Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bluefrogj
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By monkeylady

Thread: Pilot Small PC

Pilot Small PC

Hi all! I'm a newer TB customer but enjoying most of my first purchase. Now looking how to refine my current TB use. I use a LS for all my knitting supplies. I have a SE in it for my EDC.

I need something to hold a growing collection of knitting needles and one of the bags I am seriously considering (b/c it is the right size) is the Pilot PC.

Can anyone tell me if that is a full Dyneema bag or one that has some mesh to it?

It says "Steel" as the option. I'm not sure which that means....but I figure it means it isn't all mesh?

TY!
    eWalker likes this.

I haven't received my Pilot and PCs yet (keeping my fingers crossed they ship soon!), but my other packing cubes are mesh on one side, 200d steel dyneema on the other, so I'm guessing the Pilot is no different.

You'd probably be better off with a PCSB if you need something about 10" long. It's about an inch bigger all round than the the Pilot small PC, and also a lot more versatile - you could store smaller items in the outside pocket, and add a shoulder strap if you want/need to carry it around.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I am the owner of both the CoPilot and Pilot. The Pilot is currently sold out and TB is not accepting any backorders at this time. As far as I know, the two fabric types used for exterior construction has either been ballistic nylon (plain color) or Dyneema (little checks). Bags regardless of exterior fabric have been lined with Dyneema. I'm not sure what mesh you're speaking of, unless it's the Dyneema, which isn't a mesh, although you've probably picked up people's observations that the Dyneema has more "give" to it. For instance, I can fit my Ipad mini in my dyneema SE more or less easily but snugly, but not easily in my ballistic SE. If you've read color listings as Steel with no qualifier of dyneema, the description was referencing the ballistic fabric. Hope this helps.

Oops! I now see you are talking about packing cubes! My bad!
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I haven't received my Pilot and PCs yet (keeping my fingers crossed they ship soon!), but my other packing cubes are mesh on one side, 200d steel dyneema on the other, so I'm guessing the Pilot is no different..
    TY! That is exactly the information I needed. The fabric makeup. You're right. I think the PCSB will be better. If one whole side is mesh, that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Just in case this helps, I am attaching a photo of my unzipped Pilot PC. Top and bottom are dyneema, and the sides have minimal densely woven mesh.Name:  PilotPC.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  146.0 KB

Size wise, the PCSB is slightly smaller than the PC, and since it just unzips at the top, it might be less likely to spill out things, since it does not unzip to flat. Good luck!

Ooh, that's interesting - clearly the smaller PCs are constructed differently from the larger ones!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0