Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BarryLee
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By tpnl

Thread: Synapse Pocket Sizes

Synapse Pocket Sizes

Iíve got a Synapse 25 in Dyneema and was thinking over the weekend I might like a slightly smaller version in cordura. So, after checking Synapse 19 availability I realize my options are sort of limited right now, but I still have a quick question.

So, obviously the main compartment and lower front pocket are different sizes. However, I was curious if the four upper pockets are the same size in both bags?
    eWalker likes this.

I only have the S19, but looking at the photos I think all its pockets are smaller than on the S25. The little centre one isn't much different, but the other three are quite a bit taller on the S25 and just a touch wider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

My 19 side pockets measure about the same as th 25 pockets but when I stick my hand in both the 19 feels a smidge smaller. If your 25 pockets are not stuffed you'd be fine with a 19.

The water bottle pocket of both is 10 inches deep and the zipper length is the same on both.
    eWalker likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I found a couple of reviews commenting on the pocket sizes of the Synapse 25 compared to the 19 that may be of some help. The links are as follows:

Tom Bihn Synapse 25 Backpack Review - Bigger and Better!
    Tom Bihn Synapse 25 review: Upsizing a classic laptop/iPad backpack | Macworld

Generally, the reviews say that the main compartment and the bottom compartment are where there is the most gain in volume. The side pockets also are incrementally bigger. The middle water bottle pocket is of similar depth because you still want to keep your bottle closer to the top to make it easy to take in and out.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-11-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0