Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Two of a kind?

Two of a kind?

If you have two or more of the same Tom Bihn backpack - for your own use, that is, not just two in the same household - what do you do with each of them? (I think I've seen this question in one thread or another, but figured I'd promote it to its own thread. )

I find myself with a Portable Culture S19 and a New!Standard S19, because I wanted to check out the difference in strap placement. I haven't fully put them through their paces, but I do love both colorways. Help me rationalize why I "need" two! Don't need a dedicated camera bag, I already have one of those. Kids already have school backpacks (and they will likely need something closer to the S25 when it's time to upgrade, as they're required to carry around humongous 3-ring binders). I already have bags assigned to gym duty, and have been using my SCB as my EDC. So, what uses have you assigned to your packs??
    carl0 and eWalker like this.

I have just allocated one to be a Bug-out Bag to justify ordering a new bag!

And I didnīt even received the first bag
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

What color are they? Different fabrics?

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Help me rationalize why I "need" two!
    Sigh. Bags (and at an earlier point in my life, sneakers) are my biggest weakness and I've stopped attempting to rationalise multiple colours and/or overlapping use profiles with the vocabulary of necessity. At the "do I buy?" stage, I go "Do I like the colour? If yes, can I afford** it?". If yes to both, the bag ends up in my closet and is taken out when I "feel like [insert colour here] today". I like quirky colours, so all my stuff ends up seeing the daylight... just not at the same time.

That aside, I use the conservative colours for more formal occasions (e.g. internship) and the brighter ones for everyday (e.g. school) stuff. I recently bought a black ballistic/steel Swift out of /actual/ necessity because I need a large-ish, ladylike and work-appropriate bag that isn't made of leather.

(** Defined as being within my discretionary spending allowance)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-02-2014 at 08:15 AM.

I thought about this purpose, and certainly, what better bag to have post-apocalypse than a TB bag??

My one worry is that, if I keep it/one of the bags in the trunk of my car, it will deteriorate over time since it gets so hot in the summer. I would hate to do that to my Bihn bag, even though, of all the bags, it would probably hold up best!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I have just allocated one to be a Bug-out Bag to justify ordering a new bag!

And I didnīt even received the first bag
    Moose and eWalker like this.

One is steel Dyneema/UV, the other is black/UV with the ninja zippers. (I rather like the urban stealth nature of the black with the shocking lining... less recognizable as a Super!Cool!Bag! ) So they are not completely dissimilar. Also the UV lining makes it slightly harder to justify handing one down to my son - not because I believe certain colors are assigned to one gender, but because he does. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    What color are they? Different fabrics?

Yep, this. As far as hobbies and collections go, this is not the most expensive one I've had. Still, I'd like to have a somewhat plausible reason when someone inquires why I have 2-3-4 nearly identical backpacks - including the non-TB ones- hanging in the closet. (Actually, I try never to have them too close to each other, to avoid this line of questioning, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Sigh. Bags (and at an earlier point in my life, sneakers) are my biggest weakness and I've stopped attempting to rationalise multiple colours and/or overlapping use profiles in my closet using the vocabulary of necessity. At the "do I buy?" stage, I go "Do I like the colour? If yes, can I afford** it?". If yes to both, the bag ends up in my closet and is taken out when I "feel like [insert colour here] today". I like quirky colours, so all my stuff ends up seeing the daylight... just not at the same time.

That aside, I use the conservative colours for more formal occasions (e.g. internship) and the brighter ones for everyday (e.g. school) stuff. I recently bought a black ballistic/steel Swift out of /actual/ necessity because I need a large-ish, ladylike and work-appropriate bag that isn't made of leather.

(** Defined as being within my discretionary spending allowance)

Well, you could designate one a warm weather carry and one a cold weather carry. I do something similar with my Cafe Bags. And, when not in active use, my S25 is a storage facility for my travel kits.
    haraya likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I have a lot of bags, but not two of the same exact thing. I don't think I could justify having two of the same...

