Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By terayon
  • 4 Post By terayon

Thread: Requesting more reviews of the Ego

Requesting more reviews of the Ego

I looked through old posts and would appreciate it if any of you could resurrect the Ego Packing List thread or post pictures of your Ego/yourself so I can get an idea how to pack one up efficiently. It is a very tall bag!

Is the Id no longer being made?

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I looked through old posts and would appreciate it if any of you could resurrect the Ego Packing List thread or post pictures of your Ego/yourself so I can get an idea how to pack one up efficiently. It is a very tall bag!

Is the Id no longer being made?
    It (the ID bag) was removed from the "Messenger Bags" section, but can still be found under the "Briefcases" section. Same status as the Pilot though, sold out in all colors until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    It (the ID bag) was removed from the "Messenger Bags" section, but can still be found under the "Briefcases" section. Same status as the Pilot though, sold out in all colors until further notice.
    Oh - thank you for pointing the way! Somehow the search function doesn't always pull up what I want, and I did not recall any mention of it being retired.

You're very welcome! But now I think I'm in serious trouble if I can point the way to a bag I wasn't even hankering after in the 1st place!
    Hope you get the help you need with your Ego

The ID was on the list of items that won't be available for backorder.
    Update on Backorders

It looks like much of the site was updated to simply not show items that can't be backordered, to simplify the site. My guess it that the ID's second home on "briefcases" wasn't included in those changes.

I have used my Ego since September, first as a diaper bag/EDC when I was on mat leave (it was HUGE for that, though I definitely liked all the pockets) and then for work. I carry an iPad, but no laptop. I have the Absolute strap, and use swivelling metal snap hooks attached to cheater Ds because untwisting the strap when I pick it up drives me irrationally crazy. The Absolute strap is a good option, IMHO, because it's a big bag and can get heavy.

Here is my bag all loaded up, with an iPad Air for scale.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  80.9 KB

Here is what's in the main compartment - that's a PCSB (not full) and my SE (which goes from bag to bag with my essentials like money, cards and Kindle Paperwhite), with a size 2 TSS (knitting project and mini clear OP with notions) and extra Kleen Kanteen lid (I start the day with coffee and a cafe lid and use the regular cap when I switch to water later on) on top of a large clear OP with papers and a notebook. Beside that is the iPad in a felted sleeve to which I added the Gatekeeper/rail clips to secure the sleeve into the Ego (super, super glad that they added the rail loops to the Ego just before I bought it, BTW - they were a very happy surprise, and I use them in my S19 too)

Views: 201
Size:  86.5 KB

Here is the main compartment all loaded up. I could fit more in on top if I needed to - say, my lunch.

Views: 198
Size:  140.5 KB

Here is the front compartment. This compartment is actually really big; you can put a lot of stuff in there (I have crammed a full-ish PCSB in) but it makes the front bulge out under the flap, and the bag ends up looking kind of barrel-shaped. It is possible to reach into this compartment, or to get my keys out, without undoing the flap.

Views: 197
Size:  128.4 KB

Here are the contents of the front compartment. Keys on a keystrap attached to the left o-ring, small clear OP (floss, tea bags, Tylenol/Advil in a GoTubbs container, cutlery set) attached to the right o-ring. Hand lotion and lens cleaning cloth in one of the organizer pockets, ID badge and pen refills in the other, pen/Sharpie/iPad stylus in the pen slots. Reusable shopping bag sits free in the front compartment.

Views: 205
Size:  82.5 KB

Continued in next post...

Here are the contents of the front pockets, which are all accessible without undoing the flap. In the left little open mesh pocket is lip balm. In the left zipper pocket are an iPhone/iPad external battery and charging cord as well as a mini UV OP (empty at the moment). In the left open pocket in front of the zipper pocket goes my phone, usually. In the right open pocket go my headphones. In the right zipper pocket are a couple of first aid items and a handle loop for my SE. In the right little open mesh pocket go bus tickets (yup, still using paper tickets around here :P). I carry my Kleen Kanteen in one water bottle pocket and in the summer, an umbrella in the other.

Views: 206
Size:  91.6 KB

My overall thoughts are that this bag really works well for me. It is professional-looking enough for my purposes and it accommodates everything I need to carry. I really like the main compartment not being under the flap and that I can reach in to the front compartment and pockets to get keys, phone, headphones, etc without needing to unbuckle the flap. I also really like tightening up the straps on the water bottle holders to make them essentially disappear when they're not in use - this is genius. The bag carries nicely on one shoulder or cross-body. It is really, really, really sturdy and looks pretty much new despite about nine months of use. I wouldn't say I've abused the bag in any way, but I am not particularly gentle either, and I do not baby it at all.

I have some very minor quibbles, like the barrel shape when the front compartment has a lot of stuff in it. I also find it somewhat difficult to reach all the way around the bag to the clip to unbuckle the flap when I'm carrying it, though I should point out that I'm pretty short. And it's a big bag and can get heavy, so some days a backpack works better if I have a lot of walking to do. But really, those are either nit-picks or issues with me and not the bag.
    Last edited by terayon; 06-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Thank you so much for this detailed and prompt review! Wow - I shall be using this as a go-to reference as I learn to pack up my bag and work with it. It is a very interesting squarish shape compared to the typical messenger. I am glad to hear it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Oh - thank you for pointing the way! Somehow the search function doesn't always pull up what I want, and I did not recall any mention of it being retired.
    In case anyone reads this and is in doubt, they're not being retired, just put on hold for a while so the TB crew can focus on making the new bags that are set to debut this month
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0