Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Ego vs Super Ego

Ego vs Super Ego

I am torn between these 2 for my daily use. I work in an office setting with a daily commute on public buses to and from work. On some days, I visit the gym too, so the bag needs to be able to fit in my gym attire, fresh set of tshirt and shorts, towel and my running shoes. All these on top of my daily stuff like my ipad mini, 2 cellphones, portable external battery, water bottle, etc. I don't carry a laptop. Do you reckon the small ego will be big enough?

Or should I wait for the Super Ego to be available again? Unfortunately I don't live in the States so I can't goto the shop and have a look.
    eWalker likes this.

The States is a big country. Most of us can't go to the store either.

(Sorry I can't help with your decision—no experience with those bags.)

@aquaris85

Can you expand a bit on your daily carry requirements - Any other large bulky item beyond what is in your post?

Cheers
    eWalker likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    @aquaris85

Can you expand a bit on your daily carry requirements - Any other large bulky item beyond what is in your post?

Cheers
    Hi ilikepie and tpnl, thanks for replying!

Other the items i listed out, my every day carry include:

1. ipad mini
    2. plastic water bottle. i've always stuck my bottle into my current bag's main compartment as it doesn't have a side water bottle pouch.
    3. portable external battery. slim kind, kind of like those slim type external hard drive
    4. spectacle case. i always carry my spare pair of glasses with me.
    5. soft/ hardcover book. the big format kind because new books always publish in that size.
    6. smaller knick knacks like my office access pass, earbuds in its own small pouch, at least 3 packets of kleenax (nose allergy), candy.

i guess the bulkiest item that will go into the bag will be my running shoes and the plastic water bottle. the ipad mini should be svelte enough to go into the front compartment.

my current bag is the crumpler barney rustle blanket (M) . it has served me so well since college and is built to last. however it doesn't have fantastic organisation and cannot fit my pair of running shoes in comfortably; i have to use a separate shoe bag. plus it is a bright red colour which doesn't suit my office attire of business shirt and tie. but the messenger style is sooo convenient as I take the public buses to and from work and it allows me to access my stuff easily.

hope this paints a better picture! i am so afraid of the super ego being too big for my stature. i'm not a tall guy, just 5'3 - 5'4 asian dude.

thanks much!
    eWalker likes this.

Ego Dimensions: 15.3" x 13.3" x 6.3" / 390 x 340 x 160 mm

Super Ego Dimensions: 17" x 14.5" x 6.75" / 435 x 370 x 175 mm

The Super Ego's dimensions are just a little bigger than the Ego's, capacity is a difference of 4 liters though, Super Ego's 27 versus the Ego's 23.

Do you foresee yourself having to carry more than what you listed?
    Just wanted to throw in a reminder that the strap upgrades are pretty good. Absolute for heavy loads, Q-AM if you wanted to wear the bag closer to your back.

Not sure if you read this, it's useful information on how much the Ego can hold ^.^
    Super Ego as a Diaper Bag
    eWalker likes this.

I don't have a Super Ego, but I do have an Ego, and it should handle your stuff fine - it's pretty big. The water bottle can go in one of the external bottle holders, and all of the other items in your list could go in the big front pocket, if necessary (though that much stuff would make the bag bulge out), leaving the main compartment for your clothes and shoes. Depending on how much gym stuff you've got, you could probably move the book and/or the bottle into the main compartment.

ETA: I posted some pictures of the Ego in this thread: Requesting more reviews of the Ego.
    Last edited by terayon; 06-21-2014 at 06:35 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

And I don't have an Ego but do have a Super Ego.....Bag that is.

The SE is just a jumbo bag and I think you might find it too big to carry much less bigger than you really need for your list.

I have traveled for 3 days in mine before and I am a bigger guy for sure! Shoes are really the biggest problem for me but I can get them in there too if I need to.

I too think your daily load should fit easily in the front pocket and the bottle holders are great for that job too.

I would also consider the Synapse instead if you can get by with a Backpack instead of a briefcase? It would be more comfortable to carry and would also easily swallow your listed items in either size I think.
    eWalker likes this.

