Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Packing Cube Backpack in a Smart Alec

Packing Cube Backpack in a Smart Alec

Any tips for using a Packing Cube Backpack in a Smart Alec? I'm not sure if the vertical orientation is ideal. I used the PCBP about half full and ending up having to shove it in next to my massive laptop (Dell precision M6800 which has a 17.3" screen). I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Aeronaut PCBP instead of TS/WF.

I would have thought the TS/WF PCBP should be the right height and width for a Smart Alec - the large WF packing cube worked well when I did a quick'n'dirty test pack of my WF contents into my SA. But if you only half-fill the PCBP, the contents are going to sag down which is not ideal - and I can't see that the Aeronaut PCBP would be an improvement in that situation. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

(I haven't used my SA yet - I'm awaiting a trip down to London in August, when I'm likely to be carrying bulky items and only a small amount of clothing...)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I actually use the Aeronaut PCBP in my Smart Alec for traveling all the time. I think that the difference might be that I use the packing cube as a packing cube--that is to say, I turn the PCBP inside out and use the smaller compartment for underwear, socks, bra, and the larger compartment for skirts, pants, and shirts. The Aeronaut PCBP used in this way is significantly shorter than the WF/TS PCBP--so I don't have any problems fitting my computer in the cache on rails, my 311 bag, a size 1 SS with charger and microfiber clothe, a 3D organizer with my charging kit that I put together, a TT, a Kleen Kanteen, and a SE or UMP that I use for all of my daily carry things. Let me know if a picture or two would help, and I will try and post them tonight.

HTH.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    I actually use the Aeronaut PCBP in my Smart Alec for traveling all the time. I think that the difference might be that I use the packing cube as a packing cube--that is to say, I turn the PCBP inside out and use the smaller compartment for underwear, socks, bra, and the larger compartment for skirts, pants, and shirts. The Aeronaut PCBP used in this way is significantly shorter than the WF/TS PCBP--so I don't have any problems fitting my computer in the cache on rails, my 311 bag, a size 1 SS with charger and microfiber clothe, a 3D organizer with my charging kit that I put together, a TT, a Kleen Kanteen, and a SE or UMP that I use for all of my daily carry things. Let me know if a picture or two would help, and I will try and post them tonight.

HTH.
    I'm curious about this, too! Would you mind posting photos?
    TB Gear: Synapse 25: Black Dyneema/Wasabi, Side Effect: Black/UV, 3D Clear Organizer Cube: Conifer, Double Organizer Pouches (S+M): Black

Alrighty...here is a photo dump to illustrate what I was talking about. Sorry about the messed up hotel bed. Hopefully the beautiful Bihn extravaganza going on will make up for that

In this first batch of pictures there is the Aeronaut PCBP and clothes, and then I put those in the SA by themselves to try and illustrate a feel for how much room is left over. I will give a full packing list with the next set of pictures.

Attachment 7207Attachment 7208Attachment 7209Attachment 7210Attachment 7211

Second set:

I have everything laid out, and then packed in the SA. The whole kit and caboodle is fairly full, but the SA definitely does not feel in any way uncomfortable. I am 5'5'' and I have absolutely not problem carrying this load while traveling, which includes the inevitable running to catch a connecting flight, riding the public transportation to get the airport in the first place, having to lug it around the airport, etc. I usually take my SA with my co-pilot, though in this case, everything fit in the SA without even having to attach the Upper modular pouch to the outside--here I have it laying on top of everything with all of my little odds and ends like iPod, wallet, chapstick, medicine, etc.

Edited: added working pictures below
    Last edited by mjpinter; 07-14-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

22oz Lifefactory bottle
    Size 1 SS: Macbook charger, microfiber clothe
    UV 3D organizer: homemade charging kit, plug, usb port, cables, adapters
    Clear 3D organizer: 311 bag
    Solar SE: reusable eating kit, bamboo fork/spoon/knife set, hand wipes, Sea to Summit mug, cup, bowl, DOP with coffee kit, cloth napkin, coffee jar cozie, cuppow lid
    Steel 3D organizer: tissues, face cloth, Pactowel, toothbrush, comb, sink stopper, laundry line
    Upper modular pouch: 5 mini organizer pouches with FAK, music, medicine, etc. and clear organizer wallet, keys
    Solar TT: HDMI adapter for iPad (for watching movies in the hotel, giving presentations with my iPad, etc.) this TT holds all of the charging stuff in the hotel room—I have a second one that goes in the bathroom, but I didn’t bring it this time
    Kindle paperwhite
    MBA 11’’ in cache on rails
    (not shown) pencil pouch and small Field Notes notebook in side pocket of SA
    Iberian Aeronaut PCBP: 2 merino wool dresses, 2 pairs of merino wool socks, 2 Exofficio underwear, 1 bra, 2 short sleeve shirts, 1 cardigan (merino wool), 1 merino wool hoodie

