Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Saltwater versus Synapse

Saltwater versus Synapse

Any thoughts on cleaning a completely salt-encrusted dyneema Synapse? Fun but unfortunate kayaking trip on the Boston harbor.
    eWalker likes this.

I'd put it in a warm shower for a while and just rinse the daylight's out of it. I wouldn't use any kind of soap unless the rinse only doesn't work. I'd also air dry it. The warm water should dissolve the salt. Would love to see before and after photos. Did you tip the kayak?
    WenV and Ilkyway like this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Thanks. Nope, just a sea kayak. I didn't realize how different (splashier) it is than river kayaking. I need to get a dry bag for next time.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I've never done anything but sea kayaking. I didn't know there was a difference either. We don't have a lot of rivers here but we've got an awful lot of sea water.

You could try soaking your bag for a few hours in a tub of water and then rinsing it out. (That's the recommended treatment for removing salt water from a leather bag)
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego stripes in cool fabrics or w/ seat belt buckle, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Any thoughts on cleaning a completely salt-encrusted dyneema Synapse? Fun but unfortunate kayaking trip on the Boston harbor.
    I would go with @moose 's advice and afterwards use some Nikwax http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/NIKWAX.html

HTH
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Thanks again. I will try it today!

@Moose, I should clarify. It would have been more accurate to say that I was in a kayak without any hatches in which to store my bag. I had a rental, which was the sit-on-top type. Others in our group had their own sea kayaks, which were a much nicer design, where you sit inside the kayak and are protected by a skirt. Theirs also had hatches for storage. Mine had only some bungee to lash the pack to, and the way it was designed, the water would continuously wash over the boat, me, and my belongings, draining through the holes at the bottom. The water wasn't too choppy, but there were a lot of swells. Even my jeans were completely soaked through, and they will also need to be de-salted.

This was in contrast to the kayaks I'd rented for use on the Charles river (non-rapids), which had higher sides. I was used to stepping out of the boat with myself and my bag bone-dry.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 06-29-2014 at 04:58 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----

Now I understand. The kayaks I've used have been higher sided and skirted, think they were older ones by Wilderness Systems.I can easily see how a sit on type would be a bit damper. Hope the bag recovers.
    Last edited by Moose; 06-29-2014 at 07:40 AM.

I have never been kayaking..this is an irrational fear of me of flipping and hanging upside down drowning....
    Ilkyway likes this.

Vivelly, the recreational kayaks you would rent are almost impossible to tip. They are meant to be very stable. The biggest annoyance (I found) on the harbor is that my boat was heavy and slow compared to the ones people had bought, and it took a lot of effort to paddle.

Name:  me_kayaking.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  120.2 KB

That's me. You can see that the water was a little choppy. I got plenty wet, but there was no danger of tipping. However we stayed very close to shore, and I would never venture a further distance without proper training, equipment and a more appropriate vessel.

The nice thing about kayaking is that you can navigate in shallow waters, so it's even safer than being on a big boat (IMO), because you can hug the shore.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 06-29-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    ----

Also, rinsing the Synapse in warm water (in the shower) seems to have worked. Will Nikwax in a day or two. Given its travels through the Middle Eastern deserts last year I'm sure it needed the wash anyway.

@Moose, I did not take photos because the salt was not that obvious visually; mostly I could see it along the zipper seams and the backpack straps. I knew it was there and might corrode the fabric though.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post
    I have never been kayaking..this is an irrational fear of me of flipping and hanging upside down drowning....
    If you are in a kayak meant for open water you'd have to work pretty hard to tip it upside down. They are quite stable. If you take a big enough wave it can happen but one little push and you'd basically fall out. With your PFD you'd just pop right to the surface. You can stay in one and right it, I've seen it done but never personally pulled it off.

What I hate is paddling against the tides. That's exhausting after a couple of hours.

Glad I spotted this. Im currently soaking my s25 in hot water. Finally saw traces of white/salt on the zipper areas - yikes!!! And I noticed it last week whilst on a 6-day expoloration which required semi extensive exposure to seawater and rainwater. Just got home for a couple of hours and I was itching to soak it S25 badly needs a bath. I hope it works.

Anybody ever tried using dishwashing liquid on your bags? Always effective on other bags but not sure about my s25. Thought I'd ask. Thanks!

er..... how hot is that water, roadpotato???
    you're not poaching the S25, I hope?

Rinsing in warm water was sufficient for mine; maybe do that first, dry it, and then decide if you need to do anything further.
    ----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0