Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Must have accessories for Co-Pilot

Must have accessories for Co-Pilot

I'm most likely going to be ordering a Co-Pilot tomorrow. I'm thinking it will serve as my personal item on future trips, but may also be used an EDC between trips as I don't travel all that frequently. What accessories are a must have for the Co-Pilot?

What kind of items do you carry every day and/or when travelling, and are they flat or lumpy?

For example I use a size 1 (extra small) stuff sack for my iPad charger and cable, because UK plugs are quite bulky, but many US folk prefer a flat container such as an organiser pouch. OTOH I've discovered that the medium organiser pouch (single or double) is a perfect size for Moleskine "journals" (the slim, soft-cover versions of their standard notebooks), so I now have two of those for carrying around different projects. I also have a mini or small OP in each of my EDCs for small, easily lost items like pills, hairbands, mini nail-file and so on.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

What scribe said. What accessories you get will be determined by what you have to accessorize. (An aside: "accessorize" is a very weird verb.)

Back when I had a Co-Pilot, I used one small and one mini Organizer Pouch for anything little I was carrying around—lip balm, change that accumulated, hand sanitizer, and so forth. I also agree that the Medium OP is a great size for the CP, and really handy for corralling papers. Size 1 and 2 (xsmall/small) stuff sacks will also fit.

I have been using the newly released Q-Kit to hold my phone charger cord and USB plug-in. Keeps everything contained neatly, and fits well in the front vertical zip pocket or can be dropped into any other pocket - I am using Pilot but I think it would work this way in Co-Pilot as well.

I like to have a SE to hold my wallet/phone/lipstick/hand sanitizer/shoutwipes/keys, and a 311 bag for things like more hand/shoutwipes (I have three kids in tow all the time), food shears And plastic spoon (kids), nail file/polish remover, travel brush, ect. I also knit so a SYSS and usually a mini OP with knitting notions goes with me too. A Cache for my iPad mini goes in there too on flights. It really depends on how you like to organize things.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel • BB • S25 in black dyneema • S19 in black/iberian • LCB in steel parapack/iberian • CP in navy ballistic/solar • Swift in steel dyneema • LS in Aubergine • SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar • TTs • various pouches/key straps/YSSs • iPad mini cache • LSBs, SSBs • PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema • 360mm Quiver •

I’ve purchased some of the Utility Straps for use with small flashlights.

I have found that the standard strap that comes with the CP doesn't cut it in the comfort department when my CP is loaded. I don't use mine as an EDC but a school bag to carry my Ipad mini, folders with papers, notebooks and writing implements. I swapped out the standard strap with an Absolute strap and found it to be dwarfing the bag, an aesthetic overkill. I purchased a smaller strap from Op Tech, the same company that makes the ASS for TB. It is smaller in width, somewhat shorter, better scaled to the bag, and very comfortable. The caveat to the smaller strap is that because I am 5'8" and prefer a longer drop, I had to add a couple of double carabiners to make that happen. Something to keep in mind....
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I purchased a smaller strap from Op Tech
    Looking at the Op Tech website - which strap do you have? Thanks for the tip!

The mini SOS Strap.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    The mini SOS Strap.
    I use the mini as well. :-)
    eWalker likes this.

I find the #1 stuff sack fits well in various spots and can hold most anything (mine holds protein bars and nuts), and my other one holds a pashmina style wrap. I find the 3D organizer cubes a better fit in the CP than the Side Effect. My SE fits in a front pocket, but it is tight enough that it isn't "easy". I use a wallet (US travel) or double organizer pouch (international travel, extra pocket for passports) for cards and cash. I have a pencil sized organizer pouch for long things - thermometer, toothbrush, comb, etc. (where I also stash bandaids). My cables (including laptop stuff and adaptors) go in a #2 stuff sack. (I use a travel tray in my Pilot for this, but again, harder to fit in the CP).

But concur with folks above, it really depends on what you are storing...

Oh, and I carry mine with the regular absolute strap. It may be overkill, but it is comfortable overkill....
    eWalker likes this.

@ChaosLib

I just received my CP 2 days ago and have only used it for 2 full days.

Take it from me, Must haves:

1. at least 1 or 2 extra keystraps. Length is your choice. I use 2 short TB keystraps and they work fine for me.
    2. at least 1 3D organiser cube/ organiser pouch for use in the front pockets.

The front pockets are deceptively spacious so small items will disappear in them. You definitely need a pouch to hold them all in one place for easy retrieval. Keystraps are the natural complement to an organiser pouch.

Stupid me did not get any organiser pouches or extra keystraps at all when I got the bag (I cannabalised one extra keystrap from my Ego). I immediately regretted the moment I started transferring my stuff from my old bag to the CP.

I wanted to buy more pouches after my regret but shipping is an expensive flat fee to my country regardless of size of item. So I opted to get an organiser pouch from Deuter which is available in stores in my country.

I got the Deuter Zip Lite 0.5L (extra pair of contact lens, eye drops, lighter, various cards, a CardSharp - you should google and check this out, it's really cool!) for the left front pocket (the one without the pen slots) and a Deuter Wash Bag Lite (Wet wipes, bottle of cologne) for the one of pockets in the main compartment. I place my Ipad Mini in the other pocket. It's a perfect fit for a Mini! For the other front pocket, I keep a pen, and leave the rest of the space empty for my 2 cellphones and earbuds. My cellphones alternate between my pants pocket and the bag so I keep it less cluttered to make it easier to just drop my 2 phones in there.

Did I mention, the pen slots are a perfect size for a stick of Mentos! There are 4 pen slots but I don't need to carry that many pens, but I always buy candy for my bag. So it's brilliant!

So take it from me, at least 1 organiser cube or pouch for the front pocket. I don't want you to go through the same regret as me.

Btw @ChaosLib, what colour CP are you getting?

I really wanted the black dyneema but it was out of stock and TBAS got the better of me so I went for the Black/Solar instead. I chose the Black/ Solar because Solar is retiring. Best to snap up as many Solar before it runs out. But if you can wait, I will say Black Dyneema is worth waiting. The softer (but no less tougher) dyneema fabric will lend slightly more space in the CP. If you like the feeling of a softer, more pliable bag, dyneema will be better. But the 1050d ballistic nylon feels like it's built to last. It's so sturdy.
    RhoFro likes this.

@Monkeylady and Trailhiker - thank you for the excellent recommendation of the mini SOS strap, as I have found the Absolute strap to be a bit big for me. I do not have the height advantage you all do and ended up adjusting the Absolute to its shortest setting, and given the stretchy nature, it still felt a bit large. Do you think that the mini SOS would bear the heavier weight of a bag like an A30, realizing the hypothetical nature of the question...should some people be unable to resist that A30 temptation. Thanks for any thoughts you may have, and thank you to you and the other forum members for your generosity in sharing information and being such a welcoming online community!
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-10-2014 at 08:01 AM.

The OP TECH product page indicates that the mini SOS can handle a 25 lb. load. Its big sister, or the ASS, can handle 30 lbs. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast