Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Two of a kind?

Preparedness will mean quite different things depending on the place you live in, weather, family composition, health status and so on.

In my case, I donīt have to worry in terms of natural disasters, Brazil is quite blessed on this aspect!

My preparedness focus on medical emergencies:

1. What will I need in case my mother needs emergency medical care
    2. What will be needed if I need emergency medical care
    3. What will be needed if something happen to both of us

When my mother got hospitalized, I was not prepared for that... I went to hospital with only my wallet!

Big Mistake!!

Medical information, specific contacts, family contacts, medical contacts, cash, change of clothes, chargers, extra batteries, snacks, etc. All this must be ready, together and accessible in case of emergency and that is something I learned the hard way.

And what better way to handle this then in a TB based tiered BOB?!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-03-2014 at 01:25 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Trailhiker How did you get a Co-Pilot in steel ballistic with a "blue hue" (as opposed to a "green hue")? Was this an earlier generation purchase of Steel? (You do realize that @kkintea will have to update the posts in what I jokingly call her "Not Quite 50 Shades of Grey" posts. These are posts #58 and #59 dated 5-07-2014 in the New side effect color pairings thread. Here are the direct links:

moriond
    Moriond,

Not having a photo handy of the "blue Hue" steel ballistic, the best I could do at the moment is pull up this photo of my Tristar that has a similar shade palette. This is what I would call a "Blue Hue" That particular copilot was a recent acquisition.
    Where as the "Green Hue" copilot was from an earlier vintage. ( not dissimilar from those links with the 50 shades of grey)
    I'm quite tickled to have both shades available as when I need either one.
    As far as an everyday EDC when I do, I use a copilot, I find I use my copilot more than the one Pilot in black that I have.
    The pilot seems to be relegated to my trips on the plane moments.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  157.1 KB
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 07-02-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks @Trailhiker. My steel Co-Pilot has the "green hue", while the only steel Ballistic Nylon I have with a "blue hue" is in a Sapphire (Cordura)/Steel Swift prototype from 2007. (But I don't have so many Steel Ballistic Nylon bags that I can track these color tone differences.)

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

Living in south Florida, I can attest to the fact that Go Bags aren't just for the zombie apocalypse any more: anyone who lives along the coast here really needs to have one with the essentials ready.

In 2004, we got hit with 4 hurricanes within 6 weeks. Evacuation was mandatory, and I was very happy to have a Go Bag with copies of insurance info, toiletries, snacks, and first aid stuff ready to go -- one less thing to worry about when you have a short time to put shutters up on every window, find a safe place for your pet, and get out of dodge.

That said, I hope nobody will mind if I bring this thread full circle back to the original subject of multiples...

In a short period of time, I have accumulated more bags than I probably need, including two Pilots.

Wasn't sure if I would like Dyneema or Ballistic better, so I ordered both -- intending to send one back after deciding which I preferred. (This was my first bag with a Dyneema exterior, and I was on the fence about how black Dyneema, in particular, would suit me.)

Of course, I liked them both, so I debated the issue beyond the return window, which conveniently relieved me of having to come up with a real reason for owning two of the same bag.

My current rationalization is that one (the Dyneema version) will be for EDC and for packing inside the center compartment of my Tri-Star on longer personal trips, while the Ballistic version will be for carrying my laptop in a cache on shorter/more formal business trips. (An added bonus is that the Ballistic Pilot matches my Western Flyer, while the Dyneema Pilot matches my Synpase.)

Of course, I realize I'm deluding myself: I clearly don't "need" both... and suspect I should be concerned about turning into a TB bag hoarder. lol
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-04-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Steel Ballistic: Aeronaut30 (w/UV), Pilot (w/UV), Western Flyer (w/Iberian)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi), Side Effect (w/Wasabi)

Could you post a photo of your 2 Pilots together in the different fabrics? Aside from the Pilot currently out of stock and not getting a lot of love, it's always interesting to see various bag color/material options side by side. I love black dyneema - especially with Iberian interiors!
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

I do not have a Pilot but I have two Co-Pilots. The bags are both empty but one large Shop Bag in each to give at least some depth to them. I think one can very well see how the material influences the shape of the bags:

Name:  Co-Pilot1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  476.2 KB

Name:  Co-Pilot2.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  621.3 KB

Name:  Co-Pilot3.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  601.6 KB

Name:  Co-Pilot6.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  574.4 KB

For me both materials have its place: my luggage is all ballistic. I want it to tuff out, what ever it has to face on all my future journeys. With my other bags it depents: for official setups or classy events it is ballistic or Cordula for me. With hobby/fun or bag-in-bag it is the softer and more giving dyneema.

