Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MtnMan
  • 1 Post By tpnl

Thread: Brain Bag + laptop questions

Brain Bag + laptop questions

I understand a Brain Bag backpack from Tom Bihn can be ordered with annex clips to accommodate a Tom Bihn Vertical Brain Cell protective laptop case. I also understand a Brain Bag can be ordered with an extra set of annex clips so that a Brain Cell can be clipped into either or both of the Brain Bag's main compartments. Is this all still correct?

I also understand that a Brain Bag can be ordered with a Cache. Can a Brain Bag be configured to offer a proper "Cache with Rails" setup? If so, can it be configured to work in both of the main compartments, as with the Brain Cells with annex clips?

Can a Brain Cell be configured so that both main compartments of the backpack are configured to work with either the Brain Cell with annex clips and/or the Cache-with-rails?

Would either of these annex/rails hardware configurations interfere with the installation of an optional Camera Insert/Outsert?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    eWalker likes this.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

You are correct that the Brain Bag still has the annex clip functionality to hold a Brain Cell. There are three places to attach a Brain Cell - 1 on the back of the back main compartment, 1 on the back of the front main compartment and 1 on the opposite front side of the back main compartment. The first set of Annex Clips are provided. Any additional Clip sets need to be purchased. In effect, the Brain Bag can hold 3 laptops in Brain Cells. I did that once - very heavy but the bag can take it.

The recent Brain Bags have the "Cache with Rails" functionality for both main compartments. The webbing is attached to the back of each of the main compartments. Note that the "checkpoint-friendly" functionality will only work for one of two laptops - same as with the Synapse 25. Note that my comments on the rail system are based on the Brain Bag write up on the TB website. My bag did not originally have the Cache with Rails loops - I retroactively added them to mimic the current Brain Bag.

As for a Brain Cell / Cache mixture at the same time in a Brain Bag, it can be done (let me know if this is what you are asking as I was a bit confused by your question).

The annex/rail hardware will not interfere with the Camera I/O (which also uses Annex Clips and the lower attachment points) other than that you will not be able to fit a Brain Cell and a Camera I/O in the same compartment due to the depth of the Camera I/O. You may be able to squeeze a Cache with Rails in the same compartment but it would be tight and would expand into the next compartment. Doable be I would not recommend it.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have a specific configuration you are looking to test in the Brain Bag and I can see if I can try it.

Cheers!
    eWalker likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Thank you.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

What does a customer have to do to order a Brain Bag with double annex clips and rails for a Cache? Can it be ordered via web or do you have to custom-order it over the phone?

You can order what you need via the web - no problem.

From what I read and know, the BB comes with 1 set of Annex clips and already has the 2 sets of webbing loops (what is required for the Cache with Rails system) as well as all the loops for the annex clips (6 sets). In addition to the BB order, you just need to order another set of 2 Annex clips from the parts page.

In summary, just order the BB and an extra set of Annex clips from the parts page.

Now, as an aside, please note that there is an updated version of the BB coming out shortly - from Darcy's comment on backorders:

"The updated Brain Bag will be in the works soon, but it's not yet available for pre-order and likely won't be for at least another month or two"...

What is different about the updated BB version?
    Note on the Brain Bag: the next batch of Brain Bags will be made with an exterior of 1000d Cordura, an interior of Parapack, and (due to your popular demand) a bottom of 1050d ballistic nylon. And, oh yeah: more o-rings (!!!). When the updated Brain Bag debuts, the new price will be $190.

If you can wait, I would get the updated Brain Bag!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0