Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Aeronaut 30/45 or Tristar

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    212
    Thanks for the pics of the dyneema tri-star Badger! Now if the dyneema thread could be stained green, it'd be a cool matrix looking bag, heh.

  2. #17
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    When I purchased this, I had hoped it would fit in the TB pencil case. But, alas, no. It fits snugly in a packing cube and freely in the Clear Quarter Cube. It is available from Amazon. It is by no means tiny, but its shape is much more travel friendly packing wise.
    Thank you! Bummer it doesn't fit in the pencil case, but it is way way smaller than the contraption I use at home.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    JLE
    JLE is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Attachment 7044 When I purchased this, I had hoped it would fit in the TB pencil case. But, alas, no. It fits snugly in a packing cube and freely in the Clear Quarter Cube. It is available from Amazon. It is by no means tiny, but its shape is much more travel friendly packing wise.
    Is that fitting on the end removable? Could you attach it to a smaller syringe?

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    20
    if I recall it was jet2 they had some of the strictest but I have never gone ryan air

  5. #20
    Registered User k.observes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    7

    Smile Thank yall so much!!!

    I was waiting with anticipation to see when I would get a response. I guess I forgot to turn the settings to have my email notify me. I appreciate the guidance so much- thanks! Reading through the responses; first, I am acutely aware I did not pick a fun enough name. Secondly, I will be packing less items for clothing. For reference, I will be flying United both ways. I think they're regular check-in rules, but if anyone has had experience, let me know. I excuse the length of this message. I started to reply to each quote, but it was not efficient.

    Bchaplin- The ease of packing and comfort-ability seem to lean more towards to Aeuronaut. I won't be carrying a full computer, but a thinner tablet and I might even put that into my messenger/purse just as you suggested so the extra spot really isn't a big deal.

    Really good point Rocks- I guess it is inevitable that I will buy things. I would like the extra room so that does make the Aeronaut a better choice. Actually, that was a question of mine- I read the Aeronaut is sort of slumpy when it's not at full capacity. Is this an issue anyone has had in particular? Or is it just complaining to complain?

    Regarding my toiletries and makeup bag... Not so large/bulky. I am trying to figure out how to relate their sizes, but I would say two relatively smaller travel bags. I'm realizing I might be a little more high maintenance than I'd like to admit, but that accounts for the curling iron

    I didn't realize I could return one. I read somewhere on the forum that someone was stuck with a bag... So of course I didn't bother to look at the return policy. That would be too easy. I think buying both and trying them out is a grand idea.

    Great real-life experience sdophoto- I was worried about the flight check-in. I really don't want to have an issue. My girlfriend can pick up my slack if I run out of room so I will more than likely use her as my life line. She is dead set on the Tortuga (if anyone has seen that). It has been sold out and she is keeping watch like a creeper.

    Thank you so much Badger for the images! You are awesome!!! It is almost my exact list. I guess I can use the one less skirt or so . I was worried the TriStar would be too heavy on my back as you describe. Yours is so cute, though (I know, wrong reason to decide). Was it difficult to carry and deal with it being so heavy? If you were able to exchange it for the A-30, would you? Or would you still but the Tri-Star?

    And thank you for the passed along rule of 3. Genius. I will do that for sure. I'm going to try for lighter clothing, but my partner is literally next to me looking at thin travel wears and I'm not impressed... I don't want to look like we both stepped out of REI. I am from Austin and gay so it wouldn't be abnormal, but I am trying to avoid Auntie Em- agreed and will do re: wearing clothes multiple days. I was more concerned with being able to wash them enough. But, I'm not staying in hostels so it shouldn't be too difficult. I've never been to Europe so I'm going blind with my understanding. I it easy to wash every other night? If not- commando never hurt anyone.

    JLE- Great advice. I was thinking travel scarf, but a Pashmina is way smarter. Plus, I have always wanted a Pashmina. (If only to tell people I have a Pashmina). I will get a travel curling iron- didn't even know they existed- thanks. Earbuds I have- so I will see if I can swap out. I just look so much cooler with my headphones .

    mokeylady- Rick Steves' site has been awesome, but I didn't see that packing list at first. Very helpful. Might be a little too many items after reading everyone's advice, but I didn't think about having to bring a clothesline or wash cloth and quite a few more. Doesn't he also have a bag?