Hope this does any good,
    Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    Could you post a photo of your 2 Pilots together in the different fabrics? Aside from the Pilot currently out of stock and not getting a lot of love, it's always interesting to see various bag color/material options side by side. I love black dyneema - especially with Iberian interiors!
    Sure, RhoFro, I'd be happy to.

Will take some pics when the sun dips a bit and the light is less harsh later in the afternoon...

PS - Nice photos of your Co-Pilots, Ilkyway!
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-04-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    Here you go, RhoFro.

I haven't seen a Black Dyneema bag with Iberian interior in person, but I bet it would look great.

Wasabi was the sole interior option when I ordered my Dyneema Pilot.

Was on the fence about the color when I received the bag, but it has really grown on me. It makes a fantastic interior because it is high visibility without being too bright. Its pairing with Black Dyneema has become one of my favorites (so much so that I got an S25 in this combination, too).

My Steel Ballistic Pilot has a UV interior... a photo of which I'll attach to a subsequent post, since I've apparently reached the limit for attachments to this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-04-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Incidentally, I was surprised by how fantastic Steel Ballistic looks in person. Many pictures I had seen made it look like a bland shade of grey, but in person the texture and sheen of Steel Ballistic are anything but boring.

I like the way the new gunmetal zippers look with it, too. Unfortunately, the zipper stitching is very visible on a lighter, solid color like Steel. While I am a fan of the new gunmetal sliders and right-side-up zippers, I do miss the hidden stitching on the earlier version of the Co-Pilot, which looks cleaner and more elegant on this style of bag, IMHO. (See IIkyway's excellent photos above for an example.)

The Dyneema Pilot is significantly more pliable. It conforms to the shape of my waist and almost wraps around it as I walk, and it is compactable enough to slide easily into the center compartment of my Tri-Star (something that I haven't attempted with the Ballistic version). A downside of the lighter fabric is that the rear pocket droops open if the bag is lightly packed and you carry it by the handle; this is alleviated quite a bit if the Pilot is fully-packed, though. The Ballistic version feels a lot more structured (and protective of interior contents); it will stand up on its own, and the back pocket remains taut when you carry the bag by the handle.

Here are a few more pics...

Name:  Pilots 06.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  301.6 KBName:  Pilots 07.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  216.9 KBName:  Pilots 08.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  272.6 KBName:  Pilots 09.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  166.2 KBName:  Pilots 10.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  172.0 KB
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-04-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Such an interesting discussion (or set of discussions) this turned into! Who knew that steel ballistic came in two hues?!

I still don't know what unique uses I will find for my two S19s, but since it's not a case of financial hardship at this time, I'm happy to hold on to both.

I do think once we get back from our big summer trip I might set one up as a bug-out bag. I don't think I will keep it in my trunk, my experience is that things in my trunk get overlooked, stale, outdated. (e.g., the kids' clothes are outgrown and so they don't fit when we suddenly need an outfit change.) I can't keep perishable food or first-aid items in my car beyond, say, cloth bandages, since they dry up or become unusable due to extreme heat. But the closet by the front door is not a bad place. Maybe I will start a new thread about B.O.B's and their intended purposes!

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Such an interesting discussion (or set of discussions) this turned into! Who knew that steel ballistic came in two hues?!

I still don't know what unique uses I will find for my two S19s, but since it's not a case of financial hardship at this time, I'm happy to hold on to both.

