Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Need help to fine tune my “TB Capsule Travel Set”!

  1. #1
    Registered User eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    507

    Need help to fine tune my “TB Capsule Travel Set”!

    I was planning this post for after the debut of the new products, but with the level of excitement building up, I decided to give it an early start!

    Background…

    I first landed on TB site looking for replacement for my Aeronaut and Co-Pilot that I sold to a dear friend after many pleads! My goal at the time was a bag setup that would allow me the maximum carry-on load possible, so I was looking for a 45 liters carry-on plus a 25 liters personal items bag !

    I was looking for something different, even considered some wheeled backpacks and other exotic setups, but after reading sites like One Bag, Snarky Nomad & One Bag, One World (Thanks @Frank II), and the Forumīs posts, I decided to stick with my familiar combo but adding organization plus a Western Flyer as personal items bag.



    My initial TB bag set configuration:

    1. Aeronaut 45 (Black Ballistic/Steel Dyneema)

    1.a. Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (200d Steel Dyneema) – used as end pocket cube for shoes
    1.b. Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) (400d Black Dyneema) – used as Large packing cube for clothes
    1.c. Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) (400d Steel Dyneema) – used as Large packing cube for clothes
    1.d. 3D Clear Organizer Cube (200d Wasabi Dyneema) – for toiletries
    1.e. Travel Tray (200d Wasabi Dyneema)
    1.f. Travel Stuff sacks (200d Wasabi Dyneema)
    1.g. Side Effect (400d Black Dyneema/Wasabi Dyneema) - as seat pocket bag (Thanks @moriond)
    1.g.i. Double Carabiners
    1.g.ii. Clear Organizer Wallet

    2. Co-Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi Dyneema) as travel EDC

    2.a. 3D Fabric Organizer Cube (200d Wasabi Dyneema) – for prescription medicines
    2.b. 3D Mesh Organizer Cube (200d Wasabi Dyneema) – for first aid kit
    2.c. Double Organizer Pouch – for Tea Valet (thanks @taminca)
    2.d. Padded Organizer Pouch – for Samsung NX Mini
    2.e. Lifefactory Glass Water bottle

    3. Western Flyer as Maximum Personal Items Bag

    3.a. Packing Cube Backpack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer) (400d Black Dyneema) - used as Large packing cube
    3.b. Packing Cube Backpack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer) (400d Steel Dyneema) - used as Large packing cube


    Then came the announcement of the Aeronaut 30 and four supercalifragilisticexpialidocious new bags!


    Therefore, I decided to order all the items above except the Western Flyer to wait and see if one of the June surprises would be a better option for personal items bag, but already decided that I wanted an Aeronaut 30 to be part of a two bag setup.

    While I waited for the items on backorder, I kept on reading the blog and Forumīs posts.

    Since I was at ease after my selection of the Aeronaut, I started to look for EDC and didnīt take long to decide on a Pilot because it could do double duty as my laptop bag and a quick trip personal items bag.

    3. Pilot as laptop bag

    3.a. Founder’s Briefcase Packing Wedge (Steel 420d Parapack) – as document holder (Thanks @icebeng)
    3.b. Guide Packīs Lead Pocket (Steel 420d Parapack) – as my TB tech organizer (Thanks @Trailhiker @tpnl)
    3.b.i. Coyote Organizer Pouches
    3.b.ii. Guardian DF Light Original Base
    3.b.iii. Strapeez
    3.c. 3D Fabric Organizer Cube (Steel 420d Parapack) – as a Catch all
    3.d. Cache - Laptop sleeve for Samsung ATIV book 9 Lite
    3.e. Pilot Packing Cubes when using it as personal items bag

    That makes four of the five bags set that I intended to select (Aeronaut 45, Co-Pilot, Aeronaut 30 and Pilot).

    The fifth bag was to be my maximum personal items bag but now is mainly to coordinate with the Aeronaut 30 or Pilot on a two bags configuration. I just canīt decide between the Western Flyer and the Synapse 25!