    I think my final two products are the Tri-Star and the A-30. I must admit I feel like the only reason I would get the Tri-Star is because I like the look of it more, which is a ridiculous reason to buy. I hate the Aeronaut looks like a big duffel. But, I am pretty OCD and organized, so I love the ability to organize the A-30 to my liking. I think I will buy both, if they're available, and go from there. I read that if you use an Airline shopping bag (from a store inside the airport)- you can stuff it with whatever you want and they have to let you on the plane with it. If I end up with too much I guess that wouldn't be the worst thing? Unless this theory has been debunked.

    Since everyone is so smart on traveling and I'm completely new here- are there any other items yall would suggest? I have ample room in my bag now that I'm taking so many things out I read a travel towel? A robe'ish type of thing? Not sure I have room...

    Again- thank yall all. I am super excited to just pack. Is that weird???
    Ilkyway likes this.

  6. #21
    Registered User k.observes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    7
    Oh my goodness. This. is. awesome. Thank you so much! I've needed this for years. You're the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Attachment 7044 When I purchased this, I had hoped it would fit in the TB pencil case. But, alas, no. It fits snugly in a packing cube and freely in the Clear Quarter Cube. It is available from Amazon. It is by no means tiny, but its shape is much more travel friendly packing wise.

  7. #22
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,539
    @k.observes I started to post a reply, but then felt @badger had covered things pretty thoroughly in her posts. I traveled with the Aeronaut (dating from the first production batch), and then switched to the Tri-Star, which I currently use, and now have an Aeronaut 30 on order. My guess was that the A30 might work for you. The situation in which the Tri-Star really wins is when you want easy access to the middle compartment while traveling. This can be for storing a laptop, because you can stow it with more protection either in a Cache with rails or within another Carryon bag, such as the Pilot, or the Cadet, which you pull out to split the load. Your use of middle compartment access need not be for a laptop. (I like to carry a Little Swift and drop it into the center compartment). The trade-off for the extra organization is the empty Tri-Star weighs more than an empty Aeronaut.

    I'm 2 inches shorter than you, and I don't usually carry shoes (or at most 1 pair, and these are size 6 or 5 1/2 U.S. size). If larger or bulkier shoes are a factor, then the Aeronaut design is better, because you can use the end pockets to store shoes. If your hair drier is bulky, or odd-shaped, that also works better in the Aeronaut design, because anything can be made to fit more easily into a single, large compartment. I don't have problems with the weight or size of either of these bags (even in Ballistic Nylon), but I personally find the Aeronaut 45 a bit large for my usage. Both these bags fit well into overhead storage. The A45 is 3" longer, so it can fit under seats if you under pack the side compartments so you can scrunch the bag further under.
    Here's a post picturing how the Tri-Star with accompanying Co-Pilot can look fit under the seat in front, in the case where there is no A/V box:
    Name:  UntitledImage2_1.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  385.4 KB
    A forum member posted this picture as part of a reply to someone asking whether a Tri-Star could fit under the seats of Southwest. I can fit a Tri-Star under the seat in front of me in the window seats of interisland carriers like Hawaii Airlines, where the available space is only 60% as wide, but in practice I would place this overhead. With an A 45, the filled end pockets stick out. Although I can under pack and push this further in, I'd have to give up the space in the only easy-to-access compartments in the A 45. With the A30, this should all fit.

    The additional factors behind my looking forward to the a30, besides the smaller size, are the lower weight relative to volume, and the fact that it is possible to do more traveling with either tablets or iPads. These actually fit into the side pockets (of the A45), and can also be slipped into the zippered backpack pockets of either Tri-Star or Aeronaut.

