Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Dyneema-like material?

I just did a double-take because I saw a man in the elevator with dark blue and black quadrille-style fabric on his roll aboard bags. It looked like Dyneema but definitely wasn't, as it had his company logo. Is there other material like the trademarked Dyneema?

In California, I see a lot of Timbuk2 and such bags with tech company logos and I am glad TB doesn't do that.

I've seen other bags made of Dyneema fabric. Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC, like REI but Canadian) had apparently made one of their backpack lines in the same/similar quadrille patterned fabric a few years ago. A girl was wearing one a few months ago while buying a commuter train ticket in line ahead of me, but I thought it rude to start asking her questions about her bag... It had a little sag to it, so I'm guessing it was like 210d.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-11-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Found the bag I remember seeing. It was an old MEC AlpineLite. The current range of those bags are still made of 210d, but without the white quadrille pattern.

Apparently Osprey used to make their Aether bags out of the stuff too. My Aether 70 from like 2008 is not made from it though, and this logo looks crazy old. http://www.larsonweb.com/sitebuilder...es/daypack.jpg

The bag you saw could have been Dyneema. That is a registered trademark product of DSM (the inventor and I assume the manufacturer). The TB Dyneema I believe is just custom dyed, but anyone can buy the material itself.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-11-2014 at 07:06 AM.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Name:  Robic backpack.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  126.5 KBI don't know if they make suitcases of this material, but I have an ultralight backpacking backpack made out of Robic material, and the pattern looks very similar to Dyneema.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-11-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks all for the tips. Wow that material looks similar to steel Dyneema from TB!

Perhaps additional evidence that another unique TB Dyneema like orange or pink would be received well?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0