Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack suitable for kids?

Daylight Backpack suitable for kids?

Hi all,
    Just wondering what your thoughts are whether the Daylight Backpack would be a good fit for 6 year old? I would love to get a French Blue one for my son (his favourite colour) but I am concern that the shoulder straps may be too wide for his shoulders and there are no chest straps to keep them secured. Thanking you in advance...

Cheers,
    WenV

That is a good question. I do not how patient you are, but I ordered a Daylight Backpack today and when its here I can try it out on a 7 and 5 year old. But I have to say it takes about a week and a half or so for parcels form Tom Bihn to reach me.

As an afterthought: it might be possible to transfer the chest straps from another backpack?
    maverick and WenV like this.

Hi IIkyway,
    Thanks for your great suggestions and offer to demo the bag on your girls. That would be wonderful! I didn't think the chest straps would fit as the attachments are for a much narrower (1 inch) strap compared to the shoulder straps on the Daylight...but it would be great if there was a workaround.

I think I can wait a few days to see how the bag fits your girls. I guess the good thing is my son can always grow into the backpack.
    Ilkyway likes this.

I would think you could sew on a length of thinner webbing on top of the existing strap to act as a connection point for the chest straps pretty easily. (just like the anchor points that are there on the synapse or brain bag, etc.)
    WenV and Ilkyway like this.

WenV you are right, I did not think this through. But maybe luvdabags is onto something there. I will look into this when the pack is here. Hopfully someone in the USA will beat me to it, so that we will gather more infos and ideas about this bag in general and chest-strap-abbility/Children's fit in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    I would think you could sew on a length of thinner webbing on top of the existing strap to act as a connection point for the chest straps pretty easily. (just like the anchor points that are there on the synapse or brain bag, etc.)
    Great idea except I don't think I have the talent to sew something like that... It would be great if this could be done in production.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I just thought this would be a great travel/carry on bag for my son due to the light weight, and even as a swim /beach bag for summer. Also it would be a perfect excuse... I mean reason...to try out this new backpack. I'm tempted to buy two, the other in Black Dyneema as a packing cube daypack.

Ilkyway likes this.

You could always just tie a ribbon or bandanna around the straps to act as a sternum strap, I do this with some packs (PCBP) so they are more comfy.

@haraya that's a great idea too! I may have to try this if the straps are too wide for his shoulders as an interim measure.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    I might email Darcy directly to enquire about this chest strap attachment on the shoulder straps, whether this could be added on for future production runs. It would be a great solution for ensuring good fit for smaller persons.

Ilkyway likes this.

I took a look at my PCBP, thanks for the hint haraya, and there is no way to secure the sternum strap without any alteration. But you would not need much webbing material And a Child would not need the whole length of the shoulder strap. So one could, with enough courage, cut of a short bit of the ends of the shoulder-straps (the smaler part at the end fits the sternum strap) and sew this onto the wider part. (As in luvdabags idea). The material is thin enough so that even a normal sewing mashine might be able to do the job. I hope someone with more sewing experience might want to venture an opinion?

But before we take the sizers out: maybe the layout of the bag is so balanced that it works for Children too. So lets wait and see that before cutting perfectly innocent Backpacks... (putting my BIG sizers bag in the drawer and wiping the eavel glee from my face...).

Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 07-01-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    WenV likes this.

Yes, I would hate to disfigure any TB bags with my incompetent sewing /alterations skills 😉

Maybe you could loop a Long Key Strap into the backpack straps then tie it onto itself.

Or clip two triangle clips on each shoulder strap then affix a Key Strap to each, that time a Short Key Strap.

Or clip one triangle clip into each backpack strap and link them to each other.

It depends how wide the torso of your son is.

@backpack thanks for your suggestions... I like the first suggestion. I'm thinking the fewer the hardware on the shoulder straps the more comfortable it would be to wear the chest straps.

Oh, I meant to add that my son is quite slender in stature and would be quite narrow in the torso. He's also quite skinny and any hard objects would stick sorely if he was only wearing a light T-shirt under the backpack. This is a likely scenario for when we travel overseas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0