Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Lead's Pocket: Annex Clip at Brain Cell (Vertical) Size 1 or (Horizontal) M2

Lead's Pocket: Annex Clip at Brain Cell (Vertical) Size 1 or (Horizontal) M2

Hello,

I felt the Pocket of Brain Cell is very limited as it could hardly able to slide-in with ease of my "fat" Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt mouse, as well as my big 180W Power Adapter for my Dell Mobile Workstation.
    Can a Lead's Pocket be clipped via Annex Clip to a Brain Cell (V) of Size 1?
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Hello,

I felt the Pocket of Brain Cell is very limited as it could hardly able to slide-in with ease of my "fat" Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt mouse, as well as my big 180W Power Adapter for my Dell Mobile Workstation.
    Can a Lead's Pocket be clipped via Annex Clip to a Brain Cell (V) of Size 1?
    Yes, this is a clever idea and should work. All the Annex Clip spacings for the Lead's Pocket and the Brain Cells are standard. you should be able to use two of the set of four Annex Clios that come with the Lead's Pocket to clip it to your Brain Cell. A mouse could go into one of the split mesh pockets, and a power brick could go into the zippered pocket on the other side of the pouch. You could also use the internal webbing loops to organize some of your cables. The only thing I'm not sure of is the fit of the items you mentioned for the webbing pocket and zippered pocket given the dimensions I read for the Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Mouse (5.5" x 5.5" x 2.9"), and I know the Dell power bricks can be thick. If there are any forum members with the Lead's Pocket who are familiar with this Mouse, maybe they can check the pocket fit for you. However, this is a clever way to get additional space for carrying accessories attached to your Brain Cell.

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    I tried out the Lead's Pocket with a 170 -watt power brick for the Lenovo ThinkPad W520 and a small Lenovo Optical Mouse, and I think this will be tight for the items you want to use. Here are a few pictures:

Lead's Pocket w/ Lenovo 170W AC Adapter and power cords on left, Lenovo ThinkPlus Optical 3-button Travel Wheel Mouse on right
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404854249.464595.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  140.5 KB

170W AC Power Adapter and cables, and Optical Travel Mouse zipped into pockets
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404854355.883272.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  155.3 KB

Side View of zipped up Lead's Pocket holding AC Power Adapter and Travel Mouse
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404854447.476305.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  83.7 KB

This was a tight fit, although doable, and you can see the back of the Lead's Pocket with Annex Clip is curved. I couldn't find any dimensions for the Dell Power Brick you have. Here are the dimensions for the items I packed:

Lenovo 170W AC Adapter
    Dimensions & Weight
    Depth: 7.2 in
    Height: 1.4 in
    Weight: 24.3 oz
    Width: 3.1 in

Lenovo ThinkPlus Optical 3-Button Travel Wheel Mouse
    Dimensions & Weight
    Depth: 3.7 in
    Height: 1.3 in
    Weight: 3.2 oz
    Width: 2.1 in

Your Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse is larger (2.2 in vs 1.3 in), and would be harder to fit in if your power brick is of similar size
    Dimensions & Weight
    Depth: 3.9 in
    Height: 2.2 in
    Weight: 5.5 oz
    Width: 2.9 in

HTH. These were the closest size items I had easily to hand. Maybe other forum users can give better information for your Dell laptop configuration.

moriond Sorry that all the dimensions are in inches, but I copied and pasted from a web site that didn't give metric alternatives. My own ThinkPads still use the older (and much smaller) AC adapters.
    Last edited by moriond; 07-08-2014 at 03:58 PM.

@weirdguy

Yes, the Lead's Pocket fits perfectly onto my Vertical Brain Cells Size 1, Size 4z and 2S. This is how I use it sometimes when I want to go minimalist. It will fit your power brick but will bulge. Note that it will be top heavy.

I do not know about the Horizontal Brain Cells but the Annex Clip loops are 9.5" apart on my Lead's Pocket. If the Horizontal Brain Cell can accommodate that width, you are good to go.

However, if it is more space for things you are looking for, might I suggest using a Smart Alec Lower Module Pocket instead ....

Size 2S Vertical Brain Cell (Size 1 looks the same - just a bit taller and less wide) and Smart Alec Lower Modular Pocket in Black Ballistic
    Name:  VBC_Formal2 - 1024.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  545.5 KB

This is how I carry my laptop and stuff usually. The Lower Pocket will definitely have room for your Power Brick and the Ballistic Nylon really looks nice.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-08-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

@Moriond, @tpnl

Thanks you all for your kindness and all the way to help me in my question.
    I really appreciate your comments and those amazingly helpful photos.