    I like the fact that the Western Flyer is backpack, briefcase and shoulder bag. But since the Aeronaut has the same flexibility I was thinking that maybe would be best to go with a more comfortable backpack.

    On top of this I canīt decide between black and steel for the last three!
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-18-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added links
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    35
    Nice setup eWalker. Do you have stock in Tom Bihn? I'm not one to talk as I am thinking about addition number six or seven to my TB collection.

    I can say that I have comfortably used the Synapse 19 with the Aeronaut 45 for both business and vacation. Works fine, and is comfortable schlepping it through airports and public transportation.

    I would say that your choice depends upon use, and your own style and preference. Formal business might dictate something more briefcase-like such as the WF. Less formal or vacation, Synapse, especially if there will be a lot of walking around, sightseeing, or other activity that necessitates packing a light jacket or food. I am more fond of the single-large-compartment with smaller organizer pockets approach that the compartmentalization of the Tristar, which I just bought and used on only one trip.

    The Tristar, and I imagine the WF because of its similar configuration, requires more thinking and organization skills to stay on top of everything. This disciplined approach seems to break down when I travel, which leads me to frantic unpacking-packing moments as I search for something I tucked into a corner of a compartment. Usually in an airport or hotel lobby, in a key moment when I am leaving or someone is waiting for me. At least with the one main compartment I have fewer places to search, and I just open it up and peer and feel around inside.

    Good luck with your choice. Oh yes, my major bags--Aeronaut, Tristar and Brainbag--are in steel and my Synapse in navy. I find steel somber enough for serious business situations, like grey and navy suits, but different enough from black to be able to differentiate quickly if I need to. And steel is good at hiding dirt, important in the tropics.
    eWalker likes this.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    147
    Gulp. I'm too busy swooning over your dreamy list to think. Will return to give it actual thought soon. :-)


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Amanda

    Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

  4. #4
    Registered User eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by tdivcr View Post
    Nice setup eWalker. Do you have stock in Tom Bihn? I'm not one to talk as I am thinking about addition number six or seven to my TB collection.
    LOL! Nooo! But certainly I wish I had, thatīs something to be proud of!!

    Quote Originally Posted by tdivcr View Post
    I can say that I have comfortably used the Synapse 19 with the Aeronaut 45 for both business and vacation. Works fine, and is comfortable schlepping it through airports and public transportation.
    At first my intention was to travel with : Aeronaut 45 + Western Flyer 25 = 70 Liters, but now after following so many threads about Minimalism, Capsule wardrobe, Project 333 and decluttering (thanks @scribe @icebeng @monkeylady @dorayme @Ilkyway @backpack @moose) on TB Forum I will most probably go for:

    1. Aeronaut 45
    2. Aeronaut 45 + Co-Pilot
    3. Aeronaut 45 + Pilot
    4. Aeronaut 30 + Western Flyer / Synapse 25
    5. Aeronaut 30 + Co-pilot
    6. Aeronaut 30 + Pilot

    Quote Originally Posted by tdivcr View Post
    I would say that your choice depends upon use, and your own style and preference. Formal business might dictate something more briefcase-like such as the WF. Less formal or vacation, Synapse, especially if there will be a lot of walking around, sightseeing, or other activity that necessitates packing a light jacket or food. I am more fond of the single-large-compartment with smaller organizer pockets approach that the compartmentalization of the Tristar, which I just bought and used on only one trip.
    I am more found of the single-large-compartment too, after all I used the Aeronaut 45 with bundle packing for several years!

    But the internal straps and over all format of the Aeronaut 45 make everything very easy. Thatīs one of the main reasons why I decided to build a two bags setup based on the new Aeronaut 30 without even seen it!