I do think once we get back from our big summer trip I might set one up as a bug-out bag. I don't think I will keep it in my trunk, my experience is that things in my trunk get overlooked, stale, outdated. (e.g., the kids' clothes are outgrown and so they don't fit when we suddenly need an outfit change.) I can't keep perishable food or first-aid items in my car beyond, say, cloth bandages, since they dry up or become unusable due to extreme heat. But the closet by the front door is not a bad place. Maybe I will start a new thread about B.O.B's and their intended purposes!
    Lucky for me I have 3 Brain Bags in three vehicles and none have a trunk!

It can be a challenge though to see that things stay fresh anyway.

I have Coast Guard Lifeboat emergency rations in each pack too in different flavors and they don't seem to be effected too much by heat or cold and in STL we get both!

At least they don't get much worse is what I really meant to say.
    haraya and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I have Coast Guard Lifeboat emergency rations in each pack too in different flavors and they don't seem to be effected too much by heat or cold and in STL we get both!

At least they don't get much worse is what I really meant to say.
    I'll have to look those up! I had some kind of crunchy granola bars in the car for a while... got rock-hard after a while, but edible enough for those stuck-in-interminable-traffic moments.

I don't keep food in my go-bag, but the kids and I usually have food/water in our EDC packs or in the snack bag (= Large/Small Shop Bag, usually in the car with us wherever we are, usually contains at least one Klean Kanteen and several kinds of snacks). We're rarely more than a mile or two from home, on walkable city streets where we would likely pass a store or home or apartment building (shelter, food, friends).

Right after 9/11 I stocked an emergency bag with rations, clothes, first-aid supplies, and even our passports (this was pre-kids). Then I freaked out a few months later because I could not find the passports in the safe, where they usually live. I had forgotten that I had moved them to the B.O.B., and then once I remembered, couldn't find the bag, lol. The passports are back in the safe now. We are not that close to the border... if we need passports I will probably have time to go pull them out.

What IS more likely to happen, and has happened a couple of times, is that there is a storm or tornado warning, and first we have to take shelter in the basement, then if the power goes out we have to relocate for a few days. So my EDC and back-up supplies reflect our current situation. There are always spare clothes in the trunk of my car, for all family members, plus blankets and entertainment. I have a windup radio in my desk drawer - it comes with us on trips . I have a flashlight on my keychain. The kids have whistles. There are definitely some refinements I can make... more along the lines of supplies at home, I think. Maybe some extra shoes in the car.

That is something that never ceases to amaze and amuse me!

Maybe I will start a new thread about B.O.B's and their intended purposes!
    There is one going on!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-05-2014 at 05:30 AM.
    haraya likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Circling back to this thread to say that I discovered anew how awesome Tom Bihn organization is!

I still haven't really tested the S19 as an EDC, because I've been using my Small Cafe Bag for the last few weeks. But, today I was doing a test pack of my son's carry-on for our next trip. I was using his 18L school bag to try and hold entertainment, extra clothes, and essentials. I only had three things loaded and it was clear the bag would not hold much more, yet there were open spaces here and there due to the long narrow orientation of the pack. Then I had a "eureka!" moment and grabbed one of my S19s.

Not only did I have an extra 1L of capacity to work with, but as the S19 is slightly wider - albeit slightly shorter than the other pack, which is not a bad thing for a small boy - everything stacked nicely in the main compartment, without gaps. (I'll try to get a picture tomorrow in the daytime.) And then all the clever pockets held just the right amount of gear, in just the right places so that I don't have to dig everything out of the pack to find his jacket/whistle/toothbrush. Lastly, I called DS over and put the pack on him, buckling the sternum and waist straps. It fit my 6yo perfectly and he said it didn't feel heavy. Brilliant!! I still can't believe how efficiently everything stows away in the S19. (I should probably weigh it, though, to make sure it's not too big a percentage of his weight.)

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    There is one going on!
    thank you, eWalker!! I will have to check that thread out and assess my current stash.
    Last edited by haraya; 07-20-2014 at 10:04 PM.

@haraya, I would be interested to know the weight of your son's S19 as packed I have considered using the S19 on my son (also 6yrs) but thought the weight of the pack empty may be an issue to begin with. Hence, I had purchased the DLBP for him.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0