Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Lead's Pocket: Annex Clip at Brain Cell (Vertical) Size 1 or (Horizontal) M2

@weirdguy

I believe that the SE is made only in either Ballistic Nylon or Dyneema these days. The Navy/Solar option is Navy 1050d HT Ballistic Nylon and Solar 200d Dyneema.
    Note that Solar is being retired so think now about getting things ... see the SOLD thread!

Cheer!
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Thanks @tpnl, @adalangdon, your photos and reviews are very helpful.

SE. I love the its pocketed compartment and its lining but have no plan to get one yet - though the Navy/Solar option is attractive. Not sure it is a Cordura or Ballistic Navy.

Thanks again. Now I could really see how accommodative the LMP is.
    @weirdguy The photos @tpnl took of the Smart Alec Lower Module Pocket saved me from having to take pictures showing the O-rings, but to answer your question about relative sizes compared to the Side Effect, you can take a look at my post near the end of the Small light Bluetooth speakers thread. I answered @Ilkyway's question about the size of a FoxL Bluetooth speaker compared to a Side Effect by showing pictures of that speaker both compared to a Side Effect and also in the top lid of the SA LMP. You'll be able to see both accessories in the second picture, although it cuts off just before the bottom of the LMP. In another to your question, I can fit two Side Effects into the LMP, if they're not completely stuffed (especially using the 400d Dyneema or Parapack SEs you can flexibly expand the sides more easily).
    (These are the images from my post; You can read the discussion in the link, which also mentions size references, but is mainly about Bluettoth performance)

The top of the SE will lie slightly above the zipper (again, by how much depends on which kind of material you have and how you have filled the SE, since Ballistic Nylon will hold more of a fixed shape, while the 400d Dyneema and Parapack can more flexibly reshape to your contents), but let's say by about half an inch or so (1-1.5 cm). Another reference is that the length of the pocket below the zipper is about the height of an iPad Mini (and for reference, I carry an iPad Mini in a case in my SE -- this works in my 400d Dyneema SE, it would sort of work, but not as well in terms of fit and accommodating other items, in a Parapack SE, now that I've tried one, and would not work at all in a Ballistic Nylon SE)

The Dyneema pocket is stitched, so it does not extend all the way to the bottom of the pouch. (If it weren't stitched at the bottom, items would fall down a long and narrow pocket and be difficult to retrieve. As it is, it will easily hold a Passport, or a colored or black Moleskin Volant Pocket Notebook that is 3.5 x 5.5 in / 9 x 14 cm. (Note that the first link to the colored Volant series Moleskin notebooks defaults to the extra small size that will fit into a Mini pouch -- you have to change the size selection to "pocket" for the ones that fit this pocket). As another size guideline, if you rotated the Storm Pen/Pencil Pouch at the top of that picture by 90, a little more than half that length(maybe 60%) would fill the pouch to where the zipper lies.

Some other items that fit in the pocket besides a passport and a Moleskin Pocket Notebook: my iPhone, mini organizer pouches and clear organizer wallets, and a Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch (I use this to hold my laptop VGA and USB or Mini DVI to Ethernet Connectors, etc.; if carried in a Side Effect I use this for spoons, forks, etc. -- too short for chopsticks). The Size 2 Knitting Toolkit Pouch sticks up into the lid, but since there's 2" of room above the zipper, it will fit.

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-03-2014 at 11:49 AM.

@tpnl at first I noticed your missing Avatar. I had it looked up when I first saw it (some time ago now) and found a cute little tin with that on it. And now I see you are Volunteer Moderator. Did I miss this before or are congratulations in order?

Ilkyway

Again, I am very grateful for @moriond, @llkyway, @tpnl assistance to clarify all these small and details information.
    If I have the opportunity to meet any of you, I will bring you guys for lunch or light-meal. Not jk, dead serious.

After reading through all your info, photos and many my-own thoughts, I found that the volume of the SA's LMP is quite small.
    The reason I said "small" is (read below).

I intend to store my heavy and bulky 180w Power Adapter Cord, Travel Tray, 32oz Water Bottle (Sleeved up with Tall Yarn Stuff Sack), and probably in the near future - a 8" Windows Device. Hence, I'm not sure whether all these could fit well in a LMP. Also, I don't have a SA now and I don't think I will be getting one that quick unless TB surprised us with Black/Black/Solar. Hence, for my past inquiry of LMP, I intend to use to hook to my Vertical Brain Cell for more organized space.

I'm thinking, after doing some comparison and also the help of @itsablur "Excel Chart", I found Small Cafe Bag has 70% (2.5L) more space than LMP. While, SCB cost 50% more than LMP.
    Small Cafe Bag 10.6" x 8.2" x 2.9"*
    Smart Alec Lower Module 10.8" x 6.7" x 3"

Would there be any difficulty attaching SCB to the Vertical Brain Cell?
    From the stated dimension, it seems should be almost similar.

