• 4 Post By dorayme
  • 3 Post By RhoFro
  • 1 Post By carl0
  • 2 Post By Tlacltme
  • 2 Post By RhoFro
  • 1 Post By RhoFro

Thread: Can a Bihn Backpack Diehard?

Can a Bihn Backpack Diehard?

Really could use some guidance if anyone has done a GoRuck Challenge, and/or has input on whether a Bihn bag could survive it. I'm thinking of registering (soon) and need to decide on a pack so I can train with it. The GoRuck equivalent pack for me would be the GR0. Since they are 1000 cordura I'm wondering if a Bihn could handle it as well, possibly a Brain Bag?

The 2 immediate issues I see are whether the hydration tube is as easily accessible as the GR0, and the Brain is a bit bigger - not sure how that would effect my load bearing. On the plus side are the super sealed zippers and I know we're going aquatic, and the pack will be submerged (my dyneema S19 & S25 say 'no thanks'!) likely in salt water.

This is what I have to carry:

Packing List

There are a few things you absolutely need for your Challenge:

A rucksack or backpack (any kind will do, but of course we recommend GORUCK gear)
    Bricks or filled Filler Bags*
    Water (hydration bladder recommended)
    Cab fare if you need to bail (but we hope you don’t)
    As a team, you will also need one 15lb team weight and one American flag.
    Obviously, there’s plenty of other gear that makes life easier during an event. Download the full Packing List PDF for more gear suggestions.

*4 bricks wrapped in duct tape or 1 20# sandbag

I need another pack like I need malaria but if it has to be, I'd like to atleast look at my Bihn options first.

Thanks in advance.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Mkay, I'm about as out of shape physically as a sloth, but I went to investigate this GoRuck thing of which you speak because of the duct taped bricks. . ., and now I want to find and sign up for the Light with my dh. Mind you, he is a runner, I most definitely am not any more. Maybe it's because I want to belong to the larger group, maybe it's because I want a patch that will never be sold, maybe it's because I know my dh would be all about this, and it would be a challenge, but I'm going to see what he thinks about this. And I'm very curious what you discover RhoFro.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

That's great Dorayme! I think it may not be the best idea *but* if I make it through, I'm positive it will suddenly become the best, most fun idea I've had in a while Plus the event is on my birthday. Everything I've read from past participants calls it transformative & a blast.

And hey, it gets real with a bag selection and packing list.

I haven't done a goruck, but I would guess that not having a hydration bladder would be really annoying. Not only to stop and get a bottle out every time you drink, but the bricks or sandbags you're carrying would probably shift and need readjusting every time. The goruck bags have MOLLE on the inside that you can use to secure the weights.

I've been looking at the goruck bags as well; pretty much settled on an sk26, and they stopped making them. (Not to do a goruck or anything, just as an edc bag that's bigger than my synapse 19.)
    RhoFro likes this.

PS -- did you see the goruck bullet packs? Not sure if that's too small for the event you want to do? But they are way less money than the GR0.

Took another look at the inside of the GR bags, not sure the MOLLE helps the way I thought it would. Anyway... :-)

Found this post so ironic as I've been debating about whether to sign up for a GoRuck Light challenge this fall!

I think a TB bag could withstand a challenge, I'm just not sure I want it to, if you know what I mean! I've been looking at the 10L hydration bullet for 2 reasons: 1. it is specifically designed to handle a hydration bladder (and I'm a big water drinker so I wouldn't want to pack a million plastic water bottles) 2. I wouldn't feel as protective towards it as I do my TB gear-- I'm not overly careful in everyday situations with my TB gear, but I'm not crawling through the mud and using it to hoist full-bodied adults over walls either
    dorayme and RhoFro like this.

I didn't realize the Bullets were Challenge legal, but you're right - they can do a Light (as well as the Echo). The GR0 is framed for better balance which is what upgrades it and it could be used for events higher than a Light if needed. 4 bricks or up to a 30# sandbag fit the Bullet. Since that's about my carry, there wouldn't be room for shifting which is a plus; less binding down. I've seen where folks wrapped their taped bricks in yoga mat foam and then velcro'd it in place.

The good thing is you get 20% off equipment when you register for an event so it's not too bad. I'd love to hear from anyone who uses a Brain Bag before making a decision on the pack.

