Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Need help deciding color for Tri-star

Need help deciding color for Tri-star

I'm new here, but a long time lurker. I've been wanting a TB bag for awhile, but have been going through paralysis through analysis. I travel 2-3 days a week for work and a suit is a common article in my packing. I've been eyeing the Tri-star to complement my trifold garment bag. Depending on the situation, i figure I'd select one over the other. I imagine it may replace the garment bag in the future.

Along with the garment bag, I have been carrying a Tumi briefcase I received as a Father's Day gift a few years back. I have been considering traveling with a single bag instead. Now I need to select a color for the TS. My first reaction is to select black, but the black dyneema is interesting to me. I just don't know without seeing the actual item, if the black dyneema would look out of place at an office. Thoughts?

Typing on an iPad, please forgive the typos.

It would depend on the type of office. I take Nordic Dyneema to all kinds of business meetings (in the Pilot) and it has never been out of place. I work in technology, but do wear a suit on occasion when I visit clients.

In my opinion, the black dyneema is more "formal" than the nordic, so would likely be ok. Unless you do something super conservative or formal, I think it would be fine.

I have a pile of black dyneema items around (I keep thinking I will take a couple back, but haven't yet...), including a Tri-Star if photos of some sort would help you with the decision making...

Absolutely! Pictures would be great! Thanks

Black seems safest, especially if you are regularly in a suit. If you want to differentiate your bag slightly from the sea of black luggage, steel would be elegant and distinctive.

Black Dyneema to my mind is versatile and can work in many environments. The grid pattern softens the look slightly and allows it to play nicely in a business casual or more creative context.

(I love color but for work I'd be inclined to lean to the subdued side. Actually, in an environment that calls for a suit, for myself I'd do Steel or Black. If you have your heart set on color, I'd go with Aubergine, Forest, or Navy before the Dyneema, if any of those is in a color family that you also use for business attire.)

You might ask if they will send you a swatch of the different materials, to see how you like the look and feel of each.
    Last edited by haraya; 06-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.

To me, it has never been a question of "is it professional or formal enough?" It is.
    Black Dyneema's white grid lines reminds me of graph paper, so my opinion is, it makes you look more "technical".

But then, I can't really say I'm a neutral party here, even if you were to bring along say, an Iberian Co-Pilot, I'll probably go "OOOH! TB BAG!!" And then the question of it being formal or not, goes out the window lol

This question comes up rather frequently, I wonder if a Black Dyneema bag owner who works in a formal environment would be willing to take a photo of themselves wearing a suit and the bag, then post it here?

Actually, Steel Dyneema or Nordic Dyneema would probably work too, we all love photos, so bring it on! ^.^

I think it really depends on your line of work. Generally, I think black dyneema (or even 400d steel dyneema) is formal enough for the office and a full suit, and would look great on casual Fridays. However, I'd be a bit hesitant about bringing black dyneema to a client meeting, especially if everyone's toting leather bags or all-black Tumis. However, I can only speak for the legal industry, and in a part of the world that's not the US.

I had this same dilemma as I use mine primarily for work and my organisation is a large multinational company. Generally therefore I err on the side of conservative with dashes of colour or design. Because of this, I strictly only considered Ballistic rather than the Dyneema. The ballistic has a wonderful 'quality' look and feel.

In the end I went for Black/Steel as I knew I couldn't go wrong with it in almost any setting. I then supplemented it with the red zip pulls. Together this works really well for me and I feel it looks very professional. I also have the Steel dymeena backpack cube which I also use on trips. The Steel dyneema is actually quite dark which I like and is ok in a work setting. The dyneema works for me in the small backpack (already a more casual looking bag) but wouldn't work so well for me in a briefcase style design.

Name:  Photo 09-06-2014 04 39 15web.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  297.0 KB

I also have a Ballistic Steel Aeronaut with UV Interior. I think the Steel in Ballistic also works in a business setting but with perhaps a more subtle interior. It does look more green though in some lights which does put me off it a little. In addition, I do have a Black Ballistic Zephyr with Wasabi interior which I use for some business activities. The wasabi is quick subtle so works great. Lastly, I have a Ballistic Navy with Solar Ristretto. As that bag is a more casual design I think I could get away with the colour combo at work. The Navy is very rich and therefore exudes quality.

If I had a choice again, I'd go for Black with either Wasabi/Solar (although black/solar would be brave) or even Navy with either wasabi/solar but then I don't think the red zip pulls would work with those interiors. And I really like the red zip pulls.

Of course, all of the above is a matter of personal taste and depends on the business you work for, but just wanted to share what works for me personally. Hope you get lots for feedback from others to get a rounded view on this. Good luck.
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Zephyr (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Ristretto 13 (Navy/Solar), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

I think black ballistic/wasabi dyneema is a hard combination to beat - ultra-conservative on the outside, but with a pop of colour to give it a bit of personality.

I'm not keen on dyneema as an exterior fabric myself, but that's just personal taste. I can see that it makes a big difference weight-wise (which is one reason I love the parapack S19).
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Adding a photo of my black/wasabi WF (with a water bottle to make the lining more visible) alongside a black dyneema PCSB:

One of the reasons the dyneema looks less formal is that the stitching is more visible, e.g. around the zips (probably more obvious on the PCSB's diagonal zip). Again, YMMV...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scribe; 06-15-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Adding a photo of my black/wasabi WF (with a water bottle to make the lining more visible) alongside a black dyneema PCSB:

Scribe, I love the look of your Black Dyneema PCSB! It looks quite stunning and chic against the Black Ballistic WF. Wish I had ordered a 400 dyneema PCSB myself...
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post

One of the reasons the dyneema looks less formal is that the stitching is more visible, e.g. around the zips (probably more obvious on the PCSB's diagonal zip). Again, YMMV...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Scribe Your combo looks great!

Boy how I regret missing the ship on the black Dyneema SBPC!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    RhoFro likes this.
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 19 days to go!!

Thanks so much for the pictures! The black ballistic/wasabi combination looks great and I agree the black dyneema SBPC looks awesome. I ordered a Nordic one already and it should arrive tomorrow, but I think I'm going to have to give my Nordic one "to my wife" and order the black dyneema for myself . This is extremely helpful. If someone has a black dyneema TS and can post pictures of it, I'd appreciate it. I've seen the pictures online, but they are mostly of the steel dyneema and not black. Thanks for all the feedback. This forum is awesome!
    eWalker likes this.

I have a black dyneema on order and should be here soonish (not shipped yet). I loved the steel dyneema, more than the black dyneema but I like the lightness of it and steel dyneema is no longer. If I didn't get black dyneema, I'd probably get forest.

Also, I just have to say that black seems so ... boring? I mean it is so ubiquitous that having something else, even steel, navy or forest would be good 'business' choices as well but would avoid the black. Plus for security reasons, I think it always good to be able to identify your bag in an instant, which you don't get in a sea of black.

There is a side-by-side with the black dyneema on the tri-star here - OBOW Gear Reviews: Tom Bihn 400d Dyneema/420d Nylon Travel*Bags. It helped me to see it beforehand. I have a black dyneema/wasabi interior TS on order (cannot wait for it to arrive!) and really think that it will work for pretty much all of my biz and other travel. I do work on the creative side of tech, but my clients are certainly not all creative leaning.

I have the black dyneema/wasabi combo & steel D and C. I'll try to get you a photo once if it stops raining so you can see how it looks in natural light. Did you see this awesome Tri-Star? The Tri-Star saved me in Indonesia! That would work for profession & casual (is less boring than black); not sure when it's due back in the offerings rotation.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0