Like @monkeylady, I have a pack that I use (when not actually using it) to store all my travel related stuff (it's a winter ski pack, so it has a limited/specific use).

Also, somewhat off topic, I have a BOB in the works, but am using an old (probably early 2000s) Dana Designs climbing/hiking bag for this. My TB bag is too nice for zombies. :-)

Don't laugh.... I color coordinate my TB bag with my outfit for the day
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I have certain bags I use all the time (SE, Swift, LSB), and I have them in several colors. I rarely use one color more than a week or so before I get bored.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

I have two Synapse 19's. One is steel colored, kind of boring.
    When I initiated a trade with someone they offered me a Nordic S19, which is beautiful. So now that I have two, I use the steel for places it might get dirty or suffer mortal wounds (e.g., kayaking and hiking, or rigorous travel), and the Nordic for less challenging environments.

Also, since the strap placement was changed on these, I thought it was worth keeping the two I owned; having one as a backup for the other. The new ones don't fit me.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 07-02-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I bought two S19, the second because... wait for it... LEGENDARY NORDIC. And because I had the same problem like you (how to justify exact same bag twice?) I gave one to my aunt who really loved the design but was not willing to spend money on it. I feel good about it, but that is not permanent solution. Because (in principle for the same reasons) I now have two Smart Alecs. And I refuse to give one of thous away, because I so much like them both. I will use one for a camerabag for a while but I also will rotate (as I always have) my bags and my use for them around. And I find myself (like taminca) to like the bag to color coordinate with what i wear. (That is why sadly I will never be able to take out something burned orange).

What am I saying here? I like the "afford"-approach of adalangdon because getting into financial stress over a bag is not a good idea and if that part of her advice is addressed than the other one (if you like them, keep them) is valid too. And if you are not sure if the money thing could become an issue along the road (so you think about putting it better into the bank than into a bag...) I hear that Tom Bihn bags do hold their value very good.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    If you have two or more of the same Tom Bihn backpack - for your own use, that is, not just two in the same household - what do you do with each of them? (I think I've seen this question in one thread or another, but figured I'd promote it to its own thread. )

I find myself with a Portable Culture S19 and a New!Standard S19, because I wanted to check out the difference in strap placement. I haven't fully put them through their paces, but I do love both colorways. Help me rationalize why I "need" two! Don't need a dedicated camera bag, I already have one of those. Kids already have school backpacks (and they will likely need something closer to the S25 when it's time to upgrade, as they're required to carry around humongous 3-ring binders). I already have bags assigned to gym duty, and have been using my SCB as my EDC. So, what uses have you assigned to your packs??
    Multiples?
    Let's see,
    On the subject of copilots,
    There's,
    One in steel ballistic (with a green hue), match the right slacks, sport coat
    One in steel ballistic (with a blue hue / new zipper style) again match the right slacks, sport coat.
    One in steel dyneema, rough and tumble expeditions.
    One in black ballistic (portable culture) for my "Jack Bauer" moments
    (washed more than a few times, gets lent out to family)

Hmmm, one more in black ballistic, pristine,used when I need to be dressed up and need to carry more than a cafe bag but can't take a backpack.

What's a multiple?
    They all have individual assignments!
    :-/

Footnote, of all my TB bags my "copilot series" is my most used.
    Ipad and drawing material / water/ small camera / misc. carry)
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 07-02-2014 at 03:50 PM.

3 Brain Bags here!

2 in Red and 1 in Plum.

Only 1 even has GateKeeper clips while the other 2 are older and have snaps.

All look like new pretty much too.

They are each B.O.B. for different vehicles although I also use one a lot on trips where I need a lot of computers and binders but a bag that does not look like a computer bag!

They do not seem to deteriorate in a car in the slightest and we get pretty brutal weather here in STL overall.

I like the BB for this use,if it's not broke,why fix it?

Ed
    haraya and eWalker like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0