Thank you Forum Members for the positive feedback about this event. It's encouraging to know I'm not out of my mind and others here are considering it. I told my PT a little bit about it today and was expecting to hear "sure, I'll get you ready for that" rather than "why would you?" I did find this eBook that just came out, for anyone who may be interested in the experience: Amazon.com: Four Bricks: How the GoRuck Challenge taught me that I was capable of so more than I ever thought was possible... eBook: Dan Finkelstein: Kindle Store

I'm thinking for registering for the Nov event in Miami and fly in down from Atlanta. If I do, a friend who has never done a GoRuck gets to participate for free. I'd be doing the Saturday Light and evening Scavenger but registration also includes Friday's full Challenge. Anyone want to join me?? If nothing else we can destroy our rucks on the beach and carry our Bihn Synapes for the night Scavenger. That would make for a really cool meet-up!

PS_I picked up a GR gym bag during Steals & Deals because Bihn doesn't have one. Didn't expect to be so impressed by something so basic. Went back and ordered a Civvy which was a true steal during the sale and it's a total monster. Can't believe it's carry-on legal but it is perfect as an emergency go bag that I'll let get canine gnarly unlike my Aeronaut.

<< PS_I picked up a GR gym bag during Steals & Deals because Bihn doesn't have one. Didn't expect to be so impressed by something so basic. Went back and ordered a Civvy which was a true steal during the sale and it's a total monster. Can't believe it's carry-on legal but it is perfect as an emergency go bag that I'll let get canine gnarly unlike my Aeronaut. >>

I looked at those steals and deals 100 times but never pulled the trigger. Dang.

I'm intrigued by the goruck events, but with a baby at home, I can't even think about it right now. I'm still trying to get back into something that even somewhat resembles a workout routine!...But I would love to hear about how it goes for you. Definitely post after the event and let us know!!!

Here is an interesting review of the Goruck GR1 and Smart Alec and I think it does a good job comparing, IMHO, TB and Goruck’s different philosophies in terms of their backpacks. Both are good but have different purposes.

The Goruck GR1

Some interesting points:
    - Goruck is more rugged (better be given their mandate!) – but also weights more (about 1.25 lb or 70% heavier). TB SA better in a business setting, Goruck in a hiking scenario (thought I would say they are the same).

- TB SA has more dedicated spots for things where you can reliably ‘know’ where things are and better laptop protection with the Brain Cell, Goruck is more unstructured and has less laptop protection on the top and bottom

- Goruck is easier to pack when travelling in the same way thank the Western Flyer would be (easier to open up to get at clothes) but the TB SA more convenient to unpack / get items if in tight spaces and can handle zippers being left open by accident

IMHO, to answer your question, I think the Brain Bag (like the SA) is very durable with similar materials and workmanship to Goruck. I have a 2004 Brain Bag and the 1000d Cordura is not worn at all. With the adjustable compression straps you should not have to worry about the bag being too big or unwieldy/unbalanced to carry. Tom also makes a version of the Brain bag in Camo – so I would say it can do military duty like the Goruck and work well at the event. See some links below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tombih...57629555543642
    Brain Bag in Digital Camo!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tombih...57629555543642

Concerning your question about a hydration bladder, here are a few links:
    Brain Bag hydration?
    Video: Packing the Smart Alec for a hike - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

Others in the forum should be able to chime in on this as well.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Thanks for all that great information! Hadn't looked at the Smart Alec but when I did, found it out of stock.

I did a lot of research on this topic over the weekend and here's the result. For the event, I am pretty certain that a hydration tube out is a must and I realized drainage holes would be a big plus to get the water out quickly.

Unwilling to trash my Bihn gear, I opted for a Falcon 2 which I found for (I think) a real steal. Such a deal in fact, that it left me enough change in my pocket (vs buying a GR0) to order that Brain Bag today in B/S/S!! By the way, my new S25 doesn't even get here until tomorrow - as if I need a Brain Bag. BUT - all I had to hear from Darcy was - **Nordic Travel Tray** (now or never) and the clicking commenced.

Besides, once I started thinking about the Brain Bag was it ever going to go away until I just got one? Get out of my head and into my collection.
    carl0 likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0