+1 @icebeng - the Q-AM strap is great if you want to travel courier style and it is still good as a regular shoulder strap (almost as good as the Absolute Shoulder Strap).
    +1 @terayon - the pictures you took are fantastic at showing what can fit in the Ego - love the furry "animal" thing with the added gatekeeper hardware!

I tried to replicate you situation and test packed my Ego:

Name:  TB Ego Front.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  528.7 KB

Name:  TB Ego Side 1.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  778.1 KBName:  TB Ego Side 2.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  758.0 KB

Name:  TB Ego Flap Interior.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  769.7 KB

Name:  TB Ego Main Interior.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  820.8 KB

Here is a breakdown of what is in the above Ego:

Main compartment - Gym clothes:
    1) Size 11 running shoes in a Nordic Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (my runners are stability shoes and so have an extra wide base - yours probably will not take up as much space)
    2) Bath towel in a Large Iberian Yarn Stuff Sack (right side)
    3) T-Shirt, Shorts, Underwear and Socks in a Large Iberian Yarn Stuff Sack (left side) (I used 2 Stuff Sacks so you could keep dirty or wet items separated from clean dry ones if needed

Side areas:
    1) Contigo Locking Auto Seal Mug on one side (in place of you plastic water bottle)
    2) Condor Ballistic Nylon Sunglasses / Spectacles case on the other side (you could also put this in the front flap and have a compact umbrella here)

Front compartment:
    1) Keys attached via a 16" TB Key strap so I can pull the keys out and unlock my door without unhooking it from the bag
    2) Accessories in a TB Lead's Pocket (lots of organization there and is like a thin Snake Charmer) - note that I have the Lead's Pocket vertical - normally it would be horizontal and at the bottom
    3) Solar charger battery for my Smartphone / any USB device in one of the Front Compartment organizer pockets
    4) Cell phone in one of the Front Compartment organizer pockets (cannot see it but it is there) - your 2 cellphones could also go in any of the 4 mesh or 2 zippered pockets as well
    5) Travel Kleenex packet (at the bottom of the Front Compartment) - you could put 1 or 2 in the front mesh pockets too if you wanted for easy access
    6) Candy (gum) in front mesh pocket - you can fit lots of snacks anywhere you want
    7) Passcard / earbuds in a Nest case in the quick access zippered right pocket
    8) First Aid Kit in the quick access zippered left pocket

I do not have an ipad mini but it definitely can fit in the Front Flap, Main Compartment or the Back Pocket. If you wanted a padded case, you could put it in the Lead's pocket or even a Medium Padded Pouch - but I would check with the TB crew first on the fit.
    Note also that the Front Compartment is not nearly full so you can put a lot more - like the book you mentioned. The book could also fit in the main compartment or back pocket too.

Compared to the Crumpler Messenger bag you referenced, the Ego is almost twice the volume - so if that bag just met your needs, the Ego should be able to handle a lot more - the Super Ego even more so.

I do not know if you have seen this review (link below) but it shows the Ego and Super Ego on a 5'2" person and another person who is about a foot taller showing the proportions of each bag relative to their height.

Tom Bihn Super Ego and Ego Messenger Bags :: The Gadgeteer

I personally would recommend the Ego as even I, at 5'10", think the Super Ego would be proportionally too big. Someone over 6' tall would be great for the Super Ego. If you do not need the capacity, go with the Ego.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-22-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

These are very helpful posts! I have an Ego and am of - ahem - modest stature so I find these packing guidelines very helpful. The Ego is a tall bag and I can only imagine the Super Ego is more so. When packed it looks more square than rectangular. Thanks for sharing!
    eWalker likes this.

Tpnl, you are a godsend! Your post sold me. So great of you to recreate my packing list!

The lead pocket is a great idea! Didn't think of that. And I noticed the small section beside the vertical zips, the asymmetric pocket, i haven't seen that in any reviews or videos i've watched. That is a great place to stick a phone in!

Now to the next step of stripe selection...and strap selection...and packing cube selection. So I've got a few further questions, hope you don't mind:

1. Are there other packing cubes in the TB line that can fit in a pair of running shoes as well, for use with the Ego? or is it just the shoulder bag packing cube that's great for this? Reason i ask is that I am trying to keep the cost down. my country imposes a 7% tax on purchases above a certain amount. And shipping is costly so i have to be prudent.

