Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By PaulT00
  • 1 Post By PaulT00
  • 1 Post By hamiltee
  • 2 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By Holly
  • 2 Post By icebeng
  • 2 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By icebeng
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 5 Post By Matthew
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By dsmking

Thread: Packing cube sizes for the A30 vs A45?

Question Packing cube sizes for the A30 vs A45?

Apologies if I'm missing anything here, but as I have a selection of packing cubes for my A45, I was looking to see if they were compatible size-wise with the A30. And I'm wondering if the packing cube size comparison box (on the packing cubes page, at the bottom) is showing incorrect info?

The A30 packing cube dimensions given are bigger than those for the A45, which seems a bit odd, even if in some cases maybe only one cube would be used in the A30 instead of two in the A45. In particular, the A30 large cube size is given as 13.4" square by 5.5" thick, but the A30 is only 12.6" tall by the official measurements.

What's going on? Me<-CoNfUsEd!
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

And a quick supplementary question - would the Pilot fit in an A30 centre compartment? Darcy? Anyone?
    eWalker likes this.
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

I noticed that and asked the same question in the earlier A30 forum. I didn't get a response, so I sent an email to the TB staff this morning. Still waiting for that reply.
    eWalker likes this.

That is very strange. I sent a question to the customer service asking about the dimensions, and they sent me the link. Indeed:

The small packing cube dimensions are:
    Aeronaut 30: 13.4" x 6.7" x 5.5"
    Aeronaut 45: 13.4" x 6.7" x 4.3"

and the large packing cube dimensions are:
    Aeronaut 30: 13.4" x 13.4" x 5.5"
    Aeronaut 45: 13.4" x 13.4" x 4.3"

That's very strange! It means that the Aeronaut 30, which is supposedly smaller than the 45, has packing cubes of the same height and width, and they are actually thicker. I sent a follow up question - hopefully this will be resolved by tomorrow.
    Hawaii and eWalker like this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I noticed the same and...

end pocket packing cube dimensions are:
    Aeronaut 30: 13.4" x 8.7" x 4.7"
    Aeronaut 45: 13.4" x 7.9" x 3.1"

So all the A30 packing cubes are thicker and the end cube is also taller!

This is strange indeed but also means that we can use the A45 cubes in the A30 with slack!

Curious to see The Crew answer to that!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Just musing but perhaps the dimensions in the A30 are due to masterful tweaks in the way the bag is put together. I noticed that the A30 has a beautiful curved quality of the main flap that (plus lovely new seams in the bag overall) that seem different from the A45 (even considering the size difference). Not sure if that's it, though.
    eWalker likes this.

I am really surprised that no one has tried to link this to TARDIS technology yet
    Holly and eWalker like this.

Chameleon circuit, perhaps?
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Just musing but perhaps the dimensions in the A30 are due to masterful tweaks in the way the bag is put together. I noticed that the A30 has a beautiful curved quality of the main flap that (plus lovely new seams in the bag overall) that seem different from the A45 (even considering the size difference). Not sure if that's it, though.
    Hmmm... Maybe we're too used to having packing cubes fit exactly in their intended bags. The Aeronaut is a duffel after all, perhaps the design of the packing cube is intended to make the sides bulge out a little? At 12.6" for the Aeronaut's side and 13.4" for the packing cube, we're looking at about 0.4" bulging on both sides, that's not so bad right?
    The pushing out of the sides would cause the top to sort of 'collapse' or move down a little towards the body, so you get a wider but flatter Aeronaut. Does that make sense?
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Hmmm... Maybe we're too used to having packing cubes fit exactly in their intended bags. The Aeronaut is a duffel after all, perhaps the design of the packing cube is intended to make the sides bulge out a little?
    That maybe the case... The A45 was designed to be the maximum size, so it can not bulge, otherwise it will not fit and since the A30 is smaller it may expand a bit!

That is a good hypothesis!

I received an email that they were looking into this.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Matthew's Avatar
    Hi everyone, thanks for you patience as we got this figured out! The previous Aeronaut 45 Packing Cube measurements were based on their patterns -- theoretical measurements. The Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube measurements were based on filling and measuring the actual cubes. We've decided that the latter method is more accurate, and here's the newly updated Aeronaut 45 Packing Cube measurements:

Small: 13.8" x 6.9" x 5.9" (350 x 175 x 150 mm) Vol - 8.3L
    End Pocket: 13.8" x 7.5" x 4.5" (350 x 195 x 110 mm) Vol -7.5L
    Large: 13.8" x 13.8" x 5.9" (350 x 350 x 150 mm) Vol - 17.6L

The previous published numbers for the Aeronaut 30 are accurate based on this new method. Hope that helps everyone out!
    -Matthew

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man." - Ric Flair

Volunteer Moderator
    @Matthew Thanks for the reply, and is there an answer to @PaulT00"s question about the Pilot fit? (although it would take up a lot of room if packed inside, based on the experience of the A45)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    And a quick supplementary question - would the Pilot fit in an A30 centre compartment? Darcy? Anyone?
    moriond
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    The Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube measurements were based on filling and measuring the actual cubes. We've decided that the latter method is more accurate
    That is GREAT!! May I ask you what method was used to measure the volume of the PCSB & PCBP?

Hope that helps everyone out!
    Certainly!! I always thought that those measures didnīt match because the sum of the PC configurations would not come remotely close of the bag volume! There was just too much slack space to be reasonable!!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-04-2014 at 05:39 AM.

Hi everyone, thanks for you patience as we got this figured out! The previous Aeronaut 45 Packing Cube measurements were based on their patterns -- theoretical measurements. The Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube measurements were based on filling and measuring the actual cubes.Small:
    Matthew, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense and sounds like a better way to measure.

However, are the measurements for the Tristar packing cubes done using the same methodology?

Basically I am trying to decide whether to sell one of my two A45s (Indigo and Nordic, long story) to get an A30. I would like something slightly smaller thaI tried using Western Flyer/Tristar but my size 13 shoes did not fit. It appears that the A30 is 0.6 inches longer in the relevant dimension but I want to be certain that it is an apples to apples comparison.
    eWalker likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0