All of this, plus the jeans and shirt that I am wearing now would be good for any conference long weekend, or any weeklong or more travel. I use Bronner’s soap and the merino wool stuff really does dry within hours and is so comfortable. I feel guilty having a Aeronaut 45 because honestly the SA does such a fantastic job as a travel mate. (but it is Nordic, so I can’t let it go!)

Typically I carry the electronic goodies in my copilot, in which case I could easily fit another pair of shoes, etc.

Sorry for totally taking over the thread...but I hope that this is helpful to people in deciding their travel set-up.

Here is a link to a TB crew post on what packing cubes fit a Smart Alec:

Using Packing Cubes in the Smart Alec (photos) - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

I agree that the Aeronaut PCBP would be good if you are also using a Brain Cell because it is "shorter" than the Tri-Star version. It will fit better given the sloped top of the Smart Alec which would require the PCBP in front of the Brain Cell be not a tall as the 18" allowed at the back of the bag. However, the Tri-Star version is ok - just do not fill the full length.

Hope this help

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-14-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

[QUOTE=mjpinter;72310]Second set:

I have everything laid out, and then packed in the SA. The whole kit and caboodle is fairly full, but the SA definitely does not feel in any way uncomfortable. I am 5'5'' and I have absolutely not problem carrying this load while traveling, which includes the inevitable running to catch a connecting flight, riding the public transportation to get the airport in the first place, having to lug it around the airport, etc. I usually take my SA with my co-pilot, though in this case, everything fit in the SA without even having to attach the Upper modular pouch to the outside--here I have it laying on top of everything with all of my little odds and ends like iPod, wallet, chapstick, medicine, etc.

Edited to add working pictures:
    Attachment 7220Attachment 7221Attachment 7222Attachment 7223Attachment 7224

Thanks, @mjpinter! The photos are great, and really help me visualize how this packing configuration works -- ans see just how much a Smart Alec can hold and still look good! Thanks again!
    TB Gear: Synapse 25: Black Dyneema/Wasabi, Side Effect: Black/UV, 3D Clear Organizer Cube: Conifer, Double Organizer Pouches (S+M): Black

Wat is wrong with me? I have two Smart Alecs but vor some reason this pictures had me thinking: wow great pack, should I get one? I love bag-picktures, love seeing how other people use the space and their accessories. And some very primitive part of my brain is very fast with a want-reaction to pictures like this. I have to keep a keen eye on this brain-part!

Ilkyway

Does anyone incidentally know how much depth in the bag is remaining *after* the MacBook in the cache is in the bag? I couldn't get what I needed to fit into an s25 (it's more narrow at the too), and I'm wondering if there would be more room in the SA? Part of the problem is that the laptop takes up a decent amount of interior space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Wat is wrong with me? I have two Smart Alecs but vor some reason this pictures had me thinking: wow great pack, should I get one? I love bag-picktures, love seeing how other people use the space and their accessories. And some very primitive part of my brain is very fast with a want-reaction to pictures like this. I have to keep a keen eye on this brain-part!
    You are not alone, @Ilkyway!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

This is the most excellent thread ever, especially mjpinter's photos. I learned so much from those posts. It compelled me to try the Aeronaut PCBP inside out, and to put a 3D mesh cube and 3D clear cube into the two upper Smart Alec pockets. Genius! Also, for those that struggle with the Smart Alec lower inside pocket, it's the perfect size for an iPad mini or a Kindle with a cover.
    Thanks for this thread. It makes me appreciate the Smart Alec so much more!
    Ilkyway likes this.

Can anyone who can see @mjpinter's photos repost them? I've tried different browsers, and I'm only getting 'invalid attachment'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0