• 1 Post By icebeng
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By alief
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By icebeng
  • 1 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By spindlitis
  • 1 Post By RhoFro

Thread: question about materials - when is it parapack?

question about materials - when is it parapack?

Can someone help me sort this out? I think I'm clear on the difference between cordura, parapack and dyneema. Where I get lost is in knowing what I am ordering.

For example, the Synapse 19 comes in "420d HT nylon Classic Parapack — or — ultralight 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop exterior — or — 1000 denier Cordura®" I can clearly see the items in Dyneema because they say that. In the dropdown for S19, there is Olive Cordura, Olive 420d and then the Burnt Orange doesn't say anything about material. What is that made of then? Does all Parapack clearly state Parapack the way the Dyneema does?
    (another q: is the parapack as light as the dyneema)

Also, boy oh boy, do I wish there was a way to search by fabric. I'd love to know what all is out there in parapack or in dyneema. Is that something that I am just missing?

If this has all been covered in other posts, just point me that way and I'll read up. I did a cursory search but typing in Parapack yielded MANY results. Thank you all!
    eWalker likes this.

AFAIK, if it says '420d' in the dropdown, it's parapack; if there's no weight, it's cordura or ballistic, depending on the bag. Travel bags are mostly ballistic; cafe bags are cordura.

Denier (the 'd') is literally the weight of the thread in grams per 9000* metres. So as a rule of thumb, a 420d parapack item should be around 5%** heavier than a 400d dyneema equivalent (e.g. nordic Synapse), or about twice the weight of a 200d equivalent (e.g. wasabi Side Effect).

* I know, it's a bit of a weird measure, but "denier" is an old French coin, so I guess the modern measure approximates to a much older one.

** generally less than, since the weight of straps, zippers, etc will be the same in each
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Here's a different way of looking at it, might still be confusing though.

Parapack - comes in Black, Steel, Navy and Olive.
    Dyneema - comes in Black, Steel, Ultraviolet, Wasabi, Iberian, Nordic(retiring)and Solar(retiring).
    Ballistic Nylon - comes in Black, Steel, Navy, Aubergine, Forest and Cardinal(retired).

Any other color names you see would usually be in Cordura. So the Burnt Orange is in Cordura.

ETA: might still be confusing because the colors Black, Steel, Navy and Wasabi are still available in more than 1 material. These are usually clearly marked though, so they shouldn't be too mind boggling.

ETA2: the fabric search idea sounds appealing to me too, I'd like to add to it by suggesting the option to filter by color too. I'm pretty sure many here would love "filter-Dyneema-Nordic"
    Last edited by icebeng; 06-17-2014 at 01:48 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alief View Post
    Also, boy oh boy, do I wish there was a way to search by fabric. I'd love to know what all is out there in parapack or in dyneema. Is that something that I am just missing?
    I know others have expressed a wish for this feature, but I don't know if the Miva shopping cart software supports it. The site search only goes by the text on the page, so for example a search for "nordic" brings up the Pocket Pouch but not the Medium Cafe Bag.

The only thing you can do at the moment is browse the product sections, as the little swatch icons seem to be kept reasonably up-to-date. Dyneema is easy to spot because it has a white diamond shape on the icon
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Thanks guys! I really like the look of the parapack. I thought I had read on here somewhere that it was only slightly heavier than the dyneema (not in durability or thickness but in "carry-on luggage is limited to 7kg and we weigh it all" weight).

You're right about the swatches, scribe. I can so easily spot the Dyneema. I wonder if they could superimpose a little clear P or something on the parapack ones. That would eliminate any confusion and I could browse more easily.

I'm just so gutted that I missed a S25 Steel Dyneema that was going (briefly!) on eBay. I love the look of the Olive (in parapack) and the Burnt Orange (which I know is not in parapack now that icebeng has explained to me) is lovely too but maybe not going to work for work.

Parapack and Dyneema - ahhhhh. Now I can go to sleep and dream about them.
    eWalker likes this.

Olive parapack is very handsome - I have a S19 and a SE in it that I use as my workday EDC.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:

One more point to add in regarding Dyneema fabrics, if you're looking at a bag that isn't also a packing cube, there are only 2 possibilities for the exterior Dyneema fabric, Black Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema (which is retiring). All the other colors are for interior lining or for accessories.

Here's a list of the stuff currently available in Parapack

Bags

Guide's Pack (and related accessories)
    Founder's Briefcase (and related accessories)
    Synapse 19
    Small, Medium and Large Cafe Bags

Accessories

Side Effect (none in Parapack available right now though)
    Double Organizer Pouch, both small and medium sizes
    3D Mesh, Fabric and Clear Organizer Pouches
    Snake Charmer

as for Dyneema Bags, I can't list out nearly everything on the site lol
    More than 1/2 of the TB bags has a Dyneema version, so you'll have to use the swatch method.
    eWalker likes this.

I agree that it can be confusing.

In general, the format is: "Exterior_Color Material / Interior_Color". The "Material" part of the format is omitted if there is only one material option (e.g. the Guide's Pack).

But, I find that the format is, for the most part, not followed with the new colors - Cocoa, Burnt Orange, French Blue, Kelly and Plum - where the Material is not stated (e.g. there is no Material mentioned in the menu entries under the S25, S19 and SCB but the Material is mentioned in the LCB and MCB).

It could be that TB just forgot to put it in consistently or it could partially be because of space issues on the drop down menu. If you put in "Burnt Orange Cordura / Steel", the last letters may be cut off so you cannot see it (like the "(On Backorder)" is cut off now). If there were more than 1 option of Interior fabric, you would be able to see the difference from the menu entries unless you added them to your Cart / Wishlist first and checked it.

Note that for the interior material, you generally need to look at the bottom specifications section to get that information.

Lord knows what they will do with the new Brain bag - Cordura exterior, Ballistic bottom, Parapack interior!!

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-17-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I can usually figure out the exterior fabric. It's the interior that is hard to sort out. When I returned my Linen/Navy LCB, I asked which LCBs had Cordura lining. It turned out to be two, Olive/Olive and Plum/Wasabi. I ordered the Olive/olive and am happy with it. But I suspect that Cocoa/Wasabi also had Cordura lining. It just gets confusing.
    eWalker likes this.

You're right. It shouldn't take a roadmap to figure out what you're ordering and it could be a lot clearer on the order site. Numbers that correspond to fabric cross referenced elsewhere on the page results in a lot of frustration for customers. For bags in color combos, perhaps the drop should say Black-C, Black-P or Black-D to keep it simple. For accessories only in 1 color it would be nice if people knew right at the point of order, without all the reading, if it's 400D or 200D.

The topic of color, fabric and what/what comes up enough on the Forum to indicate it sufficiently confuses customers. I have a bag coming and frankly I have no idea what the interior is. I look at it as a surprise but most folks don't like their retail purchases that way.
    eWalker likes this.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0