• 3 Post By moriond
  • 4 Post By jess
  • 4 Post By Grandcache
  • 3 Post By dorayme
  • 4 Post By NWhikergal

Thread: Combinations with the Daylight Backpack

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas

Combinations with the Daylight Backpack

For those of you who have the Leads Pocket, how could this work/attach with the Daylight Backpack? I don't have either, but the two seem like they may be a nice combination of light weight, but excellent organization.
    eWalker likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    For those of you who have the Leads Pocket, how could this work/attach with the Daylight Backpack? I don't have either, but the two seem like they may be a nice combination of light weight, but excellent organization.
    @dorayme I don't have the Daylight Backpack, but the Lead's Pocket is about the same length as the PCSB, but not as tall (top comes up to about the top of the diagonal zipper) and about 2/3 the width, empty. You'll have to check with @Trailhiker, because my measured size for this doesn't seem as large as the Product page dimensions, except the sides and outer pockets can bulge out if they are packed.

The main issue is attaching/suspending this pouch inside a backpack without Annex clip loops, if you don't hold it inside one of the pockets. Here's a picture of the back from the product page:

The four webbing loops are 1.5" wide each. You might be able to use a Tactical T-ring, such as shown in my post describing how you might attach accessory bags inside the Brain Bag. The embedded video shows how the Tactical T-ring works, but you'd have to check whether this would work for 1.5" webbing loops -- it might assume a design width of 1" Molle, for example. These accessories seem to be available in tactical supply stores, and also on etsy, for example, see this link.

I haven't tried this myself. The Lead's Pocket will attach anywhere you would normally clip in a Brain Cell (e.g. in a Smart Alec).

HTH moriond

ETA: I think the standard spacing for stitched PALS webbing is 1.25-1.5", so the Tactical T-ring might be OK for the Annex clip loops. Someone from the EDC forums can probably tell you this exactly,
    Last edited by moriond; 07-04-2014 at 09:30 PM.

That tactical t-ring is interesting, thanks for sharing moriond. Could keys traps be looped through the webbing on the rear of the leads and clipped to the o-rings in the daylight pack, or would this feel bulky and clumsy? Or would double caribiner clips work?
    tpnl and eWalker like this.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I measured my Lead's Pocket, deliberately pressing against the sides to get the most compact measurements, and got 11.5 inches.
    The Daylight Backpack's base is around 11.8 inches across, can any owners check if this is accurate?

My thoughts on this are:
    @dorayme, do you want to carry the Lead's Pocket in the Daylight Backpack rigged horizontally?
    If this is your intention, there might be a problem as there is very little wiggle room. And this is if you're planning to have it at the base of the Daylight Backpack. Since the Daylight Backpack tapers towards the top, I'm guessing you can't just suspend it from the o-rings, as it's quite a bit more narrow near the top.

ETA: I just realized the Daylight Backpack would have a bit of give as well, so suspending the Lead's Pocket could be possible.
    But bearing in mind the Lead's Pocket is padded, it would probably bulge out at the sides of the backpack.

It might be possible to simply use Gatekeepker Clips to the attach the webbing on the Lead's Pocket to the o-rings on the backpack directly.
    Last edited by icebeng; 07-04-2014 at 09:54 PM.

I have tried some of the Tactical T-Rings and they tend to slip out from the 1.5" Lead's Pocket loops after a while - they are more meant for the Molle sized loops. To keep them on, I use some extra zipper pull cord threaded through the holes at the "T end" and then through the loops before tying the 2 ends together.

As @dorayme has suggested, I have found that using the TB Double Carabiner Clips good in the Lead's Pocket and, like the Tactical T-Rings, can turn the Lead's Pocket into a shoulder bag.

@dorayme's other suggestion to use key straps is good too. I think looping the key straps through the Lead's Pocket loops and attaching the two ends to an O-Ring in the DayLight Backpack would work too. I do not have a DayLight Backpack to try but I have tried it successfully on its cousin - the PCBP.

Edit: Added some pictures using @dorayme's key strap idea on a PCBP:

Below is how I attached the key straps to the back of the Lead's Pocket:
    Name:  PCBP_LeadsPocket_Back.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  776.8 KB

Below is the how the Lead's Pocket attached via key straps looks from the Front - note, I have added a 1" triangle metal snaphook (as used in the Yarn Stuff Sacks) as another idea:
    Name:  PCBP_LeadsPocket_Front.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  628.5 KB

Concerning fit of the Lead's Pocket in the DayLight Backpack, I would say it would be tight at the top due to narrower top area but would fit well if lower down. Going vertical instead of horizontal would also be an idea as the Lead's Pockets has the webbing loops at the back for use either way.

Also note that the backpack may "droop" as a loaded up Lead's Pocket will pull the top down unless there is something else packed below it.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-04-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Many thanks tpnl! Those images are similar to what was in my mind. For those owning the DLBP, how far up are the two interior o-rings?

Check out NWikergal posts in the Daylight backpack thread--there are pics of the O rings inside the main compartment of the French Blue DLBP

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    Check out NWikergal posts in the Daylight backpack thread--there are pics of the O rings inside the main compartment of the French Blue DLBP
    Thank you, I sometimes miss updates, and posts, but I have read NWikergal's posts, and seen her photos of the DLBP. They are swaying me towards wanting to add one to my fold.
    My request for the measurement of where the o-rings were came from the comments from tpnl about the DLBP drooping if I secured the Leads Pocket at the top, but didn't support it underneath. I then wondered if it would rest in the bottom, or near the middle if I tried to suspend it, so I was curious about the placement of the o-rings to compare that measurement to the height of the LP.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    @dorayme If you order the DLBP I hope you (or someone else) gets this in Plum! (Plum doesn't seem to be getting much love these days -- I'm guessing that many new orders will go for burnt orange if not for French Blue).

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @dorayme If you order the DLBP I hope you (or someone else) gets this in Plum! (Plum doesn't seem to be getting much love these days -- I'm guessing that many new orders will go for burnt orange if not for French Blue).
    I have one on order in Plum. It should be here Wednesday!

I also ordered plum...scheduled to arrive by the end of the day on Tuesday. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

I was actually on the fence with Plum and Navy. Both look appealing to me.

@dorayme, despite my recent infatuation with French blue, I was extremely tempted by the navy when I saw it in person. It is extremely sharp looking, and I would imagine it would be incredibly versatile in different settings since it is a less bright color than the French blue. The plum was really nice looking too, if one is drawn to the aubergine/plum category. And both navy and plum or aubergine look great together, so if you have another bag of one of those colors that would complement or contrast, that might be a nice combination.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0