    But after reading the extreme ultralight traveling based on Synapse 25 alone, I was tempted to try:

    7. Aeronaut 30 (only)
    8. Synapse 25 / Western Flyer (only)

    The idea of building a "Capsule Travel Set" was to have a good range of available options to play with and try on. I can even try:

    9. Synapse 25 / Western Flyer + Co-Pilot
    10. Synapse 25 / Western Flyer + Pilot

    Quote Originally Posted by tdivcr View Post
    The Tristar, and I imagine the WF because of its similar configuration, requires more thinking and organization skills to stay on top of everything. This disciplined approach seems to break down when I travel, which leads me to frantic unpacking-packing moments as I search for something I tucked into a corner of a compartment. Usually in an airport or hotel lobby, in a key moment when I am leaving or someone is waiting for me. At least with the one main compartment I have fewer places to search, and I just open it up and peer and feel around inside.
    I see your point! It not so hard to start organized but it can be hard to stay organized on the road. My guess is that it get easier the less you carry. I am willing to try this approach but I not sure how long it will take to settle this into new habits!

    I love the "stealth" look of the Synapse but I am sooo tempted by the various carrying options of Western Flyer! When the weather is hot is sooo nice to be able to take the bag out of your back and carry on the shoulder!

    Quote Originally Posted by tdivcr View Post
    Good luck with your choice. Oh yes, my major bags--Aeronaut, Tristar and Brainbag--are in steel and my Synapse in navy. I find steel somber enough for serious business situations, like grey and navy suits, but different enough from black to be able to differentiate quickly if I need to. And steel is good at hiding dirt, important in the tropics.
    Now I am tending more to steel! I have always used black bags and now I am tempted to experiment with a lighter color but that would be easy to mix and match with each other. I love black bags because it camouflages the zippers and give a sleeker look, but the Pilot / Co-Pilot have such a clean design that the zipper donīt bother me at all. Actually is the one bag design that I am really tempted to have in various colors!

    Thanks for sharing, I still torn between Western Flyer and Synapse but I you gave me more to chew on!
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-18-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: correcting misspelling
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

  5. #5
    Registered User eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    Gulp. I'm too busy swooning over your dreamy list to think. Will return to give it actual thought soon. :-)
    Please do Amanda! I really need help with this impasse!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    546
    Hmmm.... Stock in TB? Would love to get some lol, and agree with eWalker that it would be something to be really proud of!

    @eWalker, what if you like ALL of the new stuff? Wouldn't that reset all of your planning?

    Regarding the single compartment versus many compartments issue, I found myself in a similar situation when I first got my Synapse 19.
    But it was easy to get used to and I found that I didn't have to rummage anymore as I knew which section my stuff was in.

    I've realized weather makes a big difference as well, earlier in the year when it was not that hot and humid, I could run around in my S19 with not much issue. Now that the temperature has crept up to 30 degrees Celsius (and will continue to climb in the coming months), with the additional factor of humidity (70-80%), a 15 mins walk from my home to the MRT(Metro or Subway to the rest of the world) in the early morning, before the sun has even risen, leaves my back soaked. That's why I caved and bought a Steel Dyneema Pilot for hot as hell weather EDC.
    eWalker likes this.

  7. #7
    Registered User eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Hmmm.... Stock in TB? Would love to get some lol, and agree with eWalker that it would be something to be really proud of!

    @eWalker, what if you like ALL of the new stuff? Wouldn't that reset all of your planning?
    Yup! But it is unlikely to happen... My biggest doubt is between the Western Flyer and the Synapse 25. The WF is 26 liters and the S25 is 25 liters, TB is debuting the A30 that has a close volume to then, so my guess is that is a unlikely that they will offer another bag around the same size.

    BUT, I am worried about WF being discontinued due to A30 debut! On the other hand that would put an end to the impasse!

    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Regarding the single compartment versus many compartments issue, I found myself in a similar situation when I first got my Synapse 19.
    But it was easy to get used to and I found that I didn't have to rummage anymore as I knew which section my stuff was in.
    I agree! I all a matter of taking the time to build the new habit!

