Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Need help deciding color for Tri-star

This is black dyneema/wasabi (bottom), steel dyneema/wasabi (middle) - so you could see the contrast, and steel cordura/UV (top). Pardon the unglamorous patio chair.

Name:  B3.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  588.1 KB

For a bag like the Tri-Star, I personally think it holds it's shape better and is more protective in cordura. I exchanged the Aeronaut in cordura for dyneema for the extra pliability; too perfect once black became available. But that bag would be floppy if not stuffed. It stood on its own in cordura.

I was never a huge fan of wasabi, but it's a lot more lively paired with black vs steel. Totally jumped at the chance to get a black dyneema/Iberian S25 but sadly I don't think it has ever been offered in the Aeronaut - my tags are still on just in case!

Long story short, if you go black, go dyneema. More personality. But consider if you need the cordura posture in your Tri-Star.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    This is black dyneema/wasabi (bottom), steel dyneema/wasabi (middle) - so you could see the contrast, and steel cordura/UV (top). Pardon the unglamorous patio chair.

For a bag like the Tri-Star, I personally think it holds it's shape better and is more protective in cordura. I exchanged the Aeronaut in cordura for dyneema for the extra pliability; too perfect once black became available. But that bag would be floppy if not stuffed. It stood on its own in cordura.
    Do you mean Ballistic?

AFAIK, neither the Aeronaut or Tri-Star are offered in Cordura.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (Iberian), Co-Pilot (Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (Iberian), Pilot (UV)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (Wasabi), Pilot (Wasabi), Side Effect (Wasabi), PCSB

Right, ballistic not cordura. I have cordura on the brain since getting those OPs this week. Ballistic is smoother and shiny, not as soft like the canvas feel of cordura.

I have gate checked the Tri-Star with no worse for the experience (other than my nerves). Has anyone checked a dyneema piece?

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    Right, ballistic not cordura. I have cordura on the brain since getting those OPs this week. Ballistic is smoother and shiny, not as soft like the canvas feel of cordura.

I have gate checked the Tri-Star with no worse for the experience (other than my nerves). Has anyone checked a dyneema piece?
    On our flight back from Rome (stopover in Munich) with 2 dyneema aeronauts, we checked them. No issues.
    RhoFro likes this.

I too, spent too many hours trying to decide what color to "start" with. A TB Pilot was my first big purchase, and I decided on Navy and Solar. So glad I did, as I was thinking black myself, but the Navy has a little flair over the black. Black, Navy & even Steel Ballistic would be great choices- after all they are TB bags!
    eWalker likes this.
    Navy/Solar PILOT, w/13" MBA cache, Large Shop Bag, various colorful pouches, straps, sacks, 3D mesh, large Dyneema org. cubes and Olive SE. As always, more TB stuff on order!

I have taken photos for the forum before, but never, never, have I put a suit on (on a Sunday no less) to take the photos... My daughter (the photographer) asked about 15 minutes in, "What does this guy want anyway?", and I said, "he wants to go to the TB Store, but he lives too far away, so I feel sorry for him..."

So, I took photos in a suit with the Nordic Dyneema Pilot, the Black Dyneema Co-Pilot, and the Black Dyneema Tri-Star. I also took some shots alone of the Tri-Star, and I put them all together (adding a Black Ballistic Swift as it is the only thing I could find in black ballistic) so you could see the contrasts between the various fabrics. As you can see, the fabric looks different in different shots - included several to try to give you an idea of the range of colors dyneema will appear in differing lights. (the photos attached in random order, so I guess that is how you will see them )

You might also notice that the Tri-Star looks pretty big if you are thinking of carrying it as a briefcase type bag. I am 5'6", so it would look vastly different being carried by a 6'5" male....

After I got the Nordic Pilot, I wished I had gotten the black, as I thought it would be "dressier", but then I got the black dyneema co-pilot (for a personal trip carry-around-European-cities-all-day bag), and I missed the Nordic. Perhaps I should just admit I like them both. A lot. (I got the Tri-Star during my like-black-dyneema phase, although it still has its tags on it...) Just so you know you are not along in your search for the perfect TB fabric for your bag..

Let me know if you want/need more photos (ones that don't involve putting the suit back on anyway...)

{More photos in the following post}

Name:  P1030138.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  824.0 KBName:  P1030107.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  620.6 KBName:  P1030123.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  646.9 KBName:  P1030136.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  802.1 KBName:  P1030106.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  594.8 KBName:  P1030126.jpg
Size:  861.8 KBName:  P1030124.jpg
Size:  811.5 KB

I think Tom Bihn needs to entertain a new job opening for 'Situational Luggage Model'. You nailed it! I think the champion was black dynemma, you worked it like a supermodel

I love this forum! What a great thing to do Yoda Sloth! I love the pictures and you can really see how the dyneema would look on a conservative business outfit. I think it looks great!

The Black Dyneema TS is BEAUTIFUL! 0_0 I'm more of an Aeronaut girl myself, but wowza!

And here are the rest.

Name:  P1030139_3.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  127.4 KB
    Name:  P1030140_3.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  125.0 KB
    Name:  P1030141_3.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  121.0 KBName:  P1030145_3.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  154.9 KBName:  P1030146_3.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  148.4 KB

Great pictures! I think one always look smart with a TB bag..no matter the colour!

@Yoda Sloth
    Thank you for the photos! You look sharp, sophisticated and classy!
    Something else just occurred to me, for those traveling(or disembark the plane) in business attire and has a stranger waiting to receive them, the Dyneema makes you just that little bit easier to spot. Heck, not just off the plane, any new place you go to! Especially if you're arriving with a sea of black suits and bags.

I love how you carefully laid out a blanket for the bags. Being a Nordic advocate, the Pilot is gorgeous. But in a more formal setting, the Co-Pilot looks amazing with the suit!

I think it's tough with your 'entry bag'. You want to go conservative to stretch the price tag to the maximum possible scenarios, but at the end of the day the quality speaks for itself and you can really pick any color.

And, it's a slippery slope to trying out *all the colors*, I'll just add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the best forum ever!! Yoda, thanks SO MUCH for your time and effort! The black dyneema is stunning. I'm comfortable, from those pictures, the dyneema is formal enough for my needs. In the end, I don't think I can go wrong with black or the black dyneema. This has been so helpful and I thank everyone for their willingness to contribute to my first post!

I no longer own a suit, as my business dress days are long behind me, but I love your photos Yoda Sloth! Thank you for taking them, well done!
    eWalker likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0