I believe @tpnl's suggestion with Smart Alec Lower Module fits my requirement as my Laptop Main Accessories is bulkier in dimension/size.
    Name:  M4600 Main Accs.png
Views: 281
Size:  726.4 KB
    I took a closeup photo of my Mouse, Power Brick and Battery. I think the Lower Module shouldn't have any problem - swallowing these 3 Main Accessories for my Laptop.
    At the same time, the Price against Volume (Litre) - Lower Module of just $40, worth my requirement.

Again, thanks you very much.
    I will add Lower Module in my Wishlist. Hopefully, Cardinal/Iberian Red/Solar will make a comeback till then.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    @weirdguy I agree that @tpnl's Smart Alec Lower Module Pocket solution will work best for you. The Smart Alec LMP comes with 6 1" Double Gatekeeper clips already attached to the webbing loops, although only the clips in the top webbing loops on each side are being used to hook into the Brain Cell webbing. I'm assuming the lower two pairs of Double Gatekeeper clips on each side may just be folded back against the back of the Lower Module Pocket, but they might also be removed. You can see more details about this pocket in the Upper Modular Pocket as a "Side Effect" thread @Ilkyway started where @NWhikergal posted pictures of the Lower modular pocket open and separately carried (posts on 06-18-2014). The open pocket shows the top of a rectangular pocket in Steel Dyneema that goes down to the bottom of the pocket. You can also see that the back rectangular panel behind that pocket, which is the part in contact with the Smart Alec (or with the Brain Cell in @tpnl's pictures), is a different material -- 1000d black Cordura. (This is something you can note because the rest of NWhikergal's LMP is Aubergine Ballistic nylon -- it's not something I knew until the back ordered LMP that I got a year after my Smart Alec arrived last month). You can also see the left one of the two O-rings that are on either side of the black rectangular Cordura backing, extending above the Steel Dyneema pocket sides, just below the top edge zipper for the open pocket. The later pictures of NWhikergal wearing the LMP on a strap shows the attached 1" Double Gatekeeper clips on the lower webbing loops.

@tpnl might want to comment about which extra accessory parts he found useful to get. If you remove the lower Double Gatekeeper clips I think you could replace them with similar pairs where you cut a diagonal slot through one of the plastic sides to hook them back onto the webbing, but I don't think it's easy to neatly cut through the plastic of the clips that are already mounted on the webbing loops. (Extra pairs of these Double gatekeeper clips may be purchased from Parts accessories for $1 a pair if you need them at a later date.) I found Doubke carabiners to be such useful general attachment clips for pouches and other accessories that I bought 5 more of these at $1 each after the first one I got, for use in converting Side Effects or Packing Cube Shoulder Bags into airplane seat bags, and many other purposes.

Cardinal ballistic nylon has been discontinued for a while, so the Cardinal (red) lower module pocket options vanished several months ago, and there's currently no evidence that we'll be getting a replacement red Ballistic Nylon option any time soon. Iberian Dyneema should be back in Stock for accessories shortly. If you see a product in Solar that you really want, like the Pilot personal Carryon bags in the Navy/Solar version that just got re-issued less than 24 hours ago, grab it now, before it sells out.

HTH moriond

@moriond and @weirdguy

For the Lower Modular Pocket, I did not remove the lower 4 Double Gatekeeper clips that came with the pocket. As @moriond said, I folded them back behind the bag. I also tied the unused Double Gatekeeper clips to its matching clip on the opposite side with some Strapeez velcro so the clips did not flap around. You essentially get 2 straps made of velcro at the back of the Pocket that you can slide something long and narrow through (e.g. a newspaper - but watch out as it could fall out the bottom). This makes things tidy back there.

You may laugh, but my main use for the Lower Modular Pocket is actually as a vertical, thin lunch bag. Again, I used @Ilkyway's trick of putting an O-rings (or anything round like an O-Ring) though each of the top Double Gatekeeper clips. I then attach an 8" keystrap to each O-Ring - Voila! - a handle for my very thin but volumous lunch bag. You do not have to use the O-Rings but I find it easier to hook and unhook the Key Strap. You could also use a small shoulder strap like the simple shoulder strap that way. See the pictures @Ilkyway and @NWhikergal posted of this:

Upper Modular Pocket as a "Side Effect"

Perhaps an Upper Modular Pocket may work for you too attached to the Brain Cell. Unfortunately I do not have the Upper Pocket (my Smart Alec is an older version and I cannot use it anyways)

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

@tpnl & @moriond,

Though, you two had introduced the versatile of Smart Alec's Accessories - Lower and Upper Module.
    I haven't really deeply thought in the past that I would find Smart Alec a recommended choice for my Backpack's need.