    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I've realized weather makes a big difference as well, earlier in the year when it was not that hot and humid, I could run around in my S19 with not much issue. Now that the temperature has crept up to 30 degrees Celsius (and will continue to climb in the coming months), with the additional factor of humidity (70-80%), a 15 mins walk from my home to the MRT(Metro or Subway to the rest of the world) in the early morning, before the sun has even risen, leaves my back soaked. That's why I caved and bought a Steel Dyneema Pilot for hot as hell weather EDC.
    You got my point 100%!

    If was not for this I would go for S25, to be able to experiment with itīs design. BUT with an A30 + WF combo, if the weather is hot as hell, I can wear both bags as shoulder bags and let my back breath.

    That is one of the nicest points of using this two bag setup!

    I even considered two A30 but that would be pushing the envelope on the personal items bag!
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-18-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

  8. #8
    Registered User Yoda Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    Having carried around both the S25 and the WF full (same stuff), the S25 is considerably more comfortable if you want to carry it as a backpack. That said, it looks like you want to carry it primarily with your A30?, which I assume you would prefer to carry as a backpack, making the 2 backpack configuration awkward.

    Although, after my 5th scroll back up the thread, to look at your 42 different configuration options - it appears you also want to carry ultra-light with the pilot or co-pilot. I did 10 days in Europe with an S25 and a co-pilot - worked great. Clothes and such in the S25, carried the co-pilot all day as my "tourist bag".

    However, S25 is not friendly for business clothes packing - so if you want to do ultra-light business travel, I would definitely go with the WF. I am adding a Tri-Star to my collection for business travel (in combo w/a pilot or co-pilot) because I can't get the business clothes to work out in the S25.

    I think you have already noted this, but the design of the S25 is super-cool - much more interesting (to me at least) to pack and use than the WF.

    Not sure any of that was helpful, but offering FWIW.
    eWalker likes this.

  9. #9
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    But after reading the extreme ultralight traveling based on Synapse 25 alone, I was tempted to try:

    7. Aeronaut 30 (only)
    8. Synapse 25 / Western Flyer (only)

    The idea of building a "Capsule Travel Set" was to have a good range of available options to play with and try on. I can even try:

    9. Synapse 25 / Western Flyer + Co-Pilot
    10. Synapse 25 / Western Flyer + Pilot
    I'm taking my WF plus (borrowed) Pilot for a 5-day trip to the US - I'm flying Delta and don't want to check a bag, and the WF easily conforms to their carryon limits. I've also done WF only (for a weekend trip), thanks to EasyJet's one-bag policy.

    If you're havering between the WF and S25, I'd say go with the WF + backpack straps as it gives you more options. The S25 is only a backpack, whereas the WF can be carried on an absolute strap as well.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

  10. #10
    Registered User eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    Having carried around both the S25 and the WF full (same stuff), the S25 is considerably more comfortable if you want to carry it as a backpack. That said, it looks like you want to carry it primarily with your A30?, which I assume you would prefer to carry as a backpack, making the 2 backpack configuration awkward.
    I think that to be feasible, the configuration would have to be S25 + A30 with AS (almost added a second "S"! )

    I have carried the A45 as shoulder bag and it was quite comfortable, therefore I am assuming that the A30 will be the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    Although, after my 5th scroll back up the thread, to look at your 42 different configuration options - it appears you also want to carry ultra-light with the pilot or co-pilot. I did 10 days in Europe with an S25 and a co-pilot - worked great. Clothes and such in the S25, carried the co-pilot all day as my "tourist bag".
    @Yoda Sloth, after I read @Scribe and yours post, I took some time to rethink this setup...

    Fact 1. I used to travel with the A45 using CP only at the destination. So I get by with 45 liters luggage space.
    Fact 2. A30 + S25 would give me 55 liters of luggage space, 10 liters more then I usually carry.
    Fact 3. My past travels have been in hot to warm weather places.
    Fact 4. A30 + Pilot would give me 43 liters of luggage space that is pretty close to my original setup (considering that I could use the PCSB or PCBP as day bag).

