Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Parapack: does it hold up over time comported to Cordura and Dyneema

Parapack: does it hold up over time comported to Cordura and Dyneema

TB newbie, here.

To all you veterans of this website and company: Could you tell me about your experience with the Parapack fabric and how it holds up over time comported to Cordura?

I am considering like a small cafe bag and S19 backpack. I have a long haired dog and grey cat, so resistance to pet hair is important.

I also need bag to be light weight to start off with. I love grey, and blue but navy picks up light colored dog and cat fur like nobody's business and black -- you don't want to know.

Is dyneema strong? would a whole back pack of it be squishy and floppy? Does the side effect in dyneema really only work as a packing bag?

Thanks!
    eWalker likes this.

Found the story: in his own words:

The Story behind 420 Denier High Tenacity
    eWalker likes this.

Regarding pet hair, I found this pretty cute entry lol
    The Fur Test - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

Parapack: does it hold up over time comported to Cordura and Dyneema

Nope, dyneema S19s aren't floppy because the bag has a lot of piping and pockets that prop up the fabric. I have a Steel 400/Steel 200 S19 and find it plenty structured

I am wondering about the long term durability of parapack vs cordura, though. A number of posts on parachuting forums suggest that parapack needs more babying to maintain its appearance and overall, isn't as tough as cordura. But I don't know how true this is of TB parapack. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-23-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

I can't call myself a veteran, but...

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    To all you veterans of this website and company: Could you tell me about your experience with the Parapack fabric and how it holds up over time comported to Cordura?
    You've found the article, so that answers most of your questions. I'll add that Parapack is prone to water-spotting, but you can clean it easily enough with a damp cloth.

Is dyneema strong? would a whole back pack of it be squishy and floppy? Does the side effect in dyneema really only work as a packing bag?
    Yes, dyneema is strong - the reason for the grid pattern is that the dyneema itself (the thicker white threads) can't be dyed. Bags made from it are certainly more squishy than ballistic nylon or cordura, but AFAIK lots of people use dyneema Side Effects as normal bags, not as packing cubes. In fact on smaller bags the squishiness is less of an issue, IMHO.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

thanks for the link. read it and its imbedded test and laughed out loud. going to do my own fur test when my first parapack order comes.

concerned about spotting and water isssue though. we get a fair amount of rain in NE. Nothing like Seattle, but I don't want to be babying my bags. so maybe dyneema is the way to go. the pet fur issue ain't no joke with this one around:

Name:  my name is fluffy and I love snow.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  755.2 KB

concerned about spotting and water isssue though. we get a fair amount of rain in NE.
    Hey, I live in the UK - you don't need to tell me about rain!

I've used my parapack S19 every weekday since early March and seen only a tiny amount of spotting. It's not like it ruins the bag, I just thought it was worth pointing out.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

thanks for the link. read it and its imbedded test and laughed out loud. going to do my own fur test when my first parapack order comes.

concerned about spotting and water isssue though. we get a fair amount of rain in NE. Nothing like Seattle, but I don't want to be babying my bags. so maybe dyneema is the way to go. the pet fur issue ain't no joke with this one around:

Name:  my name is fluffy and I love snow.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  755.2 KB
    I have only used my olive parapack S19 nearly daily for a few months (short trial), but it has seen a good amount of Seattle rain, and it still looks new without spotting so far. I actually think it is less likely to show pet hair than my dyneema Smart Alec, since there seems to be more texture to the dyneema to pick up fur, versus the smooth parapack surface. Neither really seems to have an issue with pet fur on the main surfaces, but I tend to not leave them on the floor for my furry critters to wool them too often. Of course, with your beautiful dog's coloring, if you had a black or steel dyneema pack, any fur might not be noticeable. Just my two cents!
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 06-23-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

Regarding pet hair, here are my thoughts, I'll list my most to least likley to attract it. I live with, a more or less, now short haired dog and I serve a cat.
    MOST: cordura
    Ballistic nylon
    Parapack
    LEAST: dyneema
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I'll add this note, for what it's worth. When I first saw the Dyneema larger bag offerings, I found them to look gaudy on the computer. I said to myself, "I'll never order one of those!" and then promptly ordered my Cordura Synapse 19. I then traveled to visit my mother-in-law. Because of her back, she had ordered the very same bag in Nordic Dyneema. I sat those bags side by side and looked at them together. As much as I loved (and still do) my navy Cordura, her bag was gorgeous! I would LOVE to have one in Nordic, but because I have the Cordura and money isn't flush, I'll be content with the one I do have. It has served me well now for quite some time (almost two years).

BUT, I will say this. I now own a Nordic Western Flyer, Pilot, Side Effect, Large Shop Bag, Travel Tray, and Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Surely that must tell you something about how I feel about the Dyneema fabrics. And Nordic isn't the only color I have. I also have a Steel Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Iberian Travel Tray. I may be missing a few items. My inventory has grown quite a lot over the past couple of years!

I don't have nearly as much parapack as it just doesn't sing to me like the Dyneema fabrics do. I am expecting a steel/UV Side Effect to be shipped any day now, and I have some pouches and my Small and Medium Cafe Bags are lined with the fabric, but that's about it. I know some people absolutely love the fabric. I'm looking forward to my Side Effect to have an opportunity to try it out in a smaller bag.

I agree 100% with Mausermama. At first I thought dyneema was just too busy, then when my aeronaut arrived I fell in love with the lining. I think from here on out I will only order dyneema or ballistic fabrics. Those are just my favorite, especially the dyneema. I think it should be considered a signature TB fabric. The parapack underwhelms me. I have a steel Parapack LCB and it just gets too dirty too quickly. I've hardly been using it and probably need to sell/swap it.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Dirty? can you say more about parapack wearing as it ages? heard it scuffs. have to say dyneema is very odd but I got a travel tray just to see what it was and it's cool. Don't know how a whole bag of it would be--- awfully busy?

I have a Olive parapack SE that I use as a camera bag. Have dragged this SE through several baseball stadiums, restaurants, parks and airports in many cities. The fabric has held up great for me. Have attached a pic of the Olive SE next to my Navy Pilot. Name:  IMG_1590.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  1.03 MB
    Last edited by heparker; 06-24-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Forrest Green Tri-Star, Navy/Solar PILOT, w/13" MBA cache, Large Shop Bag, various colorful pouches, straps, sacks, 3D mesh, large Dyneema org. cubes and Olive SE. Black Dyneema Daylight BP. As always, more TB stuff on order!

Quote Originally Posted by heparker View Post
    I have a Olive parapack SE that I use as a camera bag. Have dragged this SE through several baseball stadiums, restaurants, parks and airports in many cities. The fabric has held up great for me. Have attached a pic of the Olive SE next to my Navy Cordura Pilot.
    You seem to have some kind of funky paracord going on there on your SE - care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom
    Dirty? can you say more about parapack wearing as it ages? heard it scuffs.
    No scuffs on my parapack items. I dump my S19 on the ground at least once a day, and the base is pristine. If you're really rough on it, it's not going to stand up to wear'n'tear like ballistic nylon, but in everyday use it's just fine.

Put it this way - now I have a TB bag, I really notice scuffs and loose threads on my colleagues' backpacks when we're queuing for the bus. Some of them might be old bags, but mostly I think they're just inferior materials and workmanship.
    Collections:

Uh 0h bag snobbery...but now that I know what to look for, I have been examining seams on my ahem, other products. some are good: timbuk2 and eagle creek but I think TB's designs are so cool looking. I just wish I could get black cordura again but not with a white fluffy dog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast