Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By tpnl
  • 5 Post By Tlacltme

Thread: Super Ego as a Diaper Bag

Question Super Ego as a Diaper Bag

I'm considering ordering a Super Ego (when they are back in stock) to use as a diaper bag and am wondering if anyone else has used it for this purpose and would care to offer any thoughts/opinions/advice on their experience. I had hoped that one of the upcoming promised bags might finally be the 'parental unit' but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. My little one is due in 5 weeks so I need to make some decisions fairly soon. I also considered the Pilot but it seems almost a bit too structured. However, I'm very open to advice and suggestions! Thanks in advance

@jmremy

I have no experience using it this way but here is video of someone using the Ego as a Diaper bag:

Tom Bihn Ego Messenger Bag Review - YouTube

Depending on what you want to carry, the Ego may be a good choice over the Super Ego (which is huge). Plus, the Ego is in stock. Do not be fooled into thinking the Ego does not hold much. It has more volume than an Empire Builder, almost twice the volume of a Pilot and 80% of the volume of the Super Ego - but with a small, more travel friendly footprint. The one thing I really like about the Ego design is that there are pockets you can access without needed to open the flap in addition to the main zippered pocket - good to quickly get keys (or a wipe cloth!). Also, the front compartment feels almost as large as the main compartment - good for separating clean and dirty items (or my lunch / breakfast from my electronics).

Either way, I would suggest getting the Q-AM strap if you want the option of carrying whatever Ego you get as a backpack. I would suspect Stuff Sacks and Travel Sacks would be useful to separate dirty and clean items. A Snake Charmer is also good judging from this post:

Diaper Charmer!!!!!

Other suggestions are a Smart Alec - see this link:

The Best Diaper Bag

I have read that a Synapse is good too. I am guessing but a Large Swift or a Large Café Bag may be an option too. Also, the Imago and Buzz (retired TB designs) have been known to be used as diaper bags.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

P.S How a Ego Diaper Bag video convinced me that the Ego was a good bag for me to haul my electronics and other geek gadgets, I will never understand ... but I will not argue with good design!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-02-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I need to add that my wife and I have used a co-pilot for a diaper bag for the past year and it's been just perfect!

Diaper bags are a personal thing. Some like to pack for every contingency. Some need to pack a lot if their children have special needs, allergies. Some people want a bag that can be slung over a stroller handle. Some prefer a backpack style. Some want a separate diaper bag that can be dropped with baby at a sitter's house, others prefer to incorporate the diaper bag with the parent's bag so that Mom or Dad is only lugging one bag around.

I have eight kids and I feel I've tried nearly all of the various configurations I am also a stay-at-home mom, so over time my preference has been to one-bag-it.

Based on my experience and preferences, I would say the Super Ego is too big- unless you have triplets or something. Maybe even then. My recommendation would be the S19 or S25 if you prefer the backpack mode. The S19 and 25 are great because they're more streamlined than the Super Ego. Bottles and sippy cups go inside so you're not bumping your baby or others with the cup holders. If you want to be able to sling a bag on the back of a stroller, I'd say the Co-Pilot or Pilot. Again, they have the great built in cup holders so you don't need to worry about bottles falling out or anything like that.

Really any of the TB bags can be turned into diaper bags with the right internal organization. For example , I love the 3 quarter clear packing cube as a diaper/wipe caddy. I can throw this in my Large Cafe Bag or my S19 or I can carry it loose into the gym and leave it in the childcare room, hanging neatly on a hook. I know some people use the Snake Charmer for the same purpose.

There's no perfect bag as your child is constantly changing, as will his/her needs and therefore your needs! TB gear is awesome in its flexibility that way.

I'd encourage you to pack as light as reasonably possible...and have fun!

Hope this has helped and Best Wishes on your new baby!

I tried the Ego as a diaper bag for a while, but found it too big and also realized that I much prefer backpacks for this purpose. Ego is now my work-only bag while S19 with a PCSB as a diaper kit inside is my non-work EDC. It's easy to leave the PCSB behind if the kids aren't with me, or with the sitter if I'm dropping them off.

Thank you for all the info! I hadn't even thought of an S19. I use an S25 as my main bag for work and I guess I just had it in my head as a 'computer bag'. The more I look at it, however, it does seem like it might just be perfect

Thank you for your input I think I'm going to go with the S19 after yours and Tlacltme's input. I think it will work perfectly for what I need

Glad it was useful. Diaper bag preferences vary a lot from person to person, but at least with whatever TB bag you go with, it's pretty easy to repurpose or sell if you later decide you'd like something different.

Good luck with the new baby - so exciting!