Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By markwill
  • 1 Post By ilikepie
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By dephyingra
  • 3 Post By markwill

Thread: Confused about Aeronaut material options

Confused about Aeronaut material options

I bought a steel Aeronaut a few weeks ago from the Tom Bihn store. It's in Dyneema and the lighter material was a key factor in my decision. I am now looking for an Aeronaut for my wife now. We are traveling to Italy in September and I have two potential problems.

First, she also wants Dyneema but, looking at the Tom Bihn site, it seems the only option is in black? Is this accurate? There's no other option in Dyneema any more (even the steel one I have isn't available)? Sadly, she wants something a little more "interesting" than black.

Secondly, timing could be an issue. We leave mid-September. That leaves little buffer (a two week delay would mess up the whole plan with the Aeronaut). I've read somewhere that Tom Bihn plays it conservative with its ship estimates. But that's something of a worry for us now.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know if it is indeed true that black is our only option if she wants a Aeronaut in Dyneema. Being my dear wife, she said she doesn't want it if black is the only option But she does need the size of the Aeronaut. So - tricky....

Thanks.

Mark

Options are limited right now as they deal with a backorder situation. There are some dyneema colors (Nordic and steel, I believe), which are being phased out. Hopefully they will be replaced with new colors soon! If you do decide to order the Aeronaut in black dyneema, I would place the order soon to be sure it arrives in late August. Then you could always cancel if you find a different option.

There are other brands that produce bags in a similar size and functionality -- which I won't list here because it isn't really appropriate -- that you could look into for your upcoming trip.

You can also try calling Tom Bihn directly (on Monday) to ask if they have had any returns. Sometimes there is one bag available that isn't listed on the web site.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Is she after the lighter weight or does she like the Dyneema pattern? I went with the ballistic partly because it's tougher and partly because I liked the color choices better, but I know that weight is more important to some people and some airlines. It's worth noting that black Dyneema is nothing like boring, corporate black, plus she can jazz it up with colorful new zipper pulls - there are plenty of recommendations in the forum for different methods including a recent one complete with video. Searching "paracord zipper pull" will give her plenty of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    Is she after the lighter weight or does she like the Dyneema pattern? I went with the ballistic partly because it's tougher and partly because I liked the color choices better, but I know that weight is more important to some people and some airlines. It's worth noting that black Dyneema is nothing like boring, corporate black, plus she can jazz it up with colorful new zipper pulls - there are plenty of recommendations in the forum for different methods including a recent one complete with video. Searching "paracord zipper pull" will give her plenty of ideas.
    It's the weight that is the primary factor. She loves the lightness of my (steel) Dyneema Aeronaut. We ended up ordering the black Dyneema last night. That's a pretty big deal - the idea of one bag travel for our 25th anniversary trip in September is a HUGE breakthrough for my wife . It will be interesting to see how the black looks in Dyneema. She's still a bit disappointed there are not other choices though.

Thanks the pointers, binje.

Mark
    binje likes this.

Maybe let her use the Steel on this trip?
    vivelly likes this.

And maybe, just maybe, there will be a stunning new color announcement at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by markwill View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the black looks in Dyneema. She's still a bit disappointed there are not other choices though.
    If she really doesn't like it, you could always try to sell it on eBay or swap it on the forums - TB bags hold their value well, and dyneema bags seem to be popular owing to their light weight.

Or maybe with practice your wife can downsize even further, e.g. to a TriStar. We have a whole thread here about capsule wardrobes for travelling light with style, and lots of other tips for carrying small quantities of toiletries, etc.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by markwill View Post
    It's the weight that is the primary factor. She loves the lightness of my (steel) Dyneema Aeronaut. We ended up ordering the black Dyneema last night. That's a pretty big deal - the idea of one bag travel for our 25th anniversary trip in September is a HUGE breakthrough for my wife . It will be interesting to see how the black looks in Dyneema. She's still a bit disappointed there are not other choices though.

Thanks the pointers, binje.

Mark
    @markwill Ordering the Black Dyneema Aeronaut last night was a good idea, because they really are out of the other color options. (I called this morning to check again on the availability of Nordic Dyneema in any of the Pocket Pouches, and also asked about other 400d Dyneema availability -- specifically your Aeronaut options. @GoStanford beat me to posting about the lack of Nordic Pocket Pouches, but I thought I would mention that they really don't have other 400d Dyneema Aeronaut color options available right now.)

I know that you made a trip to the Tom Bihn Store in May, but has your wife actually seen Black Dyneema, for example, in the Side Effect? It is much more impressive than you might think, seen in person (as compared to photographs), especially when viewed with the contrasting Wasabi interior that makes it easy to find packed items. I have the Steel Dyneema / Wasabi Synapse 25 backpack (April 2013), and when Black Dyneema was released in the Fall, I got the Side Effect in 400d Black Dyneema/Wasabi Dyneema and was surprised by how much I liked this, and went on to order a Little Swift and then a Pilot in this color. (For the record, I have bags in all three color versions of 400d Dyneema, although until the Pilot, all my travel bags which include the Aeronaut, Tri-Star, and Western Flyer, had been in Ballistic Nylon).

HTH moriond
    dorayme likes this.

Cool deal. Maybe we will bump into you. My wife and I are headed to Italy the second and third weeks of September. We settled early on one-bagging our trips over the past few years and carry less and less as we get more tuned.

I did coerce :-) her into using a Aeronaut by getting a Nordic dyneema bags but I love my black dyneema AN as well. We have slowly migrated to all dyneema except for my Western Flyer.

Good luck and enjoy Italy.
    moriond likes this.

Thanks for all the responses - good suggestions and comments. Given the comments, my wife is a little more comfortable with the black and how that will look. Having places the order on Sunday, I did - as suggested - call Tom Bihn yesterday just in case something came up. Sure enough, I got a call back this morning saying that a steel (Dyneema) Aeronaut was available I absolutely love how they remembered my call and took the time to call me. That said - woman!! I called the wife and she said she's OK with the black over the steel. She's concerned about a "matching husband and wife" team walking through airports looking oh-so-coordinated!

I am still hoping some non-black (and, now, non-steel) Dyneema comes in before the end of August though

Dephyingra, have a great trip yourself.

Binje - "stunning new color announcement". You can't do that!! I'm all a-fluster now!!

Ilikepie - she's not having my steel Aeronaut!!! Love her and all that but, ya know - that's MY Aeronaut

Mark

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0