Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Two of a kind?

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I have just allocated one to be a Bug-out Bag to justify ordering a new bag!

And I didnīt even received the first bag
    I've assigned one of my S19s (the UV one) permanent range bag duty. I just wish Hoppes didn't stink it up quite so much. My plum one is assigned for lighter duty, day hikes, fairs, festivals and the like. I've considered putting my S25 on long term BOB assignment so I can get a black dyneema/uv one, if it ever comes along.
    haraya and eWalker like this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Amy
    I took a look at the Urban Prepper youtube channel after reading these threads. I'm fascinated by this whole idea of people prepping un-ironically for some unnamed disaster. What scenario is everyone prepping for exactly, especially those of you who are not in the military and basically commute between work and home? I love to be prepared for any emergency, but my emergencies are things like being in a hotel or airport without convenient access to outlets (multi-outlet travel plug to the rescue!). Or stashing an extra battery for my Galaxy Note 2 in case I'm out sightseeing somewhere. I also consider Wet Wipes one of my "survival tools" when traveling with kids. I just really don't think about civilization collapsing suddenly, and needing a bug-out bag to create fire and signal for help with whistles and guardian lights.

I do love the zombie genre for its unabashed campiness and fun "what if" scenarios, but this notion of grimly preparing for a "bug-out scenario" sounds totally mental to me. Am I just not getting it?

Also, although I'm from Texas, I have no intentions of ever owning a firearm for those times when I may want to go to a movie and may need to save the entire theatre from a crazed shooter. My survival tool is popcorn salt. I just can't live my life with the idea that death is around the corner.

I actually met someone recently who has some rural Texas property and wants to bury a giant tank to store diesel fuel, "just in case." They also wear firearms holstered to their hips all day long. WTF??
    Last edited by Amy; 07-02-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

@amy -- I think a lot of it has to do with where you live. Here in New Jersey, hurricanes and flooding are a serious threat. I don't think anyone needs to go all doomsday prepper, but having a basic emergency kit, several days worth of water, and a thought-out game plan is just common sense, certainly for people who might be forced to leave their homes.

Second the above.
    Sensible for people who live in wildfire areas. Not my taste when it comes to doomsday scenarios. Chacun ā son goût.

It took me a minute to work out what ta BOB meant. Had to reread the original post.
    eWalker likes this.

Amy
    Carl,
    I agree with preparing for natural disasters. When I lived in Houston during hurricane season, we always made sure to have the basics on hand in case of the real possibility of hurricanes. THAT I understand, and it seems normal, rational and sane. When we had a recent ice storm, I made sure to have basic stuff whenever we had to go out-- blankets, water, some snacks, phone, flashlight, spare phone battery, etc.

But the hard-core preppers I've seen pop up since Y2K seem like a different breed altogether. They seem to be expecting an apocalypse, not a hurricane. I can't wrap my head around the mentality of someone like the Urban Prepper. I guess I'm going to have to start watching Doomdsay Preppers to see exactly what this trend is all about. Mistrust of government? Fear of a biblical apocalypse? Terrorism? Zombies? Where does this doomsday worldview come from?

In a way, I guess it's similar to the postwar 50s, with everyone building bomb shelters and practicing air raid drills.

Amy

I drive all over the country a lot for work. I can't fly since 9/11 and bring all that I need on planes anymore so I need to drive and never want to get stuck unprepared.
    I have before and it does not take twice for me to get the idea.

I was in South Florida years ago when a Hurricane developed and headed to the area I was in. The Hotel kicked us all out as they thought the Hotel ground would be sure to flood. I went to Sams Club and made a little kit of things to keep me going and there were no places to stay and almost no way to drive North,everyone else was doing the same thing.

It did get a little ugly on the road and luckily I was in a Minivan at the time and could sleep in it too and did.

I actually can not stand to fly so it is not that big a deal and I even feel like I am vacationing while driving and listening to Audio Books.

I am driving soon to deliver a car to a client and then working for a week and have to fly back and I feel sort of naked even planning the trip without my usual stuff,it has just become a way of life really.

All before I even started with TWD! Darn Zombies!

So I wouldn't paint everyone with the same broad brush,we each have our own story.

Ed

I took an interesting course on survival preparedness through Coursera recently, taught by a nurse who specialized in this subject. It really drove home the point that having a kit that lets you and your family survive for a few days after a hurricane, electricity outage, or other breakdown of infrastructure, is really the responsible course to take. Food, water, light, sanitation needs... these are all things to think about. Taking care of the basics for yourself and your family lessens the drain on overtaxed emergency services and lets scarce resources get directed towards those who are truly in need.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Amy
    Hi Ed,

I'm sure there are as many back-stories for the prepper mentality as there are preppers. Thanks for sharing. Your hesitation to fly and your preparedness seems rational to me considering what you've experienced. All those people stuck on the roads for 2 days in Dallas last winter during the awful ice storm would have done well to plan like you did. Anyone who is in an area at risk for flooding, fires, tornadoes and hurricanes is smart to plan ahead.

And it's totally realistic to me to be worried about terrorism, especially in high-target urban areas that have already been hit in the past. That makes sense.

Zombies does not make sense. Biblical apocalypse does not make sense. I know of yet another urban Texas family who has started building an arsenal and planning how they'll board up the house when Whatever-It-Is hits.

I think I'm going to have to watch some more documentaries or read some more forums.
    eWalker likes this.

Amy
    @bchaplin - Hurricane Sandy (among others) was a good lesson for a lot of people in needing to figure out ways to survive with no electricity and a hobbled infrastructure. That is all good info and is a very sensible thing to do.

Maybe the preppers I've seen on TV and run into in rural Texas are more sane than I'm giving them credit for.
    eWalker likes this.

Amy, please don't watch Doomsday Preppers to gather information. IMHO that is the absolutley dumbest show on TV. I'm far from a prepper but I do keep enough around the house for illness, job loss, weather and other such things. We've had ice storms when power was out for three weeks. For me and a lot of folks where I live, no power means no water. Our power goes out frequently anywhere from an hour to days at a time.

If I get sick, really sick, not a garden variety cold, My closest grocery store/pharmacy is a 40 mile drive. The nearest mall is a 90 mile drive. Don't even get me started about driving home at four in the afternoon in 18 inches of snow when it's darker than a pocket. I'm sure you can see why some reasonable people would be somewhat prepared. As for zombies, I've done nothing specific to combat them.

My bottom line is I will not be shuffled off to a Superdome like environment. Those pictures were much scarrier than any ole zombie.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 07-02-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Multiples?
    Let's see,
    On the subject of copilots,
    There's,
    One in steel ballistic (with a green hue), match the right slacks, sport coat
    One in steel ballistic (with a blue hue / new zipper style) again match the right slacks, sport coat.
    One in steel dyneema, rough and tumble expeditions.
    One in black ballistic (portable culture) for my "Jack Bauer" moments
    (washed more than a few times, gets lent out to family)
    @Trailhiker How did you get a Co-Pilot in steel ballistic with a "blue hue" (as opposed to a "green hue")? Was this an earlier generation purchase of Steel? (You do realize that @kkintea will have to update the posts in what I jokingly call her "Not Quite 50 Shades of Grey" posts. These are posts #58 and #59 dated 5-07-2014 in the New side effect color pairings thread. Here are the direct links:

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-02-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Fixed links

I have read that those preppers shows constantly reject wannabe actors for not being crazy enough.
    If it is in the media it is about sensationalizing it all and smearing the entire idea of being prepared for the sake of the viewing audience,not too hard to imagine to me.

The world is a crazy place and getting crazier all the time and it seems better to be prepared and not need to than need to and not be prepared to the extent that it is practical at least and does no harm to others.

I also do Emergency Communications and disaster response as an radio operator and some the the things we see and are involved in are almost hard to accept. The last thing we want to do is to place any additional burden on already strained resources so this is another area where my preps have practical effect.
    I go as far as bringing my own shelter and fuel and anything I think I might need and am in general prepared to go out with little notice and be self sufficient for a few weeks at a time.

These days it is a good feeling to be able to count on yourself and know it will all be OK if the worst does happen.

Usually without warning.

I think there are a lot more of us out there than want to be known too.

If I can do this in style too,with sassy bags its all the better!

Amy
    Moose,
    Your preparedness is based on the reality of your situation. I totally get it, and I wouldn't put you in the same category as my acquaintance amassing a home arsenal to fight off marauding hordes, or the rural neighbors burying a diesel tank. That prepping effort doesn't seem attached to any kind of present or future reality that I can understand.

I'll check out the Prepared Society, although they sound like they might be too normal to be that interesting.
    Moose and eWalker like this.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I'm fascinated by this whole idea of people prepping un-ironically for some unnamed disaster. What scenario is everyone prepping for exactly, especially those of you who are not in the military and basically commute between work and home? My survival tool is popcorn salt. I just can't live my life with the idea that death is around the corner.
    I'll tell you exactly what you should be prepared for - Snowmageddon. It took me 5 hours to go 16 miles. A lot of people abandoned their cars and slept in the aisles of drug stores, kids were stranded on buses, some lost power for a week in subzero temperatures. Once I did make it home, I was unable to leave for 5 days. Good thing I had more than popcorn. All thanks to 2 inches of snow and ice.

The South’s disastrous response to the winter storm, in pictures - The Washington Post

Having a bag in your car with boots, gloves, a first aid kit, water and a flashlight is not a bad idea. Having a bag at home with important papers, dog food if you have pets and whatever you need to leave ASAP if you have no power or water (thousands had pipes burst and homes flooded) is also not a bad idea.

Actually, the same shot they used for The Walking Dead season 1 is what we saw when the exodus from the city happened. Fortunate for the Dixon brothers, filming is on hiatus in the winter.

Name:  WD.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  61.9 KB

I bet our own Buford Calloway has a BOB now
    eWalker and Amy like this.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    I'll tell you exactly what you should be prepared for - Snowmageddon. It took me 5 hours to go 16 miles. A lot of people abandoned their cars and slept in the aisles of drug stores, kids were stranded on buses, some lost power for a week in subzero temperatures.
    RhoFro, it took me 9 hours to go 9 miles. I firmly believe after that experience, if anything catastrophic happened to Atlanta I will just "weather" it out in my house -- if I can make it there, that is. There is no possible way of being able to leave the city unless a three day advanced warning is given. I have a new respect for preppers. I have just the basics that can get me through typical weather/car related emergencies, but I'm slowly but surely making sure I can "survive" in my house for at least a week+ without having to worry overmuch.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0