Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Ilkyway
  • 2 Post By icebeng
  • 2 Post By adalangdon
  • 1 Post By adalangdon

Thread: Rain jacket in Large YSS

Rain jacket in Large YSS

Hi! I'm wondering if I should get a Large YSS with my next order to pack my rain jacket. Right now it's crammed into the elastic pocket of my S19, which is less than optimal because I have a folded-up suit jacket in the same bag. My S19 becomes puffy and uncomfortable when both are packed inside, but I need them with me. I'm currently interning (suit jacket) and weather over here now is such that it pours every so often (rain jacket).

Does anyone know if a XS in rain jackets like this Helly Hansen one will fit into a large YSS? I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. The material is a kind of waterproof plastic cloth that's not Gore Tex, and it decompresses easily.

Other suggestions would also be much appreciated.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-11-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego seat-belt buckle stripe, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

I think the large YSS is overkill for that jacket. I have no experience with size XS but the Stuffsack (Normal) size 3 will work for sure. The YSS are round the normal Stuff Sacks are oval. Oval is much more convenient inside other bags.

Ilkyway

I don't have a rain shell like that, I'm assuming it isn't padded at all?
    I used a canvas bomber jacket to test pack and here are the results. I think the thickness of my jacket should more than make up for the space your hood would have taken up.
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  613.8 KB

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  568.1 KB

As you can see, I had space left over, so I tried it with a medium instead.
    Name:  med.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  586.8 KB

I think you might actually be able to pack yours into a small, unfortunately, I can't try as my jacket is thicker and less malleable.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I don't have a rain shell like that, I'm assuming it isn't padded at all?
    I used a canvas bomber jacket to test pack and here are the results. I think the thickness of my jacket should more than make up for the space your hood would have taken up.
    Yup, it has zero padding. Thanks for the visual demo! Totally convinced I need (the real kind of "need") a TSS now. Maybe I can TSS my office jacket too, lol (it doesn't wrinkle, woo!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I think the large YSS is overkill for that jacket. I have no experience with size XS but the Stuffsack (Normal) size 3 will work for sure. The YSS are round the normal Stuff Sacks are oval. Oval is much more convenient inside other bags.
    Gosh, I'm so tired that I'd forgotten the TSSes existed. Yes, size 3 looks about right for my rain jacket...
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego seat-belt buckle stripe, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

Do remember that the TSSs won't have the triangle clips on the inside and the clip on the outside, I thought you might have wanted YSSs for the clips and didn't think to suggest TSSs instead. TSSs also have a different bottom, oval rather than the Yss's round bottom. I think the TSS's shape when stuffed, would be much better for packing inside a bag though.

I like to carry my rainproof jacket in a mesh cube, as it makes a flatter package that seems to take up less space than the cylindrical TSS-like bag the jacket originally came in. I'm using a Travelon one that I bought before I discovered TB, which is about the same size as a 3D Organiser Cube.

For a bulkier jacket, I guess that a small packing cube, e.g. from the Pilot, might be the ideal size?
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Rain jacket in Large YSS

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    For a bulkier jacket, I guess that a small packing cube, e.g. from the Pilot, might be the ideal size?
    I had considered that! But I realised there's a reason my partner does all the folding of laundry at home. I /hate/ folding stuff (I could never do hardcore one-bag travel...), so I figured a SS would suit my "packing" habits better. What I always do is scrunch my jacket into something vaguely ball or lozenge-shaped and shove it into a corner of my bag. I am too lazy to repent of my packing sins
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Hi! I'm wondering if I should get a Large YSS with my next order to pack my rain jacket. Right now it's crammed into the elastic pocket of my S19, which is less than optimal because I have a folded-up suit jacket in the same bag. My S19 becomes puffy and uncomfortable when both are packed inside, but I need them with me. I'm currently interning (suit jacket) and weather over here now is such that it pours every so often (rain jacket).

Does anyone know if a XS in rain jackets like this Helly Hansen one will fit into a large YSS? I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. The material is a kind of waterproof plastic cloth that's not Gore Tex, and it decompresses easily.

Other suggestions would also be much appreciated.
    I think large might be overkill for an XS. I have a large men's MEC Yoho 2 rain jacket, which by all accounts is much bigger than your jacket. It is similarly constructed with waterproofed nylons instead of Goretex (and hence it was a lot less expensive). I can roll it up into it's own hood, and that fits pretty easily into a size 4 stuff sack with room to spare. Surely you could fit an XS into the same or even a slightly smaller sack.

I can also fit 2 down jackets into a large stuff sack since down can pack down so nicely.
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-11-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0