    It is also a question of personal preference, but I think your packing list might work well in the A30. Your choice may also depend on what else you carry (e.g., some people pack a co-Pilot into the Aa45 and pull it out just before boarding to use as a personal item,)

    HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-08-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Changed image link format to display in Tapatalk

  8. #23
    Registered User monkeylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Puget Sound region
    Posts
    842
    Rick Steves does sell bags, but hardly the quality of TB. I have his 20" rollie as I'm into rollies (being an old lady). It should last a few years. A travel towel to wring out your wash, a sink plug, and a woven stretchy clothesline are required for your laundry. Take a bar of Dr. Bonner's soap. You can wash yourself, shave, shampoo (although I find it too harsh for my silver locks), and do handwash! Very few European hotels provide washcloths, so if you're into using those, bring a travel one that dries quickly. Please make sure that your clothing is qwik drying or you'll be vexed by the laundering experience. And...REI sells all styles of clothing that are travel friendly and qwik drying. You don't need to look like you're off on safari. 100% cotton clothing (unless gauze weight) WILL NOT DRY OVERNIGHT. Sorry. Invest in 3 pair Ex Oficio unders and 2 sports bras (which are intended to dry qwikly). The quick drying part is especially important if you moving around a lot from hotel to hotel; you'll be lugging bags of wet clothes with you and have nothing clean to wear.
    Last edited by monkeylady; 07-07-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

  9. #24
    Registered User monkeylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Puget Sound region
    Posts
    842
    Oh, and if you are staying in hotels with a bathroom down the hall, you'll need a little flashlight and flipflops for the shower.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,815
    Some European chains have bathrooms in the room, international chains do to.

    Nevertheless, it is always good to bring flip-flops or waterproof slippers to wear inside the hotels.

    Bring your own washcloth and quick drying towel to wring all moisture out of your laundered items or your freshly clean just shampooed hair.

    Northern Europe is way colder than Texas and going out with wet air, in damp cold weather = cold. Not pleasant on the return flight.

    I suggest one pair of yoga pants in black or other neutral dark color, which can be worn by themselves, or used under a pair of loose fitting pants if the weather, all of a sudden turn chilly.
    Great backup pants, easy to store, lightweight...

    My limited experience of European airport is the feeling that I have to trek just so that I can be tempted by those overpriced boutique and all their brand name stuff. It infuriates me!

    Instead of a clothes line, I suggest the Laundry Travel Stuff Sack and two Double Carabiners, last year I dried some garments on the hotel hangers next to a heat source.
    It just occurred to me how "often" hotel hangers are cleaned. Ewwww!

    I have an Aeronaute 45 and a Tristar, both in Dyneema, which I enthusiastically recommend.

    Even if you don't have to weigh your bags, I strongly advise the use of an analogue fishing scale, or any scale you have handy to weigh the bag you purchase during packing trials.

    Pack the maximum stuff then the most minimalist list (including travel size everything and essentials only, makeup bag) and walk with each load for half a day doing household chores.

    To decide, you have to try them all, by buying them and sending back the one that doesn't fit (she said laughing), my Tristar was bought for my husband

  11. #26
    JLE
    JLE is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by k.observes View Post

    Regarding my toiletries and makeup bag... Not so large/bulky. I am trying to figure out how to relate their sizes, but I would say two relatively smaller travel bags. I'm realizing I might be a little more high maintenance than I'd like to admit, but that accounts for the curling iron
    Nothing wrong with a little high maintenance! And high maintenance can still equal travelling light if you choose your items carefully. My standard packing list includes makeup bag, "dry" toiletries pouch and 3-1-1 bag that is JAMMED FULL (with everything decanted into Go-Toobs and tiny tubs). I also routinely pack my travel-sized straightening irons, a mini Jambox, a flat evening purse and at least two pairs of shoes in addition to what I'm wearing. I take these things every time I travel but I never check-in luggage unless I'm travelling with the family.

    And also don't worry that you're excited about packing - you've come to the right place.

  12. #27
    Registered User Ilkyway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT +1 (+1 Summertime) - Germany, North
    Posts
    841
    Sorry to sidestep this thread: I always wondered why it is called 3-1-1. After consulting google I cam up with this: 3.something ounces no more per container, in 1 bag and 1 bag per person? Since we lathe Europeans (having the metric-system and all...) have 100 ml per container I thought at first you where aloud only 3 of these (3 x 100 ml) which is not true it may add up to 1L if you can fit that in.
    And related to that: goes mascara in the 3-1-1?

    And I have to confirm Backpacks statement on wash-cloth I have never seen one of thous in hotels (Never been outside Europe since now... have to change that ;-) ). Now I wonder why. Since my first experience with having to utilize the smallest towel for this purpose I always pack them but never thought about it.

