Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: LCB as PCMB substitute?

Okay, I just about drooled over that LCB with the black dyneema/solar, but I am super confused about the strap options-- is the strap truly detachable on this bag? Like you can get the absolute, or the simple or the q-am-- can you buy the padded thingy for the LCB like the MCB to help make the simple strap more comfy?

I feel like the absolute would be overkill with this bag and make it harder to pack, but I find even with my MCB that the strap digs once the bag is full. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am kind of confused.

@atarango1, I asked this in another thread, but there are two types of Absolute Strap, one with snaphooks and one without snaphooks which can be threaded into LCB when the original strap is removed.

@jmoz I have an MCB already and I love it. I'm primarily going to use my LCB while my roommate test drives my MCB so I can convince her to replace her beat up bag with a lovely Tom Bihn. But yeah, I'm going to love the black dyneema/solar. I've been unsure about dyneema, but after using a PCSB for a week, I've been converted.
    I have an obsession with solar, just in case no one has picked up on that yet. If it's in solar, I want it. XD

@atarango1 - Just to expand on al85's comment a bit more- on the LCB, the straps are removable and interchangeable. Unlike most of the bags (Aeronauts, TS, WF, etc.), there is no snap hook on the end; instead, the strap goes to a "Tri-Glide" which is sewed onto the bag. On the "Parts" listing on the website, you can buy a pair of "Cheater 'D's". These are a few inches of strapping with the plastic piece for the snap hook, which is convenient if you'll be sharing a strap between a host bag (in my case, the TS) and the LCB.

Also note that the Simple strap Pad on the LCB is different (and nicer) than the strap on my wife's SCB. I don't know which the MCB has. If I were using the LCB in an ordinary way, I feel like the simple strap with this enhanced pad would be pretty nice. But yes, to clarify, the strap (whichever one you choose) is removable, and you could interchange it with another bag, etc.

I hope that helps!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    @atarango1 - Just to expand on al85's comment a bit more- on the LCB, the straps are removable and interchangeable. Unlike most of the bags (Aeronauts, TS, WF, etc.), there is no snap hook on the end; instead, the strap goes to a "Tri-Glide" which is sewed onto the bag. On the "Parts" listing on the website, you can buy a pair of "Cheater 'D's". These are a few inches of strapping with the plastic piece for the snap hook, which is convenient if you'll be sharing a strap between a host bag (in my case, the TS) and the LCB.

Also note that the Simple strap Pad on the LCB is different (and nicer) than the strap on my wife's SCB. I don't know which the MCB has. If I were using the LCB in an ordinary way, I feel like the simple strap with this enhanced pad would be pretty nice. But yes, to clarify, the strap (whichever one you choose) is removable, and you could interchange it with another bag, etc.

I hope that helps!
    @atarango1 Take a look at the first of @jmoz's LCB pictures: at either side of the bag, rising higher above the sides than for your MCB, are the two triangular attachment points for his Absolute Strap. Those black triangular points with circular centers (Triglides) are the same as the ones you find sewn directly into the sides of your Pilot or Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. @jmoz the MCB strap design is the same as what's used for the SCB, and you're correct that the Simple Strap that comes as a default with the Large Cafe Bag is different from the straps used with the Small and Medium Cafe Bags. Some people simply cut the plastic pad and use a Strap Wrap on the Medium Cafe Bag. (I think this is overkill for the Small Cafe Bag because of the length of the strap wrap, but the same configuration can be used there.) I think the strap wrap is what you mean by the "padded thingy" you use with the Medium Cafe Bag.

The Simple Strap, with a sliding pad that is longer than the plastic pads used for the small and medium cafe bags, is the default strap you get with the Pilot, if you don't upgrade the strap.

My original answer to @jmoz with a recommendation of the MCB, was based on my reading of his outlined goals of a minimalist bag along the lines of the PCSB -- which can't carry too much more than his 11" MacBook Air. The MCB can carry that, a program guide, some papers (in both US letter and A4 size -- the latter important for international conferences), and his laptop accessories. Without the Triglides sticking up, and a bit more rigid against the side of the bag, the MCB packs more flatly. It is also sized so that it can be carried in the Tri-Star without folding. So those were the outlined reasons for my answer. However, I prefaced my post with the phrase "Other things being equal", meaning that he might have other considerations than the ones he specifically outlined, and that included an answer where his Cafe Bag offerings were not limited by what happened to be in stock or sold out at any particular time. So I tried to describe the trade-offs for a general decision.

HTH moriond

One other point of clarification- I think there might be some confusion in terminology, so I thought I'd add some pictures:

Cheater D:
    Name:  cheaterD.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  164.3 KB

Tri-Glide:
    Name:  tri-glide.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  5.5 KB

One other discovery: if you fold it in half (I did vertically) and roll it, the LCB (at least without the strap) fits beautifully and easily into a #2 TSS. (In my case, the one that moriond was kind enough to help me out with during the February backorder.) I didn't take photos, as a picture of a moderately full (but not stuffed) TSS hardly seemed useful, but I thought someone could find that information useful.
    moriond likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    One other discovery: if you fold it in half (I did vertically) and roll it, the LCB (at least without the strap) fits beautifully and easily into a #2 TSS. (In my case, the one that moriond was kind enough to help me out with during the February backorder.) I didn't take photos, as a picture of a moderately full (but not stuffed) TSS hardly seemed useful, but I thought someone could find that information useful.
    @jmoz Nice touch that the folded and rolled LCB in Black/Solar Dyneema fits into a Solar #2 Travel Stuff Sack - seems a fitting reveal of inner contents. And thanks for sorting out the terminology in my last post, which I should go and correct. However, since you've now seen the size of the connector ends for attaching the Absolute Strap clips at the ends of the Cheater D rings, and know the scale from the width of the 1.5" webbing, you can see why, in my original answer suggesting a Medium Cafe Bag, I stated that switching the LCB attachment points to take different straps by their end clip attachments, instead of having the webbing of those strap selections threaded directly into connectors at the sides of the LCB would make the LCB less "minimalist" to stow inside than a Medium Cafe Bag.

moriond

@moriond Your comments were very helpful, and had Dyneema MCB been in stock, I definitely might have gone that route instead. At the same time, the Tri-Glide and Cheater-D fold down pretty flat, so I'm not sure I'm actually losing any space because of the connectors. I think either option would work just fine for anyone else who is in my position (but who is unconstrained by availability.) That said, I do like the idea of having the Absolute strap for potentially long days of standing/walking, so I take that as an added win. Thanks again for being incredibly helpful (both with this and with past questions.)

Last day of the conference, and I'm very happy with the LCB. Although the MCB would work, the LCB feels spacious in a good way, especially with my rain jacket (in my ever-useful #2 TSS (solar)) for a not-especially-nice but not awful Irish day.
    Last edited by jmoz; 07-23-2014 at 02:12 AM.
    Ilkyway and jess like this.

For the sake of posterity, I thought I'd mention that rolling it and putting it in the bottom of the middle section of the TS proved the most convenient packing method; it took up virtually no space.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0