Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Curious about the LCB

Curious about the LCB

I currently own an MCB and I absolutely love it, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a LCB (partially because there is a black dyneema/solar option). I realize that they are, in essence, the same bag only the LCB is a bit bigger, but I'm not sure of the differences as an EDC and I would be very grateful if someone who has both could tell me which one they use more/less and why/why not. I also noticed on the product page that there is an option for an Absolute Strap, but I don't see where on the bag how to replace the current strap with the Absolute.

I'm also looking into replacing my roommate's EDC. She currently has a crossbody and it's falling apart given that she uses it every day. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend which bag would be the best replacement. For full disclosure, she usually carries a small sketchbook & some pens/pencils (the amount being around the size of the Field Notebook), wallet, cell, a Nintendo 3DS, keys, and an iPad on occasion.

Thanks so much!
    A45, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

The LCB is actually quite a bit bigger. I've considered a LCB in the past but my concern is putting too much in it or having everyone else want me to carry their stuff for them.

When you ask about the absolute strap, are you talking about the MCB or LCB? The absolute strap is only an option for the Large. The medium and small have permanently fixed regular straps.

For your roommate, I think the MCB would be best if you're looking for a somewhat purse-like, versatile bag. The medium is probably the most comfortable in terms of fitting her maximum load out, and it holds a regular size iPad with no problem.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The strap for the LCB. I was looking at the product images and didn't see where to take off the provided strap and replace it with the Absolute.

Sometimes when I carry my iPad with some of my other EDC things in my MCB, it feels as though the strap digs into my shoulder a bit more, especially if I have it on me for a full day of activity. I was thinking the LCB might compensate a little for that so it doesn't feel like a burden or make me pick and choose which things I want to take with me.

I thought the MCB would be the best for her. I offered to let her test-drive my MCB to see how she likes it. I don't think I can make her a total Tom Bihn convert, but I figure at least one bag that will handle everyday abuse would be a good idea considering her current bag is definitely showing wear, especially near where the straps are attached.

Thank you so much.
    A45, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

I own both and while the LCB is only slightly larger than the MCB it seems like a much bigger bag. One of the issues I noticed is that do to the “vertical” nature of the bag items settle to the bottom. In the MCB the smaller size seems to minimize this while the LCB expands and the bag sort of bulges out more. This can be minimized by using the o-rings to hold items toward the top of the bag.

Probably the biggest issue for me personally is the fact that – if I have space I’ll fill it. So, my LCB was probably overstuffed with items I just didn’t need on most days. However, I still use the LCB at times particularly for visits to events where I may buy things and need the extra room to carry my loot.

The strap on the LCB is removable by simply sliding it out of the buckles. So, I believe the absolute strap that comes with the LCB does not have clips, but just a long strap that slides through the buckles. The standard LCB strap comes with a better shoulder pad than the MCB and for me works just fine.
    Last edited by BarryLee; 07-15-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Thank you very much @BarryLee. I think the LCB will probably be a good fit for me and I can just switch between the two depending on what I'm doing/where I will be. I really appreciate all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by al85 View Post
    The strap for the LCB. I was looking at the product images and didn't see where to take off the provided strap and replace it with the Absolute.

Thank you so much.
    You don't. The bag is manufactured with either the regular strap or the Absolute. They are not interchangeable.
    Last edited by Frank II; 07-15-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

[...]I'm also looking into replacing my roommate's EDC. She currently has a crossbody[...]
    What about the Swift or Little Swift? They look like great bags! Some good colors right now too...

I have the LCB, a couple of my young daughters have the MCB. While I could fit my EDC items into the MCB, I prefer a looser fit and thus love the fit and feel of the LCB. I really like the regular strap, as the strap itself slides through the padded strap holder making it easy to transfer the LCB from front to back while wearing it crossbody.

The danger, as others have pointed out, is that it's possible to stuff it quite full- it'll easily swallow my old school netbook, my kindle, notebooks, water bottles, etc. But as the mom of many small children, I like the versatility of having extra space when needed.

HTH! Good luck!

oh- one other thing- the LCB strap is threaded through plastic threaders (sorry, I'm not sure of the technical term ), the strap is not on D-ring clips. But I would think if you called the TB mothership it would be possible to order both straps. You'd have to unthread one and rethread the other, but- unlike the MCB- the strap is not sewn in, so my guess is that the strap might in fact be interchangeable. That being said, the regular strap has always served me well, even the times when it's really loaded up

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    You don't. The bag is manufactured with either the regular strap or the Absolute. They are not interchangeable.
    In the LCB, the straps are interchangeable via Tri-glides. It's not a real quick change (unless you outfit the bag with cheater Ds and the straps with snap hooks), but it is certainly possible without resorting to scissors.

It is the MCB and the SCB that have the straps sewn directly on the bag.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    In the LCB, the straps are interchangeable via Tri-glides. It's not a real quick change (unless you outfit the bag with cheater Ds and the straps with snap hooks), but it is certainly possible without resorting to scissors.

It is the MCB and the SCB that have the straps sewn directly on the bag.
    The older LCBs have straps sewn directly on the bag. I bought mine in 2006, not sure when they switched the design. Maybe Frank II has one of the older ones?

I have all three Cafe Bags and I used the MCB for about ten years. I'm currently using an LCB and I like it a lot. I try not to carry anything more than I'd put in the MCB. It gives me the ability to carry extra stuff temporarily. I don't have any problems with stuff shifting to the bottom as I use Org Pouches and have my non TB wallet on a key strap. I like the built in pockets on the LCB better.

I use the Ultrasuede wrap on my MCB, but the strap on the LCB is fine as is. I don't know which bag would work best for you but I think you'll like either one.

My MCB is organized kind of like your bag, @spindlitis, so transferring it over to the LCB shouldn't be an issue. Thank you so much!

It's the secret to happiness with an LCB--carry as much as you'd carry in an MCB!

I'm also looking into replacing my roommate's EDC. She currently has a crossbody and it's falling apart given that she uses it every day. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend which bag would be the best replacement. For full disclosure, she usually carries a small sketchbook & some pens/pencils (the amount being around the size of the Field Notebook), wallet, cell, a Nintendo 3DS, keys, and an iPad on occasion.
    Definitely a MCB, unless she wants the extra space of a LCB (and is tall enough to not let it overwhelm her, appearance-wise). I checked the dimensions of the Nintendo 3DS; IMO she'll have quite a bit of space to spare with all her EDC is in. If she has a tendency to stuff her bag over the course of the day, I would recommend avoiding bags that have cordura inside and out. Of all my SCBs, I've found that the all-cordura ones are hardest to get stuff in and out of (when packed with stuff, that is) because of the rough surface.

I had a VB purse several years ago. It magically developed a hole after a few months of daily use
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-19-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0