UPDATE: My Bad. It seems like SCB does not any clip-able/attachable point.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-03-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    @tpnl at first I noticed your missing Avatar. I had it looked up when I first saw it (some time ago now) and found a cute little tin with that on it. And now I see you are Volunteer Moderator. Did I miss this before or are congratulations in order?

Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway

You are correct! I was honored to be considered to be new volunteer moderator by the other moderators - a great privilege that I accepted! Somehow in the change, I seem to have lost my avatar. Good eye Ilkyway! I am always impressed with your powers of observation and your caring - I really liked your note to ewalker!

I think I have things fixed with my avatar. I am excited to be in my new role and I hope I can live up to the excellent example the other moderators have done!

Cheer!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-04-2014 at 02:20 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

tpnl: That is great news! And there your Avatar is back. You are a great addition to the moderator-crew. I ofthen thought how informativ in word, picture and link your posts are so you did the job before you got the job ;-)

Sorry weirdguy for intruding here.
    tpnl and itsablur like this.

No worry @llkyway.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Again, I am very grateful for @moriond, @llkyway, @tpnl assistance to clarify all these small and details information.
    If I have the opportunity to meet any of you, I will bring you guys for lunch or light-meal. Not jk, dead serious.

After reading through all your info, photos and many my-own thoughts, I found that the volume of the SA's LMP is quite small.
    The reason I said "small" is (read below).

I intend to store my heavy and bulky 180w Power Adapter Cord, Travel Tray, 32oz Water Bottle (Sleeved up with Tall Yarn Stuff Sack), and probably in the near future - a 8" Windows Device. Hence, I'm not sure whether all these could fit well in a LMP. Also, I don't have a SA now and I don't think I will be getting one that quick unless TB surprised us with Black/Black/Solar. Hence, for my past inquiry of LMP, I intend to use to hook to my Vertical Brain Cell for more organized space.

I'm thinking, after doing some comparison and also the help of @itsablur "Excel Chart", I found Small Cafe Bag has 70% (2.5L) more space than LMP. While, SCB cost 50% more than LMP.
    Small Cafe Bag 10.6" x 8.2" x 2.9"*
    Smart Alec Lower Module 10.8" x 6.7" x 3"

Would there be any difficulty attaching SCB to the Vertical Brain Cell?
    From the stated dimension, it seems should be almost similar.

UPDATE: My Bad. It seems like SCB does not any clip-able/attachable point.
    Thanks for the offer for lunch if we ever meet! I am sure we can create a new TB meet-up fest type!

I had a few thoughts on your post:

I think the LMP will fit your 32oz water bottle, travel tray stuff (not sure how big) and 180w power supply (6"x3"x1.2" dimensions right?). For your 8" tablet - would it fit in the large mesh elastic pocket on the other side of the Brain Cell? My 4Z, 1 and 2S all can fit an iPad Mini with ease with room to spare. Would that fit your needs?

If not that, perhaps a Packing Cube shoulder bag attached to the Shoulder strap attachments? - 4.5L of additional space on top to the 3.5L for the LMP
    Perhaps a Lead's Pocket in combination with your LMP? - 2.7L of space and is padded (may fit your 8" windows device and keep it protected)?

Also, perhaps hang your 32oz water bottle via a Sealline water bottle pocket on the Annex Clip loops and clear up space in you LMP for your tablet / Power Brick.

See my "tricked out" Brain Cell on Steroids ...

Name:  VBC_EDC1 - 1024.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  500.4 KB

BTW - thanks to @bchaplin for her post on adding a light to her Synapse 19 for safety while walking at night. It inspired me to add the Guardian lite to my Brain Cell.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    See my "tricked out" Brain Cell on Steroids ...

Name:  VBC_EDC1 - 1024.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  500.4 KB
    That's quite the Frankenbag. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you on the mean streets of Toronto at night...

What is the mesh pouch on the right holding your beverage?
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

@tpnl, great combination. Really like the Red Eye. Lol.

I received my order yesterday night and been trying to find some times to snap some great photos and upload up here. For now, below.
    Name:  Nordic and Steel Dyneema.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  282.8 KB
    From Left to Right: Nordic PCSB (Yeah!) attached to my V-BC using TB's Double Carabiner, UMP (Steel Dyneema, Luving it), Pilot in Steel Dyneema/Steel

Initially, I intended to get LMB, just like in @tpnl's photo. However, I hesitated as I am trying to find more multi-purpose usage, rather than solely use to hold my Power Bricks and Laptop Accessories. Perhaps, next time for the LMB.

Beside holding my normal Laptop Accessories in my Nordic PCSB, I will be converting it during weekend, as my light hiking gear - primarily cross-body carrying - to hold my 1.5L Water Bottle (for 2 person and the weather here is all year hot - average 30C/85F) and the Upper Modular Pocket (UMP - my Mobile, Power Bank, Keys, Aid Kit). I also understand that LMB could also work this way by attaching Shoulder Strap but I am skeptical about its comfortable level.