2. you mentioned about the q-am strap. q-am strap or absolute strap? i carry by bag exactly like those in the gadgeteer reviews, on my hips just above my butt. i seldom cinch the bag all the way on my back like a backpack. i always carry cross-body, seldom shoulder. do you reckon the absolute will be great for cross-body exclusively as well?

3. Digress a little...how's the contigo bottle? i've read about those but am skeptical about the leakproof-ness of it. I am always wary about complicated water bottle designs because I have a fear that something will fail somewhere and cause it leak. Plus i would guess that because of the cap's design, it might be difficult to clean the cap thoroughly?

thank youuu
    eWalker likes this.

Tpnl you are a godsend. The pictures are perfect. You sold me. Will be getting the Ego very soon. Probably after TB makes its announcements for it new products. New Ego??

Got a few additional questions, bear with me!

1. I didn't see this in reviews and videos before, but there seems to be a small space beside the vertical zips where I can slide in a mobile phone. Am I right?
    2. Are there other TB packing cubes that can hold my running shoes that can fit into the Ego as well? I need to keep the total cost low as my country charges a 7% tax for amounts (including shipping) above a certain price.
    3. I carry my bag exactly like the photos in the gadgeteer review, i.e. cross body slung on the hips. just right above my backside. I don't need to cinch the bag high on my back most of the time. I do alot of walking and standing because I take public transportation. Do you reckon the q-am strap or absolute strap will be best for this? I'm just worried that the wide neoprene padding on the absolute is too wide such that it cuts into my neck when I wear it cross body and walk.

Plus I am also concerned about the longevity of straps. I have had way to many straps on previous messengers that have worn out or broke at the seams. Even a Braun Buffel metal strap wears out at the swiveling bit on the hooks. Not sure if I can explain it properly, but the swiveling bit goes through a lot of swiveling after months of use. The flat metal stopper basically wears out until it slides right out of the hole, disconnecting the whole strap to the clip. I know the Ego uses a strap with a toothed buckle design. Do you reckon it will hold up?

4. Digressing...but is the Contigo bottle good? I only carry water and not coffee or hot beverages. Will it leak and is it easy to clean? I am wary about complicated cap and spout designs as there are more parts to fail and may have hard to reach places for cleaning.

Thank you for any input!
    eWalker likes this.

BTW

Have you looked at an Empire Builder? It is almost the capacity of the Ego (only 0.5 litres less) but still has the same modified messenger bag access style like the Ego (ie. a flap and a separately accessible main compartment that you do not need to open the flap for). I have the smaller Zephyr version and it really is a great business bag. Your Ipad mini could even fit in the zippered front pocket under the flap.

Also, +1 @AVService - the Synapse 25 should meet your carry needs and is sleek enough to be in most Business environments except for the hardcore financial and lawyer worlds. Perfect for areas like IT.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    eWalker likes this.

@tpnl, yes i've looked at the Empire Builder. However I prefer the styling of the Ego much more. The EB is much more professional looking but I also want to bag for casual use too. So the Ego strikes the best balance!.

Funny how my earlier reply was not posted up here. It says it will only be visible after moderation and i replied 8 hours ago, but you managed to get your reply in first. Let me try again.

I wanted to say a big thank you to tpnl for your earlier post and pictures! you're a godsend! Thank you terayon, avservice and gostanford too! I am completely sold on the Ego. Just want to wait till the new products are announced first before i take the plunge. I have just a few additional questions for you.

1. what other packing cubes can fit a pair of running shoes other than the shoulder bag cube? i want to save on cost as my country charges a 7% tax past a certain amount (and the amount includes shipping). That said, is the shoulder bag too "girly" as a shoulder bag? e.g. i feel the side effect looks to much like a lady's purse for guys to use as a shoulder bag or crossbody. what about the shoulder bag cube?
    2. i carry my bag cross body, just like the pictures in the gadgeteer review you pointed out. i.e. crossbody on my hips just above my bum. Q-am or absolute strap? i seldom encounter the need to cinch the bag high on my back and i seldom adjust the length of the strap on the fly. there are so many raving reviews about the absolute strap just i just want to make sure it is just as good if used cross body all the time.

thanks all for your input!
    eWalker likes this.

