Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By saikyo
  • 2 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By carl0
  • 1 Post By Espresso
  • 1 Post By Ilkyway
  • 1 Post By Rb12
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By saikyo
  • 1 Post By saikyo
  • 1 Post By terayon
  • 1 Post By icebeng

Thread: Synapse 19 dyneema - inside aeronaut for destination bag

Synapse 19 dyneema - inside aeronaut for destination bag

Going on another trip soon and will be spending some time at a theme park.
    Now that I have a toddler I have to carry more gear. Kids stuff.

Was thinking about gettting a Synapse 19 to stuff into my Aeronaut so that I can use the Synapse at the theme park to carry stuff in.

Actually this is exactly what I'm talking about.
    Packing a Synapse into an Aeronaut

Um yeah.

So, how do people like their dyneema Synapse bags? The thinness and lack of structure in a dyneema bag makes me wary, but for a day bag it should probably be pretty nice right?

Just looking for confirmation.

Becoming a bag addict here...
    eWalker likes this.
    Pilot: Black Ballistic Nylon / Iberian
    Aeronaut: Steel/Ultraviolet
    Stuff: Snake Charmer / Packing Cube Backpack

I have an S25, not an S19. It is steel dyneema/wasabi. Although ludicrously light in weight, oddly, there is nothing about the pack that feels flimsy.
    IMHO, this is due, in great part to all the compartments built into the bag. There are zippers and seaming galore which makes for a certain structure to the bag. You would probably greatly appreciate all the outside compartments where you could find things in a jiffy instead of digging through a cavernous hole for anything. A goodly number of folks pack their Synapses inside their Aeronauts, especially if they are wrangling wee ones. Some pack them empty, some use them as a packing cube. If you are flying somewhere, you can remove it from the Aeronaut to keep with you, full of vital essentials.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I agree, there is nothing flimsy about the bag. It stands up on its own, which I didn't expect since there is no frame sheet. Had mine about a week.
    eWalker likes this.

I've had my Synapse 19 for at least three years and use it for my EDC and for travel. It still looks new; it's a steel dyneema/solar. It has been very water resistant through snow and downpours (and one coffee spill). I agree with monkeylady -- the pockets and o-rings + organizer pouches help to give it structure.

If there were there things that I'd wish to change, it would be additional o-rings near the internal pocket and perhaps, a Synapse 22.5.
    eWalker likes this.

saiko I think it will just work fine for you. Maybe you have something flat against the bag like a magazine or a coloring-book or something. If I have nothing flat in it and have to many small but poky items they start do dick in my back. Other than that: I love my dyneema 19S and I always find a way to pack it, that nothing pokes. And vivelly just recently brought the idea to my atantain to put two bottles next to each other in the bottle-pocket. So you can carry something for your child and something else for you.
    eWalker likes this.

I don't have a dyneema, but do have an S19 and just used it with my two toddlers on our Disneyland/Seaworld/SD Zoo circuit and it worked out phenominally. It was easy to tuck in between my legs on rides and fit just fine even with no flat/ridgid items in it (mosly loaded with coats, clothes, cameras, water bottle, and snacks).
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    @saikyo I'm guessing from both your current statements and past comments that you don't have any direct experience with the 400d Dyneema bags, and are basing your concerns about the "thinness and lack of structure in a dyneema bag" on your impressions of 200d Dyneema, and the comments about "floppiness" when you decided to get a Ballistic Nylon Pilot rather than the 400d Dyneema version.

First of all, I have the Synapse 19 both in the original Cordura version from the first production batch, and in 400d Dyneema. (I also have the Synapse 25 in 400d Dyneema, and selected the Dyneema version directly -- I can envision purchasing this in Cordura instead if there were a color I really liked.) Even the (earlier) 200d Dyneema versions of the Synapse 19 do not lack structure. This is because the all the Synapses share the same back panel design of padded, high quality, closed-cell foam with an exterior of Dri-Lex® Aero-Spacer® mesh and 400 denier nylon supporting the back, and because the organizational arrangement of the pockets and seams form a structural network. And Darcy has been using the original 200d Steel Dyneema/Solar Synapse that came out of the first production batches of the Synapse as a hiking pack, so I think your concerns about the 400d Dyneema Synapses holding up for day pack use are unfounded.

Finally, as far as using the Synapse 19 as a bag for spending time with kids at a theme park, there are several forum posts recommending this bag for use to visit Disney World and other places (including with pictures).

HTH. moriond
    eWalker likes this.

You know what, I was imagining the Synapse 19 dymeena to be the same as the packing cube backpack for the Aeronaut that I have.

Now I see that the packing cube is 200 denier Dyneema®/nylon ultralight ripstop fabric, but the
    Synapse is 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop: 1 lb 7 oz / 650 grams

Completely different.

Wow looks like the dyneema is on back order until September! Won't be using it this trip then. Cool though that it's not what I was expecting! Sounds great!
    eWalker likes this.

I really want a Synapse 19 now.

I can't get one in time for my up coming trip, but I want one for future use.

Now that I'm looking at some other threads I'm not sure if I want it in parapack or dyneema.

Any recommendations in that area?
    eWalker likes this.

Well, I think Parapack vs Dyneema really comes down to which you prefer the look of, because the weight difference is minimal and I really can't imagine that there's going to be a big difference in durability. (I have a Parapack S19 and shop bags in both weights of Dyneema, and both seem like they'll outlive me. And I'm in my thirties!) I suppose which one is available in which colours when you're ready to order might also play a role, too.
    eWalker likes this.

Yeah, if you look at the Large Cafe Bag's weight, the difference between the Parapack and Dyneema versions is about 70 grams or 2 oz, not much there.
    Parapack has a sheen to it and comes in 4 colors, Black, Navy, Steel, Olive, and I believe all 4 has been used for the Synapse 19 before.
    Dyneema won't look shiny on the exterior, and has the distinctive white grid lines. Unless they announce a new color, or decide to use 200d Dyneema for exteriors, there's only 1 color option, Black Dyneema.
    Which do you like more?
    eWalker likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0