Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Synapse 25 - Fitting 15"-Diameter Watercolor Palette Inside the Main Compartment

Synapse 25 - Fitting 15"-Diameter Watercolor Palette Inside the Main Compartment

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me. I'd like to purchase the Synapse 25 and (amongst other things) use it to carry my art supplies when I'm doing plein air painting. Before I place the order, though, I really need to make sure I'll be able to fit my watercolor palette inside the main compartment. The dimensions of my round palette are as follows: 15" diameter and 1-3/4" thick/tall (image attached). I'm pretty sure the height of the compartment will be fine, as it's designed to take a 15" laptop, but I'm a bit concerned about the width (and to a lesser extent, the depth) of the compartment: the published width is 13.4", which is, strictly speaking, too narrow, but sometimes bags can accommodate a bit more than the published specs would suggest, so I'm hopeful. . .

If you own this bag, do you think you could please take a moment to double check the dimensions of the main compartment for me, so that I can determine whether or not I'll be able to fit my palette in? I live in the UK, so this would be quite an expensive purchase for me, and its quite important that I don't get this wrong!

Many thanks is advance for any help/information you are able to provide.

Cheers,

Carole

Name:  Watercolor Palette.png
Views: 435
Size:  374.5 KB

Carole,

Welcome to the fold.
    I believe I have in my studio a disc-y object about that measurement and I could check later today.

Btw,
    Here is a link to a site for watercolor trays that are quite travel friendly in their compactness and seal-ability,
    that I am about to order myself.
    Heritage Paint Palette, 18 Wells - Cheap Joe's Art Stuff
    ( they come in lager sizes as well, personally I prefer to use a multiple of trays rather than one large one in my travels)

Also, in a few weeks I will be putting together a review of sorts using a variety of Tom Bihn bags as an Artbox/ Artbag. I find his bags and accessories incredibly useful in corralling and accessing art supplies for plein air painting.

Cheers

Hi Trailhiker,

Thanks for replying and offering to double check the dimensions -- that would be great if you could do that.

I've seen that palette and heard good things about it -- as you suggested, the rubber gasket makes it unique, and prevents your paints from turning into bricks.

It undoubtedly would make my life easier if I just took multiple, smaller palettes (or even just one!). However, it's also nice to just be able to use the set up that I use at home -- that way there's no decision about what to bring, and I can rely on muscle memory when reaching for things. I do have a small 4x5" Schmincke palette that I can fit 26 half pans into, as well as a Nomadic Wise Walker CB-01 backpack that I use when I want to travel really light -- as I said, it would just be nice to have the option of taking the full palette when painting is to be the main focus.

I look forward to your review! I eat things like that up!

Cheers,

Carole

Short answer, it does fit.
    Long answer, I'll have pics tomorrow night.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  36.6 KB Name:  4.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  42.9 KB

Carole, I don't have a 15" anything around the house. I did have a 14" pizza pan though. It fit pretty comfortably in the S25. I can see a 15" item fitting. When I put the pizza pan in there and zip it up I get two extra fingers (one inch) of space before I apply any pressure on the zipper at all. When the bag is closed it all seems to fit really well. There is plenty of space top to bottom so no worries there. I agree with Trailhiker, it will fit. You'll have plenty of room left over for a water bottle, jacket, lunch and so on too. Hope this is useful to you.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 05-31-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Trailhiker and Moose,

That's absolutely brilliant -- thanks so much to both of you for testing that out for me!

Moose, your photos are really helpful. I think the roundish bottom shape of the bag and the way it tapers/slopes towards the top will work really well for what I'm trying to carry. Other bags that will fit the palette are much larger -- or at least appear to look much larger.

Cheers,

Carole
    Moose likes this.

Carole, you're welcome. One of the photos disappeared over night. If I can figure out what happened I'll fix it.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

The Long Answer with pics, :-/

In response to the question, can a 15 inch watercolor disc / tray fit in a Synapse 25?
    So I scavenged thru my studio and came up with a 16 inch by 1.5 inch lazy suzanne.
    The two Synapses I tested are a 420 Black Parapack and a 400 count Steel Dyneema.
    They both fit about the same snugness,
    (Ok, the dyneema had a skooch more room)

I then added a collection of likely art supplies to go along with the disc.

13 pics will follow.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  100.5 KB

Views: 224
Size:  57.2 KB

Views: 225
Size:  65.6 KB

Views: 228
Size:  98.9 KB

Views: 229
Size:  102.0 KB
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 06-02-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    Moose and Ilkyway like this.

Closed with just the disc,

Views: 224
Size:  88.2 KB

Views: 226
Size:  112.6 KB
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 06-02-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    Moose and Ilkyway like this.

Contents in addition to the 16 inch lazy susan,
    (Added to the main compartment)
    One 10 " by 14" watercolor block
    One Lead's pocket stuffed with supplies.
    One Field Journal
    One metal bin with watercolor crayons. .
    One black brush case
    One Side effect with supplies.

In bottom front pocket,
    One tan pouch that opens up that holds 20 prismacolor Pencils in separate slots

In double pocket,
    Two 1/2 liter bottle waters

In the two side pockets,
    Could very easily be put two 3d cubes.
    (Now empty)

Views: 222
Size:  92.2 KB

Views: 228
Size:  98.3 KB

Views: 236
Size:  104.0 KB
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 06-02-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Now inside the Synapse 25.

Views: 219
Size:  112.4 KB

Views: 221
Size:  87.7 KB

Views: 223
Size:  104.3 KB
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 06-02-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Capacity wise I would say its about 80 percent full,
    It's comfortable to carry without tuning into a bloated egg.
    If carrying a watercolor tray of that size I would put a small towel at the bottom
    below the watercolor tray to absorb the impact of letting it down on a hard surface.

Now u are ready to go out and paint!
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 06-02-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Wow, Trailhiker, you really went above and beyond! Those photos are enormously helpful -- I can't believe how much you were able to fit in there! I definitely think this is the right bag for the task -- I like that I could cram it full when I need to do, but that it doesn't look rumpled and deflated when it's less full either.

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time and going to the trouble of photographing everything so clearly for me. It really is the next best thing to seeing the bag in person

Carole

You're setting a new high bar for showing those 'what fits' visuals, @Trailhiker.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

@trailhiker

Excellent, well thought out pictures. WOW!

BTW - is the Black S25 made of Parapack or Cordura?
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-03-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0