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    However, S25 is not friendly for business clothes packing - so if you want to do ultra-light business travel, I would definitely go with the WF. I am adding a Tri-Star to my collection for business travel (in combo w/a pilot or co-pilot) because I can't get the business clothes to work out in the S25.
    I believe that the S25 will work best for a more detached leisure travel anyway. I think if your travel plan include taking your luggage always with you, to keep moving forward, sleeping in different sites, S25 would be the best pick!

    You made the right combo, the S25 with a smaller cross body bag!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    I think you have already noted this, but the design of the S25 is super-cool - much more interesting (to me at least) to pack and use than the WF.
    After watching @ScottE22 My first "What's in my bag?" video: Synapse 25 and reading @jppreston Round the World with a Synapse 25 post, I can surely agree with you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    Not sure any of that was helpful, but offering FWIW.
    You are very helpful, I have a tendency to always think in terms of volume of luggage space and you helped to think outside my box! Thanks!!
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-20-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: misspelling correction
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

  11. #11
    Registered User Yoda Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    Glad to help! I resisted the urge to ask why you wanted to carry 70 liters of stuff anywhere....

    Strongly concur with your statement here:

    "I believe that the S25 will work best for a more detached leisure travel anyway. I think with your travel plan include taking your luggage always with you, to keep moving forward, sleeping in different sites, S25 would be the best pick!"

    If you are going to keep the bag with you all day, I think the S25 is a far better choice. However, packing it in a way to live out of can be a challenge, unless you think through it with that in mind. (but since it is obvious from the above thread that you do think through things thoroughly, this should be no problem )


    There is a great thread somewhere (oh, wow, I actually found it!) on packing the S25 to "live from". Not sure how to link, but here is the post from MelissaL:
    (buried in this thread: Tetris packing the Synapse 25)

    "I am not a well-traveled person but I have commuted with my S25 to and from work with clothing and I can tell you that they key to the S25 is to pack as little as possible. Pick clothes you can wear often and that you can mix & match. Buy quick drying clothes and underwear. The S25 is cavernous in size but that teardrop shape doesn't allow the most efficient packing. However the shape of the bag is what I love most about the S25 because it doesn't scream "hiker!".

    The front, bottom pocket is what I call the "bathroom": all toiletries should go in there.
    One side pocket should be the "vanity": all makeup and hair items.
    The other side pocket should be "the night table": mini alarm clock, tissues, glasses or sun glasses, watch, TB travel tray.
    The main pocket is the "closet": clothes, underwear and shoes.
    The top front, deep pocket should be an umbrella and collapsable water bottle.
    The top front. shallow pocket: Your cell phone and charger.

    This is your bedroom in a Synapse 25."

    My set up is not identical to hers, but it did help me in thinking about how to use the pockets to best advantage...
    eWalker likes this.

  12. #12
    Registered User eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I'm taking my WF plus (borrowed) Pilot for a 5-day trip to the US - I'm flying Delta and don't want to check a bag, and the WF easily conforms to their carryon limits. I've also done WF only (for a weekend trip), thanks to EasyJet's one-bag policy.

    If you're havering between the WF and S25, I'd say go with the WF + backpack straps as it gives you more options. The S25 is only a backpack, whereas the WF can be carried on an absolute strap as well.
    As always, you got my head in nut cracking mode!
    You are going in a 5 days trip with WF + Pilot, 26 + 13 = 39 liters of luggage space.

    For that luggage space, I could use A30 + Pilot (30 + 13 = 43 liters). That got me thinking if I really need a A30 + WF combo now (30+26=56 liters)!
    After all I used to get by with only the A45. But I did not make longer trips with it, so I still feel insecure about it.

    At this point, I came to five conclusions!

    1st. I need to work on my packing skills using the packing cube and organizers
    2nd. I donīt need a S25/WF if I want to just enhance my former weight distribution setup
    3rd. If I really need to upgrade my luggage space, the WF is the best choice
    4th. To a ultra light, single bag I would go for the S25
    5th. I will probably end up with both bags, but not now!

