Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Could Daylight be suitable for elementary school backpack?

Could Daylight be suitable for elementary school backpack?

Hello everyone,

I've been searching for a "Made-in-U.S.A." school backpack for my kindergartner. I came across the Daylight backpack and I've tried searching to see if anyone else has asked whether the backpack is suitable as an everyday school backpack. I've seen that it fits 5-to-7-year-olds and is utilized for going out, but for anyone who has tried this backpack out, what do you think? Would it reasonably fit folders without curving them and survive a kindergarten classroom? In your opinion, would the Daylight last perhaps 2 school years? I know it might seem silly to ask since it's marketed as a traveling backpack (and is therefore durable), but since I haven't seen a mention of it as a school backpack, it makes me feel odd using it as such.

I do not know what kind of folders yours schools use. With our pre-school folders you would have to protect them, because they are thin and since the Daylighter has no "structure" it will slouch easily. We have some hardcover-boxes for thin folders. With one of thous it would work. I think I would rather go for a S19 since it has more organization and I would be sure that nothing will poke into my children's back since you have to provide the backpannel of some sort. You can do that in the morning for sure, but what if throughout the day, things are not put back in the same way? But this is just me, I think there will be more opinions around.

Ilkyway

PS: Welcome to this awesome Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I do not know what kind of folders yours schools use. With our pre-school folders you would have to protect them, because they are thin and since the Daylighter has no "structure" it will slouch easily. We have some hardcover-boxes for thin folders. With one of thous it would work. I think I would rather go for a S19 since it has more organization and I would be sure that nothing will poke into my children's back since you have to provide the backpannel of some sort. You can do that in the morning for sure, but what if throughout the day, things are not put back in the same way? But this is just me, I think there will be more opinions around.

Ilkyway

PS: Welcome to this awesome Forum!
    I see how the Daylight not having support could be a problem. I initially chose the Daylight due to its price, but the S19 (I'm assuming it's the Synapse 19?) looks like it could last my daughter very many years with its size. I've actually fallen in love with both of these bags, along with a few others for myself! Maybe more people will chime in and help me decide.

Thank you for your input!

Sorry, you are right I meant the Synapse 19. I too hope that more will chime in, because I might be a bit over thinking these thinks. I am called overprotective from time to time. There are very practical thinking parents around here.

For a school backpack, I think the Synapse would be a much better choice. The Daylight seems to be more of a "day-tour" bag, to hold a jacket, wallet, guidebook and snack. The Synapse is larger, and has separate areas, with a dedicated space for a water bottle or umbrella, slots for pens, and more room in the main compartment than the Daylight. IMO it would also hold its shape better.

Even with the Synapse, the folders could curve; you need something like a binder or Trapper to keep them straight.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bria View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've been searching for a "Made-in-U.S.A." school backpack for my kindergartner.
    @Bria Welcome to the TB forums. In the current lineup of bags, I agree with others that the best choice is probably the Synapse 19, which was previously recommended for someone looking for a backpack for a first grader. You can take a look at the pictures in the Kids wearing Synapse 19s thread for examples. The padded and ergonomic backpack design makes this very comfortable to carry, and I've used this size Synapse as my EDC (every day carry) bag for many years. The one issue that may come up is if, at a later time, carrying thick binders is a requirement. The Synapse can carry quite a lot of paper, but thicker binders are usually also wider. See the pictures in this post for more details. Since the current trend is towards less paper and smaller laptops, I think the Synapse 19 is a good choice.

The bag that seems best suited as an everyday school backpack specifically for younger children (age 5) is a discontinued Tom Bihn bag known as the Ruck's Sac (often misspelled as Ruck's Sack or Rucks Sack and even Rucksack). You can sometimes find discontinued bags for sale on eBay or Craig's list, so I'll give a few more details about this bag.

The Ruck's Sac was released in July 2007, last sold around the end of 2009 or early 2010, and you can watch a video that @maverick made demoing this bag:

You can see a picture of @maverick's son (I think at about age 5) wearing the Ruck's Sac at the start of this thread. For more details about this bag, see this old forum post

HTH.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-11-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.