How to attach a tripod to the Aeronaut 30?

I doubt my 16-inch travel tripod will fit in the Aeronaut 30's main compartment. Aside from unzipping one interior divider (hopefully not both), how would I attach my tripod to the pack? Simply strapping it down seems like the easiest, if not the most elegant solution.

Too bad the Aeronaut doesn't have strap holders like the Guide's Pack. But I understand that it may look awkward on such a sleek bag.

If putting the tripod outside the bag, perhaps get a TB large Quiver and 2 Double Gatekeeper Clips.
    Hook one end of a Double Gatekeeper Clip to the A30 end handle and the other to the triangular shoulder strap attachment point on the TB Quiver. Do the same for the other side. If not long enough, double up the Double Gatekeeper Clips or use Carabiners.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    If putting the tripod outside the bag, perhaps get a TB large Quiver and 2 Double Gatekeeper Clips.
    Hook one end of a Double Gatekeeper Clip to the A30 end handle and the other to the triangular shoulder strap attachment point on the TB Quiver. Do the same for the other side. If not long enough, double up the Double Gatekeeper Clips or use Carabiners.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    With the A45 size Aeronaut you could carry the tripod in the large size (520 mm/20.5") tripod quiver resting on top of the Aeronaut, and surrounded by the webbing handles and the handle grip of the Aeronaut, and by securing the two triangular attachment points of TriPod Quiver and Aeronaut with Double Carabiner Clips. This should also be possible with the slightly shorter A30 (19.7 x 12.6 x 7.9" / 500 x 320 x 201mm vs. 22" x 14" x 9" / 555 x 355 x 230 mm). What I don't know is whether it is easy to secure the Absolute Strap to carry both Aeronaut and Tripod Quiver in this mode, because the tripod size is a bit too long for the small size (360 mm/14.2") quiver, but the large quiver (520 mm/20.5") and its end attachment points lies a bit further across the length of the 19.7" long A30. You could certainly hand carry the A30 by the handle grip with the TriPod Quiver lying on top of the bag. It should also be possible to attach a strap to the TriPod Quiver attachment points and carry it cross body with the Aeronaut carried via the backpack straps.

None of us have had a chance to try the new A30 bag yet. Maybe the TB store crew have additional suggestions?

moriond

I actually considered that tripod last year when I was looking for an upgrade from my Gorilla Pod SLR and a cheap trips I got from Target 10 years ago. In the end, I went with a carbon fibre MeFoto Roadtripper, which foods down to a similar height (~15.4").

I find with my A45, can fit it in the main compartment on top (under the grab handle) of all of my packing cubes, even in its carrying case. Did the BeFree come with its own case? In desperation, I've considered attaching my tripod in its soft sided case outside the bag under the handle, and finding some way to attach it. With a series of steps or clips, I'm sure I could affix it to the base of the handles.

This would of course take you out of "maximum carry on" size of boarding an airplane though...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Do you need a cover/case for the tripod? I know it won't look as clean, but if carrying it as a backpack, maybe you could feed the tripod through the grab handles in such a way so that it doesn't fall through? Alternatively if hand/shoulder carrying, maybe just have it lying on top of the bag secured by the grab handles?

If you feel the need to further secure it, you could consider bicycle hooks or bungee cords. Not very elegant but helps to hold it in place. And you could find colorful ones to jazz up your setup if you're so inclined.