Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scribe

Thread: Dyneema 200d v 400d - How to tell the difference?

Dyneema 200d v 400d - How to tell the difference?

I'm sure this has been discussed in other forum threads but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer. How can I tell which of my products has Dyneema 400d v 200d? Let me say though up front that it really doesn't matter, it really just curiosity that leads me to ask for clarification.

I've looked at the items that I have containing dyneema either as an internal fabric or an external and I really can't seem to tell the difference between them. Such as:

Internal
    Tri-Star - Internal Steel Dyneema
    Aeronaut - Internal UV Dyneema
    Ristretto - Internal Solar Dyneema
    Zephyr - Internal Wasabi Dyneema
    Synapse 25 - Internal Iberian Dyneema
    Side Effect - Internal Solar Dyneema

External
    Travel Trays - External Nordic/UV/Iberian Dyneema
    Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack - External Steel Dyneema
    Tri-star Packing Cube Backpack - External Steel Dyneema
    Small Yarn Stuff Sack - External Solar Dyneema
    Large Shop Bag - External Nordic Dyneema

I also have three 16 inch dyneema key straps in UV, Wasabi and Solar. These strangely are the only items where the fabric 'feels' thinner. I can't really tell a difference in any of the actual bag products above.

Its not likely that they are all 400d are they? I had thought I read that Nordic only came in 400d and Solar only in 200d yet they don't seem any different to me.

Lastly, and this could be me getting a little obsessed with this idea, I did wonder if the white squares in 400d were slightly bigger than the 200d? I think the squares in my Nordic fabric are very slightly bigger but I may be imaging it.

Any thoughts anyone?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Perseffect; 06-07-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added shop bag to list
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Laundry Stuff Sack (Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    200d has diagonal lines through the squares that form an x pattern. Sapphire is the only 200d that didn't. The 400d doesn't have the x's. Also the 400d may not "feel" thicker, but it should feel stiffer, less flexible than the 200d.
    As for which bags have what. . . that is a little trickier, though 400d was not used for lining bags. Predominantly the 200d fabrics were used for linings, sacks, pouches and cubes. Likewise, the 400d fabrics were used for travel bags, shop bags, and a few exteriors like on the cafe bags, Synapses and Smart Alec, until the dyneema shortage at which time a few limited edition packing cube backpacks, packing cube shoulder bags and travel trays were also made from the 400d fabric.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

In general, bag exteriors are now 400d while linings, accessories and bags made to go inside other bags (like packing cubes) are 200d.

Black and Nordic are 400d only; Solar, UV and Iberian are 200d only. Steel is the only one that came in both weights, and the 400d version is now being phased out in favour of black.

Some of the confusion is because TB has changed things up over the years (eg they once made S19s with UV exteriors, but now only make S19s with 400d exteriors). Also, they were running low on some of the 200d colours, so did limited runs of accessories in 400d colours.

Check out the TB Blog post on 400d Dyneema

Introducing 400d DyneemaŽ/nylon - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington nylon

It states one of the ways to tell the difference between 400d and 200d (as @dorayme states earlier too) - "the new 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop is a plain weave and thus lacks the fancy diamond pattern of the 200d; we feel this makes for a more straightforward, subtle, and visually appealing exterior fabric."

I agree with @terayon that 400d is reserved for bag exteriors or exterior accessories (e.g. SE, SA modular pockets) while 200d is for the interior linings and bag interior accessories (e.g. packing cubes, TT, PCBP, shop bags). However, there has been a short run of 400d PCBP, PCSB and TT. I am not sure of other limited time runs - perhaps others will remember.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-07-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Lastly, and this could be me getting a little obsessed with this idea, I did wonder if the white squares in 400d were slightly bigger than the 200d? I think the squares in my Nordic fabric are very slightly bigger but I may be imaging it.
    You're probably not imagining it - the squares on my 400d black dyneema PCSB are at least 1mm bigger (by eye) in each dimension than the ones on the 200d steel OP that I have inside it. I don't know if this holds for all 400d colours, though, as I only have the PCSB in 400d.

Your iberian and UV Travel Trays will be 200d - "external" doesn't mean absolutely any external surface, only the external surfaces of travel bags, backpacks and messenger bags. There are 200d dyneema Side Effects and Shop Bags as well as accessories such as Travel Trays and Stuff Sacks.

The best clue is colour:

* Is it black or Nordic? It's 400d

* Is it steel? Could be either - look for diagonal patterns in the weave

* Is it anything else? It's 200d

HTH!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Thanks all.

I had missed the posts with the diagonal weave differences. I'm going to take another look at it all.

Thanks again.
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Laundry Stuff Sack (Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    The best clue is colour:

* Is it black or Nordic? It's 400d

* Is it steel? Could be either - look for diagonal patterns in the weave

* Is it anything else? It's 200d
    I check my items using the above and sure enough, the advice above was true. All Nordic was without diagonal weave and all other colours (I don't have Black dyneema) other than Steel were diagonal weave 200d.

The steel is interesting and wanted to clarify in case others were considering certain items.
    Tristar bag - Internal Steel has diagonal weave and is 200d
    Tristar packing cubes - Steel has diagonal weave and is 200d
    Tristar Backpack packing cube - Steel does not have diagonal weave and is therefore 400d
    Aeronaut Backpack packing cube - Steel has diagonal weave and is 200d

I'm really pleased to have the Tristar backpack packing cube in 400d as I use it for a laptop day bag 'in country' to complete the true one bag travel. Having 400d in it is comforting that it is a bit stronger for this use.

Interesting though that the Aeronaut backpack packing cube is not also 400d. This is a little disappointing but I may have just got lucky in having the Tristar version in 400d. Perhaps there is no logic and it was just a particular production run with the different material.

Thanks all and hope this little extra on the differences in the packing cube backpacks helps others.

Thanks for pointing out the PCBP differences. I sent mine back when I returned my TriStar so I can't check it, but IIRC there was a run of 400d Steel for some items earlier this year when the 200d Steel ran low, just as there were a few limited-edition black and nordic TTs, PCSBs, etc at the same time.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0