Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AVService

Thread: Tristar and Night flight

Tristar and Night flight

I have the tristar and love it
    its my main bag when I travel anywhere

On most trips I also take my camera bag which is a shoulder bag. it is medium size holds dslr, two lenses and a flash

I was wondering if I could switch to the night flight and what that would be like for a camera bag? wondering if it would be too much to carry

My partner has a very light weight wheeled carry on and I am also thinking that the night flight might be perfect for him as the personal item carry on,would it be too big for that?

I've thought about that too. I guess it would depend on what your current camera bag is, how much gear you carry, and comfort as a shoulder bag with that much weight. Most camera bags are narrower than the Night Flight, and more similar in dimension to a Pilot or Cafe bag (taller, narrow profile). My concern with the NFTD as a camera bag is it being much wider than most camera bags, and that being less comfortable, or drawing the ire of security guards in places where big bags are frowned upon.

On my most recent trips, I've used either a Lower Passport Sling I've had for years, or I use a Co-Pilot with a camera insert. I like the CP as an EDC, and as an airplane personal item, but I'm only so-so on it as a camera bag. I've considered up sizing to the Pilot, which would solve the size and shape issue (can bulge when loaded up, or doesn't sit comfortably on my side/back), but with the same fundamental design as the CP, it still probably isn't ideal going in and out of with lenses and bodies in my experience.

The NFTD has a much easier to work with opening, but that thickness seems somewhat awkward for walk around camera bag duty... I am tempted though as a flying personal item, minimal overnight bag, and gym bag...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-03-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typos from smartphone autocorrect
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

those are my exact concerns. I have different bags for different uses. I thought I had the right one and turns out in the end i don't. I have the chance to get a crumpler 7 million at a great price.

I am thinking that could be the trick

the night flight I am still seeing as a great bag for my partner

Quote Originally Posted by sdophoto View Post
    those are my exact concerns. I have different bags for different uses. I thought I had the right one and turns out in the end i don't. I have the chance to get a crumpler 7 million at a great price.

I am thinking that could be the trick

the night flight I am still seeing as a great bag for my partner
    My problem with the Crumpler Million Dollar Homes, and most messenger bag style camera bags is that to me, they open the wrong way. Pulling the flap up and towards my body means I have to hold that flap up, look over it, and root around behind it somewhat blind or one-handed. I'd actually prefer to flip the flap away from me so I don't have to hold it open, and I could use it to shield the contents from weather or prying eyes while I'm digging around.

Still, I do like the Crumpler build quality. I've owned a few various Crumplers over the years (largely laptop bags).
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

ya that is a limitation with the crumpler no one makes the right camera bag.....

I have a Six Million Dollar Home and the problem to me with most Photo Bags is there is just more padding than I need and not enough flexibility.

I like the TT Urban Disguise 35 all around for travel as it holds a lot more than it looks like it could and also can hold a pretty full set of other stuff at the same time.

I also find the Synapse 19 with camera insert to be about perfect for me for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I have a Six Million Dollar Home and the problem to me with most Photo Bags is there is just more padding than I need and not enough flexibility.

I like the TT Urban Disguise 35 all around for travel as it holds a lot more than it looks like it could and also can hold a pretty full set of other stuff at the same time.

I also find the Synapse 19 with camera insert to be about perfect for me for the same reasons.
    I have used a few different 20-ish litre backpacks as make shift camera bags to varying degrees of success. They're all as comfortable as you'd expect from a proper day pack, but can be a bit annoying/frustrating getting things out of, especially if you have a mixed load.

What insert do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    I have used a few different 20-ish litre backpacks as make shift camera bags to varying degrees of success. They're all as comfortable as you'd expect from a proper day pack, but can be a bit annoying/frustrating getting things out of, especially if you have a mixed load.

What insert do you use?
    I think this says it all.

Synapse with Photo Insert-Here is 1 way!

avservice i was debating about this and seeing it in action looks great although I am not sold on backpack style camera bags
    Last edited by sdophoto; 07-05-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdophoto View Post
    avservice i was debating about this and seeing it in action looks great although I am not sold on backpack style camera bags
    I understand,it is just another tool to me.

I like the option of another way to carry the gear and is pretty stealthy too.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0