  13. #28
    Registered User bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by k.observes View Post
    For reference, I will be flying United both ways. I think they're regular check-in rules, but if anyone has had experience, let me know.
    In my experience flying United domestically, they are very hierarchical in the way they have people board. Elites first, those with priority boarding second, and then by zone, which I believe is based on some complex algorithm about where you are seated. If you want to take a carry-on and be sure to have overhead space, I'd suggest upgrading to priority boarding if you can. Since they charge for checked luggage everyone tries to carry on.

    I wouldn't stress about this, but if you can do it for a $10-$20 fee I'd say it's worth it. Since I got my priority boarding through having one of their credit cards, I don't know if you can also pay for this perk? Definitely, the TB bags tuck into the overhead better than rollers, though, so you're already one step ahead.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

  14. #29
    Registered User itsablur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Sorry to sidestep this thread: I always wondered why it is called 3-1-1. After consulting google I cam up with this: 3.something ounces no more per container, in 1 bag and 1 bag per person? Since we lathe Europeans (having the metric-system and all...) have 100 ml per container I thought at first you where aloud only 3 of these (3 x 100 ml) which is not true it may add up to 1L if you can fit that in.
    Close. It's no liquids greater than 3 fluid ounces (100 ml), which all must fit into a 1 quart (roughly 1 litre) bag, and only 1 bag per person. We Canadians use metric as well, but understand the US created concept when you throw in the conversions.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

    Want: EVERYTHING.

  15. #30
    Registered User k.observes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @k.observes I started to post a reply, but then felt @badger had covered things pretty thoroughly in her posts. I traveled with the Aeronaut (dating from the first production batch), and then switched to the Tri-Star, which I currently use, and now have an Aeronaut 30 on order. My guess was that the A30 might work for you. The situation in which the Tri-Star really wins is when you want easy access to the middle compartment while traveling. This can be for storing a laptop, because you can stow it with more protection either in a Cache with rails or within another Carryon bag, such as the Pilot, or the Cadet, which you pull out to split the load. Your use of middle compartment access need not be for a laptop. (I like to carry a Little Swift and drop it into the center compartment). The trade-off for the extra organization is the empty Tri-Star weighs more than an empty Aeronaut.

    I'm 2 inches shorter than you, and I don't usually carry shoes (or at most 1 pair, and these are size 6 or 5 1/2 U.S. size). If larger or bulkier shoes are a factor, then the Aeronaut design is better, because you can use the end pockets to store shoes. If your hair drier is bulky, or odd-shaped, that also works better in the Aeronaut design, because anything can be made to fit more easily into a single, large compartment. I don't have problems with the weight or size of either of these bags (even in Ballistic Nylon), but I personally find the Aeronaut 45 a bit large for my usage. Both these bags fit well into overhead storage. The A45 is 3" longer, so it can fit under seats if you under pack the side compartments so you can scrunch the bag further under.
    Here's a post picturing how the Tri-Star with accompanying Co-Pilot can look fit under the seat in front, in the case where there is no A/V box:

    A forum member posted this picture as part of a reply to someone asking whether a Tri-Star could fit under the seats of Southwest. I can fit a Tri-Star under the seat in front of me in the window seats of interisland carriers like Hawaii Airlines, where the available space is only 60% as wide, but in practice I would place this overhead. With an A 45, the filled end pockets stick out. Although I can under pack and push this further in, I'd have to give up the space in the only easy-to-access compartments in the A 45. With the A30, this should all fit.

    The additional factors behind my looking forward to the a30, besides the smaller size, are the lower weight relative to volume, and the fact that it is possible to do more traveling with either tablets or iPads. These actually fit into the side pockets (of the A45), and can also be slipped into the zippered backpack pockets of either Tri-Star or Aeronaut.

    It is also a question of personal preference, but I think your packing list might work well in the A30. Your choice may also depend on what else you carry (e.g., some people pack a co-Pilot into the Aa45 and pull it out just before boarding to use as a personal item,)

    HTH moriond
    Thanks! I think the A30 will be great for this trip. I still might buy the TriStar for fun. I am probably not going to take a actual laptop, but a combo tablet/laptop- which is super thin. And my kindle. But, if I don't have room my gf can take over the laptop, being we will be sharing one for unexpected work items. Thanks for the advice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0