Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: LCB as PCMB substitute?

The black dyneema all the way. Mine is steel parapack/iberian dyneema and I don't like how the parapack picks up smudges/watermarks. As soon as a new color dyneema comes out. I am going to swap it. But that's jmo

Um I hate to say this but I don't think navy is an available option right now. At least I'm not seeing it

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Um I hate to say this but I don't think navy is an available option right now. At least I'm not seeing it
    Maybe @jmoz just ordered the LCB in Navy? I thought this option was there when I checked a little while ago.

ETA: I might be confusing this with the MCB option of Navy Cordura/Navy
    Last edited by moriond; 07-09-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Actually, I decided to go with the Black dyneema/Solar.

Although navy wasn't listed, I emailed (because I had a shipping question) and the truly-exceptional TB crew (Hannah, to be specific) checked the shelves (or wherever these things are; I'm picture treasure chests full of TB bags, but that's probably not right) and found the Navy/navy. She put it aside while I was deciding. (So anyone who wants a Navy/navy LCB should contact Hannah right away!)

Thanks again, everyone, for your feedback!

Volunteer Moderator
    @jmoz I got a SCB in Black Dyneema/Solar and like this combination. (I think I was taken with this when I posted the picture of the Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack against the Black Dyneema Pilot) I was going to suggest that you call in to check color availability directly, anyway. You could always have them send you both bag and see which you like better in person!

You'll have to post how it works out. I can see you liking the Imago, if something like it turned up again with additional exterior fabric options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    You'll have to post how it works out. I can see you liking the Imago, if something like it turned up again with additional exterior fabric options.
    @kkintea I thought about the Imago, and also about the older (2nd generation) Ristretto for 11" MacBook Air as alternatives, but I think the Cafe Bag in a fabric like Dyneema is closer to @jmoz's requirements. I would actually go with a Medium Cafe Bag (in Nordic/Solar -- since I have this option) over a Large Cafe Bag for the specs he described, but he might like using the Large Cafe Bag more extensively. (I was checking these bags and the attachment points with the cheater D-rings before answering his questions).

@moriond Your thoughts on the MCB vs. LCB were very useful, and I definitely see your point and the advantages of the MCB. The reasons I chose the LCB in the end:

1) Sometimes at conferences, I end up carrying around my bag for many, many hours, and even though it's not all that heavy, the Absolute strap seems like it would be nice.
    2) Every once in a while, I end up wanting to carry more than I expected at a conference (camera? water bottle? jacket? hat?), in which case, the LCB could be useful.
    3) Despite #2, I'm generally pretty disciplined about not carrying more than I need. (For anyone laughing at this because they remember* my bulging, 12.5kg Tri-Star and overstuffed Pilot coming back from Pakistan, that was an exception and was mostly the result of chotchkes, plaques, and other such things which were outside of my control. I swear!)
    4) With the LCB, I might be able to NOT bring the PCBP for leisure time during some conferences. Although I love my PCBP, not having to carry both would be a win.
    5) I think the MBA in Cache will fit horizontally in the LCB, which could be convenient since I have a horizontal Cache for the TS.
    6) The availability of MCB was not so good at the moment, with no Dyneema or Parapack listed on the website. I'm hoping to take this bag to a workshop in Ireland and leaving the end of next week, so waiting wasn't an appealing option.

* I would say no one's memory is that good/detailed, but I'm sure @moriond would prove me wrong, since she seems to remember anything that's ever happened on the forum. That said, I think she'd be too nice to actually laugh aloud.
    kkintea and jess like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    Now, one more question- Navy parapack/navy or black dyneema/solar? Most of my bags are navy/solar, and while I like the navy exterior, I think I prefer the brighter interiors and the contrast. I also wonder if dyneema is going to pack flatter. But then, on the other hand, navy!
    I have the linen with Navy lining. Can I just say how stunning the navy is and I don't think you would regret it 'all over'. I actually bought the Nordic Dyneema/Solar at the same time but only kept the linen one. I wanted to compare the two and found that they both packed very small so I don't think you should worry about that. Pick the colour combo that works best.

On another note, I bought the absolute strap and was also disappointed that I couldn't use the clip on strap from my TriStar or Aeronaut if I used the LCB as my day bag when I got there. However, I actually don't like the absolute strap on the LCB (I never thought I would say that as the absolute strap is on every other bag I own). The reason is that the LCB works best when you can slide it forwards to grab things from it whilst walking. The absolute strap grips so well, it makes it difficult to swing around.

Because of this, I have my absolute strap on my TriStar and my LCB with a separate standard strap attached and I just live with having two straps on the trip. I bit of a compromise but no deal breaker.

Good luck.
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Laundry Stuff Sack (Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

My Black Dyneema/Solar LCB arrived today, and it's beautiful. It also seems like it will work quite well, and takes up very little space as long as I put it behind another packing cube. It's also worth mentioning that the LCB will fold into its back pocket reasonably gracefully.

It's also worth mentioning that the 11" MBA in a Cache fits perfectly horizontally in the bottom of the LCB. Thanks, all, for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    My Black Dyneema/Solar LCB arrived today, and it's beautiful. It also seems like it will work quite well, and takes up very little space as long as I put it behind another packing cube. It's also worth mentioning that the LCB will fold into its back pocket reasonably gracefully.

It's also worth mentioning that the 11" MBA in a Cache fits perfectly horizontally in the bottom of the LCB. Thanks, all, for the advice!
    Would appreciate pictures when you can post them...with your intended uses. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jess likes this.

The bag with the flap open.

An imperfect (but workable) fit in a Tri Star. It's plenty flat, but the size is a bit big. It'll work, though.

Folded in half inside the TS

Opened flap and "rolled."

Folded into its back pocket (like many do with shop bags.)

I didn't take pictures in use because there's not much to see; everything fits very easily.

@jmoz, thanks for the photos. I never know TB has DyneemaS for both lining and exterior, until I see your post.

Sent from 41Lumia via TPTalk
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

@jmoz, thank you as well for the photos. It makes me even more excited to get mine in the next few days.
    A45, LCB, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

al85: I think you'll love this bag, especially with your TS and A45. I was very pleased to see the folding into the back pocket, which I hadn't seen described for the _CB previously.

In hindsight, I agree with moriond that the MCB would be a perfect size for what I want, but I do prefer the detachable strap, so I'm happy with my choice. Once I pack for my trip (~1 week in Ireland with a 3.5 day workshop in Cork and a bit over a day of personal time in Dublin), I'll take some pictures and weigh things out. My plan is to do just the TS (with the LCB tucked inside) if everything will fit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0