I do not have an Empire Builder but I tried to fit everything you listed in the my smaller Zephyr (which is about 25% smaller than an Ego or Empire Builder) - and it all fit! ... with some extra space to boot.

Here are some pictures of the loaded Zephyr:

Name:  TB Zephyr - Flap Interior.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  634.8 KBName:  TB Zephyr - Side.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  484.0 KB

Name:  TB Zephyr - Front Interior .jpg
Size:  653.3 KBName:  TB Zephyr - Main Interior.jpg
Size:  810.4 KB

Here is a breakdown of what is in the above Zephyr:

Main compartment:
    1) Size 11 running shoes in a Nordic Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (my runners are stability shoes and so have an extra wide base - yours probably will not take up as much space)
    3) T-Shirt, Shorts, Underwear and Socks in a Large Iberian Yarn Stuff Sack (left side) (I used 2 Stuff Sacks so you could keep dirty or wet items separated from clean dry ones if needed
    4) Voss Glass water bottle - you can fit larger sized water bottles too as the gym clothes are compressible

Back compartment:
    1) A hard cover book - 9.5" x 6.5" by 1" (pulled up from the bottom of the pocket - normally it would be hidden and buried deep down in the full height back pocket) - it can also fit in the main compartment and will fit in the front compartment (tighter fit with the stuff in there already)

Front compartment:
    1) Red hardcover book that is the size of an iPad Mini in the zippered full width pocket
    2) Keys attached via a 16" TB Key strap so I can pull the keys out and unlock my door without unhooking it from the bag
    3) Solar charger battery for my Smartphone / any USB device in one of the Front compartment organizer pockets
    4) Note II Smartphone in one of the Front compartment organizer pockets - your 2nd cellphones could also go in where the battery charger is too or on the front flap pockets as well
    5) Travel Kleenex packet (at the bottom of the Front Compartment but brought up for illustration purposes) - you could put 1 or 2 in the front flap pockets too if you wanted for easy access
    6) Spectacles case
    7) Pen and Pencil

Front Flap:
    1) Candy (gum) and Passcard in zippered vertical pocket
    2) iPod / earbuds in a Nest case / Kleenex in zippered horizontal pocket

You can also fit a water bottle in the open pocket behind the front flap zippered vertical pocket

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-22-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I do not have an Empire Builder but I tried to fit everything you listed in the my smaller Zephyr (which is about 25% smaller than an Ego or Empire Builder) - and it all fit! ... with some extra space to boot.

Here are some pictures of the loaded Zephyr:

Name:  TB Zephyr - Flap Interior.jpg
Size:  634.8 KBName:  TB Zephyr - Side.jpg
Size:  484.0 KB

Name:  TB Zephyr - Front Interior .jpg
Size:  653.3 KBName:  TB Zephyr - Main Interior.jpg
Size:  810.4 KB

Here is a breakdown of what is in the above Zephyr:

Main compartment:
    4) Voss Glass water bottle - you can fit larger sized water bottles too as the gym clothes are compressible

Back compartment:
    1) A hard cover book - 9.5" x 6.5" by 1" - it can also fit in the main compartment and will fit in the front compartment (tighter fit with the stuff in there already)

Front compartment:
    1) Red hardcover book that is the size of an iPad Mini in the zippered full width pocket
    2) Keys attached via a 16" TB Key strap so I can pull the keys out and unlock my door without unhooking it from the bag
    3) Solar charger battery for my Smartphone / any USB device in one of the Front compartment organizer pockets
    4) Note II Smartphone in one of the Front compartment organizer pockets - your 2nd cellphones could also go in where the battery charger is too or on the front flap pockets as well
    5) Travel Kleenex packet (at the bottom of the Front Compartment but brought up for illustration purposes) - you could put 1 or 2 in the front flap pockets too if you wanted for easy access
    6) Spectacles case
    7) Pen and Pencil

Front Flap:
    1) Candy (gum) and Passcard in zippered vertical pocket
    2) iPod / earbuds in a Nest case / Kleenex in zippered horizontal pocket

You can also fit a water bottle in the open pocket behind the front flap zippered vertical pocket

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Holy cow this is making my decision process harder!!
    eWalker likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0