More photos will be shared, once I have compiled more over the weeks.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-12-2014 at 08:33 AM.

@itsablur - to answer your question - the water bottle holder is made by Sealline and you should be able to get this at MEC / Europe Bound where I got it. What I like about it is that it can be attached using both horizontal and vertical oriented attachment loops and you can clip a carabiner if you wanted.

@weirdguy - congrats on the purchases - looks great. I like your use of the UMP to hold things and using the PCSB cross-body. I may do this for day trips. Nice Pilot. If it fits my 15.6" PC, I may get one too. BTW, what is that UV thing peeking out there?

Concerning the LMP - if you need ideas for uses (... excuses?), I use it as a slim lunch bag (not insulated - but can add cool packs) that fits into slim bags or on its own and I could use it to hold camera lenses and other equipment. I just got a small TB 5/8" shoulder strap for it so I have a shoulder carry option.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-12-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    @weirdguy - congrats on the purchases - looks great. I like your use of the UMP to hold things and using the PCSB cross-body. I may do this for day trips. Nice Pilot. If it fits my 15.6" PC, I may get one too. BTW, what is that UV thing peeking out there?

Concerning the LMP - if you need ideas for uses (... excuses?), I use it as a slim lunch bag (not insulated - but can add cool packs) that fits into slim bags or on its own and I could use it to hold camera lenses and other equipment. I just got a small TB 5/8" shoulder strap for it so I have a shoulder carry option.

Cheers!
    @tpnl I was also going to congratulate and ask @weirdguy how he likes his new Nordic PCSB and his impressions on the 400d Dyneema colors (now that he has seen them in person after reading all the various descriptive posts!), but I thought I would give him time to assemble his thoughts. That's a UV Dyneema keystrap showing up to the bottom left of the Steel 400d Dyneema Smart Alec Upper Modular Pocket. (I would have said it was the 16" length, but they just recently brought out 8" Dyneema keystraps (in Ultraviolet and Wasabi) now that the Olive Cordura 8" keystrap option has disappeared, so he might have sneaked in an 8" UV Dyneema keystrap into his order. (I know he missed the 8" Wasabi keystrap, which came out just after his order shipped, according to his posts).

Do you find the TB 5/8" shoulder strap a bit thin for the LMP? I find that I like to use a 1" wide strap that came with the now retired Breve for my Side Effects, PCSBs, and other bags. See my post (#35) and its links in the New side effect color pairings thread.

moriond

Great idea @moriond. I did find the 5/8" strap a bit thin. Now I need to find a 1" strap. I have a 1 1/4" one which is not bad and a 3/4" one which is a bit small. Perhaps I will try something with a waist strap which is 1" or check the local outdoors store for something or just make something myself. I have a new project now ...

Thanks again

Cheers!
    tpnl

@tpnl - Thanks. I just self-made a video about my 15.6" fit in the Pilot. Naked.
    I think you probably know where it is, hence I am not linking up here. hehe.

As for UV Lining, it is a Keystrap which I just ordered as well.
    I combined UV Keystrap and Black Keystrap. All 16", and used it as a shoulder strap for my daily cross-body carrying UMP. I carried it non-stop from 9am to 6pm. Maybe not non-stop, with 1 hour rest in between.

@moriond, I find the Keystrap as a Cross-Body strap for my UMP great. For comparison sake, I had also try with other strap like Standard Strap (without any sort of padding) and even, Waist Strap (from my A45). I still prefer the thin Keystrap.

I don't work in Office and don't wear tie or formal wear. I work as Sales - sometimes indoor, outdoor or on the round. I normally wear Polo/Shirts (with short sleeve or folded long sleeve). Carrying my UMP cross-body non-stop doesn't look akward for me.

@moriond, thanks for asking.
    I really like the Nodric - it looks calm especially under the shade. It kinda remind me of my blanket when I was small. Lol. Blue background and square everywhere, with some bits of cartoons.

Yeah, I missed the Wasabi 16". They have UV in 8"?
    Sigh. Nevermind. Let's hope they would come back next year.

----

I'd added a photo to show how my earlier tweak to attached PCSB to VBC with Double Carabiner.
    Name:  Double Carabiner.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  276.7 KB
    Note: The attached Shoulder Strap is a non-TB Shoulder Strap that I salvaged from my Wife's Old Acer Laptop Bag. It is a non-paded Shoulder Strap.

Most of the time during transit to work or home, I will place the attached Vertical Brain Cell to my backpack and carried the Backpack.
    If at home or work (work-premise), I just carry the attached Vertical Brain Cell with the Shoulder Strap.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-12-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added Photo
    moriond and tpnl like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2