    Thanks a lot and please, on your way back share your impressions about travelling with the WF + Pilot combo!
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-20-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

  13. #13
    Registered User eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    Glad to help! I resisted the urge to ask why you wanted to carry 70 liters of stuff anywhere....
    Please donīt! Always ask any question you may deem pertinent!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    There is a great thread somewhere (oh, wow, I actually found it!) on packing the S25 to "live from". Not sure how to link, but here is the post from MelissaL:
    (buried in this thread: Tetris packing the Synapse 25)

    "I am not a well-traveled person but I have commuted with my S25 to and from work with clothing and I can tell you that they key to the S25 is to pack as little as possible. Pick clothes you can wear often and that you can mix & match. Buy quick drying clothes and underwear. The S25 is cavernous in size but that teardrop shape doesn't allow the most efficient packing. However the shape of the bag is what I love most about the S25 because it doesn't scream "hiker!".

    The front, bottom pocket is what I call the "bathroom": all toiletries should go in there.
    One side pocket should be the "vanity": all makeup and hair items.
    The other side pocket should be "the night table": mini alarm clock, tissues, glasses or sun glasses, watch, TB travel tray.
    The main pocket is the "closet": clothes, underwear and shoes.
    The top front, deep pocket should be an umbrella and collapsable water bottle.
    The top front. shallow pocket: Your cell phone and charger.

    This is your bedroom in a Synapse 25."

    My set up is not identical to hers, but it did help me in thinking about how to use the pockets to best advantage...
    I read the thread you pointed! Very instructive!

    ETA:

    It does help to think is allocating categories of items to specific sections of the bag to make it easier and faster to access your travel stuff, what I believe is primordial to someone living out of the bag, and transporting stuff from one address to another.

    When I used my Aeronaut just to get my clothes & shoes from my bedroom to my hotel room and back, bundle packing was a perfect option,but when I had to deal with clean & dirty clothes and packing & repacking, my needs changed so much that I had to rethink everything, and that is when the packing organizers became a priority.

    Now you highlighted another aspect to take into consideration, after I making everything fit (with some slack), how to distribute the items to make it easier to pack & repack the bag on the run!

    @Yoda Sloth May I ask what is your setup?
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-21-2014 at 05:03 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    87
    [QUOTE=eWalker;68526]Please donīt! Always ask any question you may deem pertinent!

    Alrighty, eWalker, I'll bite! Why do you need to carry 70L?

  15. #15
    Registered User eWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Please donīt! Always ask any question you may deem pertinent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    Alrighty, eWalker, I'll bite! Why do you need to carry 70L?
    LOL! I donīt need and I donīt want!

    I got carried away with the Maximum Carry-On Size parameter!

    When I started to research for new luggage I needed a goal, some parameter to direct my search, and on the site One Bag, I read and quote to make it easier:

    "you want a lightweight (not more than 1–2kg, 2–4 pounds) bag that's no larger than carry-on size (for most commercial aircraft, the rule-of-thumb is length + width + height = no more than 45 inches, about 114cm) with a non-rigid structure (which conforms better to both the bag's contents and the places you might stow it) and sturdy construction."

    Afterwards, I learned about the Personal Items Maximum Size...

    Name:  United-Carry-On.png
Views: 447
Size:  139.7 KB

    So started to search for the Maximum everything! My reasoning was to work from the outsize to the inside, meaning that after determining what was the limit I COULD carry, I would select WHAT to carry.

    Then after I started to read the Forum and specially about ultralight packing and Project 333, I realized that you can live out of a suitcase with much less then the Maximum-Allowed , but I did not realized how much less until I made my first wardrobe using Project 333 rules in the beginning of this week!

    Even without using high performance travel outfits, I was way below the need of 70 liters!

    When I wrote the post I was so focused on the bags that I overlooked that!
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-21-2014 at 05:15 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0