After glancing through Flickr's endless stream of Smart Alec's photo, I find Smart Alec is a beautiful bag which have been overlook by many - comparing to Synapse, Brain Bag. I understand each designed to be carried differently, loaded differently and organized differently. Smart Alec is really beautiful with Solar Lining - a shinny and youthful interior, shinning its "light" against the outside world. Lol

I think for the mean time - I am getting a Lower Module in Black Dyeema. What do you guys think? Ballistic or Dyneema?
    Black Dyneema may bring some uniqness to my blacky Bain Cell when carrying.
    eWalker likes this.
    Solar: A45 Navy, CP Steeld, SA Black, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel: Pilot Steel 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    Olive: SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BC V S1, H M2, PCSB Nordic, TT Iberian, Risretto Cocoa/Cayenne

Buy List Wouldn't mind : Solar Like New
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

I think the Black Dyneema would look great. The only concern would be if it would keep its shape when partially filled given that on the Brain Cell, only the top 2 gatekeeper clips are being used. I was actually thinking of getting a 400D Black Dyneema PCSB to hook to the back of the Brain Cell - but they were all sold out by the time I looked

Not sure if anyone has a Black Dyneema SA Lower Module Pocket and can partially fill it and then hold it from the top 2 gatekeeper clips to see how the shape stays?

Cheers!
    eWalker likes this.

I thought of that issue too.
    I will give it a try though. Hopefully, it wont be that bad. Anyway, since the Module is a Dyneema 400d - a more flexible material, it could be used as a pouch as well.

What a coincidence.
    I just manage to scoop up the last Nordic PCSB 400d through a TB Member hints. If I am not wrong, they still have a Steel Dyneema. They didn't say much about other color. I believe they are trying to be discreet. My assumption.
    Sent from 41Lumia via TPTalk
    eWalker likes this.

@tpnl,

I found interesting photos of Dyneema Smart Alec and also its Dyneema Module.
    Links: Smart Alec + Top/Bottom Modular Pockets all in Steel Dyneema

I had check the Topic Starter's Profile. He have not access TB's Forum for quite a long while. Had tried to PM him. Hopefully, he will reply here.
    tpnl and eWalker like this.

@tpnl, is there any O-Ring inside the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pocket?
    I have tried to search few photos but does not have any luck with very clear photo. I did realize that there is a pocket. Can I assume a SE could fit the pocket well?

Thanks in advance.

@weirdguy

There are in fact 2 O-Rings in the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pocket. They are about 2 inches above the small inside pocket and are attached to the "cap" of the LMP. Here are 2 pic:

Name:  SA_LMP1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  429.3 KBName:  SA_LMP2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  427.8 KB

In the bottom photo, I have turned the LMP cap inside out so you can get a better look at how it is attached.

I do not have an SE yet (just got convinced by the HUGE number of posts on the SE and how great it is - plus I love Ballistic Nylon) so I can let you know for sure when I get it (maybe @Ilkyway or @moriond perhaps can help as I believe they have both). But, IMHO, from the dimensions, it should fit easily - but it may take up most of the space if it is full with not much room for anything else (just long thin items perhaps). BTW - when I get my SE (going through major TB anticipation syndrome), I am going to use my SE with 2 double carabiners attached "piggyback" style to my Brain Cell shoulder strap attachment points (slipped 2 1"single gatekeeper clips onto the bottom part where there is a open webbing loop and clipped the carabiners there).

Hope this Helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-03-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Lead's Pocket: Annex Clip at Brain Cell (Vertical) Size 1 or (Horizontal) M2

I don't have a ballistic SE, but you can fit a foldable umbrella comfortably into the LMP even when there's a fully packed dyneema SE inside... (And note the leftover space! Could easily fit another umbrella there, heh)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407083617.028430.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  322.2 KB
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Thanks @tpnl, @adalangdon, your photos and reviews are very helpful.

SE. I love the its pocketed compartment and its lining but have no plan to get one yet - though the Navy/Solar option is attractive. Not sure it is a Cordura or Ballistic Navy.

Thanks again. Now I could really see how accommodative the LMP is.
    Sent from 41Lumia via TPTalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast