Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By icebeng
  • 3 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 3 Post By tpnl

Thread: Guardian Light: Submersible?

Guardian Light: Submersible?

Another kayaking question:

Does anyone know the specs of the Guardian Light; i.e., waterproof to x # of feet?
    If it is not waterproof I may take it anyway (night kayaking on the 4th of July), in an airtight bag, but will need to find a second flashlight.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Do you have the older or newer model?
    I referred to the manufacturer's website, but they only showed specifications for the older model.
    Adventure Lights - 300 feet
    The newer model is found here, but did not mention how far you can submerge it, only that it is waterproof.
    Adventure Lights

ETA: I'm basing the older and newer models on looks alone, it may not be 100% accurate since they don't mark them as TB products.
    Last edited by icebeng; 06-29-2014 at 07:25 AM.

To further backup @icebeng, the review in the below link states that the Tom Bihn version is waterproof to 300 feet:

The Tom Bihn Guardian Dual Function Light Review

Also, from what I understand, there are 2 version - a Military Spec version and a regular version (see the last part of the description of the TB website). You cannot normally get the Military Spec version except through the TB website (or if you are military or law-enforcement of course).

Either way, I would say the TB version is waterproof to 300 feet.

Have fun kayaking!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

OK, thanks, this is very helpful. So, if I understand correctly, the Guardian light I have is the Military Spec version?

I think this can be a trusted light for night-kayaking in that it would let other boaters see me. That's currently the purpose I use it for in walking home in the winter (letting the drivers know I'm there).
    I plan to pair it with a headlamp that should help in navigating.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Yes - if you bought your Guardian Light from Tom Bihn, it is the Military / Law-Enforcement spec light (waterproof to 300 feet). I think you can rely on it as a light for making sure others can see you in the water. Perhaps even test its basic waterproofness beforehand by submerging it in water?

Cheer!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0