• 2 Post By fdiaz64
  • 3 Post By Badger
  • 4 Post By KatrinkaWinkle
  • 2 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By jess
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: Opinions about purchasing a Packing Cube Backpack

Opinions about purchasing a Packing Cube Backpack

I'm thinking of buying a packing cube backpack but the thing is I don't have any of the bags they're designed to fit in (i.e. Tristar, Western Flyer or Aeronaut). BUT I do plan on getting one of those eventually. I think I'd probably lean toward a TS WF but I really couldn't say for sure that I wouldn't size up to an Aeronaut. So the question is, which do you all think would be more flexible? I'm thinking the PCBP for the TS/WF would give me more options since it's the smaller of the two but would that fit well in an Aeronaut if I end up getting one of those? And yes the obvious answer would be to wait until I decide which larger bag I'm going to buy but that won't be for months or maybe even a year (I have no immediate travel plans) and by that time black and nordic dyneema will be long gone. Yes, you assumed that correctly--I'm buying this because of fabric and color, not because I need it. At all. I have a problem...
    Hollie and scribe like this.

I tried both the TS/WF backpack and the Aeronaut one. I preferred the TS/WF only because I don't carry all that much. If I put the SE in the bottom pocket of the Aeronaut backpack, it fit, but then I didn't have much in the top, just a sweatshirt & jacket and a few items, and it slouched more than if I packed up the TS/WF. I think it all depends on what you prefer. I also like the diagonal line across the back of the TS/WF pack. I don't know why, it's not logical, I just like it. I can't remember if the Aeronaut backpack was all that much larger than the TS/WF. I returned it. I'm about 5'2 and both were comfortable on me.

I have an Aeronaut and the TS/WF fits just fine in the main section. I use it laying flat as the bottom layer if I'm actually packing clothes in it, and I have some smaller cubes that I put on top of that. I have some EBags packing cubes that I use. I don't travel that much, and I already had them before I discovered TB.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Thanks Karen! That's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for because I sort of like the diagonal zipper too Now just to choose between black and nordic. hmmmmmmm
    eWalker likes this.

I agree with the preference for the 'look' of the TS/WF PCBP. I have 2: UV and NORDIC. I also have all the larger bags they were designed for (A45, TS, WF). I only use packing cubes with the TS/WF because they lend themselves to greater organization. My Aeronaut strategy is 'all in'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hollie and jess like this.

I bought a TS/WF backpack cube recently and took it with me on a mostly business trip to China. I used the PCBP as a packing cube in a rollerboard suitcase. It worked great for this purpose. I carried my 13" MacBook Pro in a cache in my Imago during days when I was working. But I carried the PCBP for tourist outings. I was surprised by how comfortable it was to carry, both slightly and moderately loaded. It does tend to slouch a bit, but that bothered me much less than I thought it would. I made a lot of use of the main pocket o-ring, partly because I didn't notice the front pocket o-ring until later in the trip. Because colleagues gave me a number of bulky gifts during the trip, I checked the rollerboard on the way back and used the PCBP as my carry-on and the Imago as my personal item.

What surprised me most about the WF/TS PCBP is how well it works when carried on one shoulder in front while in crowded areas. (Imagine putting the backpack on your front, rather than your back, and then removing one shoulder strap.). Because the zippers go all the way down the sides of the back, I did tend to secure the zippers with a small locking not-really-a-carabiner thing.
    Last edited by snowbot; 06-25-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Because the zippers go all the way down the sides of the back, I did tend to secure the zippers with a small locking not-really-a-carabiner thing.
    Great info and even greater idea. I wouldn't have thought of that until something bad happened. Thanks!
    eWalker likes this.

I bought a TS/WF PCBP because I could put a vertical Freudian Slip in it. I used the PCBP last spring as a packing cube in my Smart Alec and it worked well.

I bought an Aeronaut PCBP solely because it was 400d. (Thanks Janine) I've used it as a beach bag and in a non Tom Bihn luggage bag as packing cube as well. The material is awesome. I would recommend not missing out on the 400d production runs on these. If I could justify it I would get a TS/WF PCBP in black 400d. Already have a black PCSB. Definitely need to get some kind of zipper cord silencer for the PCBP. It's a little noisy without the para cord in my experience.
    eWalker and jess like this.

This may sound excessive but you could always get both colors. I have two TS PCBPs and I've found that having both is handy when I'm taking a long trip. I can put clothes or whatever in the two backpacks and then put one pack in the front compartment and one in the back; this leaves the middle compartment free for shoes and toiletries and other stuff. The TS can get quite wide using this method but since I do a lot of car travel it hasn't bothered me.

The same effect could be achieved with two packing cubes or one cube and one pack, but I kind of like having my two backpacks. And, as snowbot mentioned, they work surprisingly well as light daypacks so if you're traveling with someone else, you could each use one at your destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't decide between uv and nordic, so now I have both
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    I'm buying this because of fabric and color, not because I need it. At all. I have a problem...
    I need more details please. What exactly is the problem again?
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I need more details please. What exactly is the problem again?
    Moose
    Perhaps I should have said I'm growing a collection and my husband thinks I have a problem
    Moose likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Perhaps I should have said I'm growing a collection and my husband thinks I have a problem
    @jess You should read the responses to @Moose's thread Clearing out and a possible problem in terms of identifying the "problem". I liked the reply from @taminca best.

Gotta keep the proper perspective.

moriond
    eWalker and jess like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0