took ours to Germany also and they were our only bags for the 12 day trip. I had always wished they would make a Western Flyer with just one main compartment and a few smaller organizational pockets to really keep it simple and offer a lower cost alternative. Maybe they could name it The East Coast Flyer.

PS: Please bring back the Portable Culture patch! I agree.
    Last edited by papids2000; 07-20-2014 at 08:02 AM.

@bchaplin and @jannilee, the A30 feels very comfortable to me as a 5'3" person, unlike the A45 which felt way too big when I tried one on briefly. I ended up getting ballistic, since I have a dyneema smart alec, and I wanted a different fabric for the A30, plus something that I could use for business travel if needed. For what it is worth, I think the load will probably feel most stable if the heavier items are closest to one's back while wearing it in backpack mode.

I have not used a Western Flyer, so I am sorry to be unable to compare it directly.

ETA: Also, using the inner compression straps will likely help to stabilize loads if it is not fully packed.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-20-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0